Author Topic: Orchard Studios  (Read 11340 times)

Offline Ghost Rider

• Dreamer
Re: Orchard Studios
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2019, 04:43:13 PM »

;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 09:22:50 PM by Ghost Rider »
'If it looks right it flies right' - anyone hearing that phrase will instantly think  ... Hawker Hunter .

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 01:45:15 AM »
I like.  Fuel might be a problem though as you appear to be eating not the tankage - see below:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 02:20:50 AM »
Would probably need to go to a wet wing with suitable protections if you're filling the fuselage tank space with other things.  Even then, I'm not sure you would make up the difference.

Offline Ghost Rider

• Dreamer
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2019, 05:00:01 PM »
If it was extended slightly towards the rear, I calculate that bout 1/3 of he fwd would be lost to create the additional navigator station and  he aft tank would also expand in the space created when the rear facing fixed armament is removed. That combined with a wet wing and drop tanks would make up for some if not most of the shortfall.  But anyway "never let the truth get in the way of a good story" as they say  :D :D

;)
'If it looks right it flies right' - anyone hearing that phrase will instantly think  ... Hawker Hunter .

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2019, 02:33:36 AM »
In the Ar234 nighfighter (which flew one mission) they crammed the dumbass who volunteered to be the radar guy - and all his equipment - in the space behind the rear fuel tank (where the camera is shown in the line drawing).

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2019, 04:30:04 AM »
In the Ar234 nighfighter (which flew one mission) they crammed the dumbass who volunteered to be the radar guy - and all his equipment - in the space behind the rear fuel tank (where the camera is shown in the line drawing).

Yeah, you can see here:

It would have been very cramped though.

Offline Ghost Rider

• Dreamer
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2019, 11:08:08 PM »

« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 10:43:04 PM by Ghost Rider »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2019, 01:39:16 AM »
AWACS with a punch! ;)

Neat! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2019, 03:26:07 AM »
Given the Ruhrstahl/Kramer X-4 was wire guided I wonder if some sort of prop guard would be required?

Offline Ghost Rider

• Dreamer
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2019, 05:13:02 AM »

I wonder if some sort of prop guard would be required? 

Good point ???

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2019, 06:28:54 AM »
Greeaat study of Ar-234  :smiley:

First thought is 1/48 built as 1/72 AWACS.  Pick a country and time period.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2019, 09:51:58 AM »
Given the Ruhrstahl/Kramer X-4 was wire guided I wonder if some sort of prop guard would be required?

After weapons testing with the X-4 wire-guided missile the Ar-234 was converted to pusher turboprops, which, coincidentally, led to the ability to carry a second pair of X-4's inboard of the engines & to the outer missiles being able to be brought closer in, thus reducing the loading on the outer wing sections! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2019, 12:22:32 PM »

After weapons testing with the X-4 wire-guided missile the Ar-234 was converted to pusher turboprops, which, coincidentally, led to the ability to carry a second pair of X-4's inboard of the engines & to the outer missiles being able to be brought closer in, thus reducing the loading on the outer wing sections! ;)
The engineer in me wonders if those would be gearbox driven propellers as on Allison's propfan design or exhaust-driven propellers like the aft fans on the CF700 and CJ805-23 or the aft propfans on GE's GE36 unducted fan engine.  Personally, I think the gearbox driven approach would be more feasible for the times.

Offline Ghost Rider

• Dreamer
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2019, 07:23:06 PM »
It was just a design exercise as early turboprop engines would have had little advantage over internal combustion engines at the time ... with the added complications of un-reliability, complexity and high maintenance.

So, at a time when speed and firepower were critical in the defence of the Reich I give you ..... 

;)

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2019, 04:55:34 AM »

The engineer in me wonders if those would be gearbox driven propellers as on Allison's propfan design or exhaust-driven propellers like the aft fans on the CF700 and CJ805-23 or the aft propfans on GE's GE36 unducted fan engine.  Personally, I think the gearbox driven approach would be more feasible for the times.

The BMW concepts used a gearbox, the first design being a contra-prop with planetary gearing in a
ducted spinner, second contra-props with a long spinner, short annular intake and gear drive moved
aft to in front of the compressor.

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2019, 02:04:53 AM »
What's the source of those images Jon?

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2019, 10:11:30 PM »
Oh, that is lovely  :-*  What an improvement over the side-by-side Hunter trainers!

Apparently the side by side Hunters were faster than the single seaters due to the better drag coefficient of the wider forward fuselage.