Author Topic: LF: 1:48 HMX-1 "Marine One" Decals  (Read 3957 times)

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
LF: 1:48 HMX-1 "Marine One" Decals
« on: August 28, 2014, 11:24:19 PM »
So, I'm starting on my VV-22 Marine One and I thought I could use the spare decals from my CH-46.  They are HMX-1 markings, not for Marine One (white top), but for one of the support helos (green top). 

Now, I've found Hawkeye Models Australia has VH-60 decals that could work and had VH-3 decals that are currently out of stock - I'm waiting on a response to an email I sent their way in regards to accepting Paypal and churning out a fresh batch of VH-3 sheets.

Has anyone here dealt with Hawkeye Models before?  I'd like to get some of their product, but there appears to be no US distributor available.  Or would one of the local Australians here (with Paypal) be willing to pick up the VH-60 sheet for me? 

Thanks.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: LF: 1:48 HMX-1 "Marine One" Decals
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 11:34:53 PM »
I've bought a few sheets from them, one being the 1/72 CH-53E Support.  I paid with an IMO directly and had excellent service from them.  I should add this was before the change of ownership had happened and I've not dealt with them after that, for no other reason than there wasn't anything else they offer that I was after right now.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 03:44:37 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 07:23:39 AM »
I have dealt with them before with no problems.  I would offer to act as a go-between for you but am currently overseas and won't really be home again until mid October.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 09:10:03 AM »
I have dealt with them before with no problems.  I would offer to act as a go-between for you but am currently overseas and won't really be home again until mid October.

If i don't hear back from them I'll take you up on that offer. At the rate I build,  I'll be ready for decals around November anyway. Plus I'm going to work on an interior for this project so that will slow things down even more.

Online elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 10:40:20 AM »
It's frustrating, one of the things I can access at work, but not share, is the brochure for the "white top" version the Bell/Boeing team offered some years back.  There are some very distinct differences from a stock MV-22B airframe.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 08:00:40 PM »
It's frustrating, one of the things I can access at work, but not share, is the brochure for the "white top" version the Bell/Boeing team offered some years back.  There are some very distinct differences from a stock MV-22B airframe.

Can I pick your brain as this project progresses?  I have some theoretical questions about modifying the exhausts/nacelles so they don't look like the basic Italeri plastic. Nothing that would compromise any real-world modifications, mind you, just some whiffery to subtly alter the kit.

Online elmayerle

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 08:14:07 PM »
Not a problem, the real one gets to be intricate enough.  Depending on how "whiffy" you want to make it, I can also advise on an alternate IRS system to what's installed (I was involved with the Proof of Concept test article).

Online elmayerle

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 08:56:21 PM »
One thing you need to watch for is, I believe, caught on the latest iteration of the Italieri 1/48 kit and the Hasegawa 1/72 kits.  On the real aircraft, there's a rather prominent scoop on the upper outboard aft section of each nacelle, just forward of where the IRS (Infra-Red Suppressor) starts.  I know the various 1/72 kits I have (ESCI/AMT, Hobbycraft, and Italieri) do not depict this and the "elephant ear" is rather glaringly obvious; since it's the intake scoop for the oil cooler, it would definitely be there, no matter what IRS is fitted.