Author Topic: Fantastic Plastic 1/72 Caprica Air Force Jet Viper  (Read 11473 times)

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
  • now if I just had time to finish all my projects!!
Fantastic Plastic 1/72 Caprica Air Force Jet Viper
« on: March 02, 2015, 03:31:22 PM »
Ok this is going to be my first build thread, seeing as I have been showing off stuff I'd built I'd better show everyone how I build stuff!. This model is part of a Sci-Fi GB on another site but thought it'd be nice to show it here as well, there will be a few members who will see the exact some posts on another site....cause I'm lazy!   ;D

The model is a resin model (my favourite material) released by Fantastic Plastic, though I have a feeling it's origins are from someone else but can't remember.

This model was originally meant suppose to be the Caprica Air Force fighter jet but due to changes in the show, it was only ever seen as a virtual world fighter!

Here are some shots of the Viper from the artist who created it website. http://www.pierre-drolet-sci-fi-museum.com/viper-air-force

Well there is not a lot to this model but what is there is pure resin joy! It’s moulded in a lovely cream resin with nice crisp details, no flash and best of all no bubbles......some pro-resin casting!

As you can see the details are quite nice.

Captain Scarlet is along for the build due to a slight mishap in the SPV!!!

Ok two things that do needs to be fixed though...

1, the weapons supplied wouldn’t scare anyone!!! They look so under scaled for 1/72nd and pretty lame as well! So a couple of bit from the spares box and now we have something a bit more appropriate!

2, the cockpit & canopy, some work is going to be required here. First off the canopy is moulded resin which isn’t that bad, it’s just not very clear. I should vacform a new one, but I’m not too sure at the moment. But the main issue is that the canopy is too small for the cockpit opening! This will require a wee bit of work, at the moment I’m planning to move the canopy slightly forward and rebuild the back section. I want to maintain the correct profile so this seems the best way, plus I will need to do some detailing of the cockpit itself as it is a bit bare!

The main fuselage components have been glued together with nice clean joins just a quick touch-up with file/sandpaper required, plus a couple of bit of filler require in a couple of spots.

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
Re: Fantastic Plastic 1/72 Caprica Air Force Jet Viper
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 03:48:02 PM »
ok first update  ;D  (which is really easy when you cut-n-paste!   ;) )

I normally can’t help myself and I end up modding things, just because something about them bugs me! I hadn’t intended to do too much extra on this project as I have too many others going on but.......I couldn't help myself!

First up there are a couple of small circle things on each side of the fuselage, don’t know what they are meant to be but they weren’t round so I decided to replace them.

A wee bit later and they look much better...still don’t know what they are though?

Behind the nose intake there is a moulded cowling which didn’t look that great, so out with some thin brass sheet and they were replaced. Looks much better, just need to be cleaned up.

The canopy as mentioned is too small. I wasn’t sure how I was going to fix this. In the end I thought I’d try making my own. So using the original as the plug I vacformed a new one over it. It actually isn’t too bad at all and is now the right size as well. This is only the second time I have ever tried this, the first time was the first attempt (plastic wasn’t quite hot enough). Now I just that to sort out the rear framework for the canopy which should give it some extra strength.

Next the cockpit, which was quite bare. With the new canopy I could raise the seat up which it needed as it was too low. I boxed in the rear section of the cockpit plus made a back for the ejector seat. Plus did a bit of panel work in the front section, now it looks much better. Just need to now add some seatbelts, control stick, and gun sight before painting can start (seat and rear body work can just slip out to make painting easier.

The main air intakes had a slight gap and sat in a bit too much so some plastic sheet sorted them out.

Looking even better now!  Just a wee bit of filling required and some tiding up, especially around the new cowling section and the body will be complete. The joins behind the intakes are hidden by the wings which is very nice, well thought out moulding!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 04:32:18 PM »
Whoa.. nice job.

I like the Fantastic Plastic stuff and this is looking a bang up job so far.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 08:46:19 PM »
Too cool! Now if there was just a kit in The One TRUE Scale...

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 11:26:50 PM »
Sweet!  Love the design of this thing.  Feels like it was cobbled together from a spares box and magically looks awesome!  8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 12:56:34 AM »
I wondered if this could be lit ashes but I see this would be a much better route. Awesome work

Offline 35th-scale

• On first name terms with someone called Nathan...
  • I wonder what scale he builds in???
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 05:37:23 AM »
Great job so far on a beautiful fighter

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 07:28:36 AM »
thanks for the comments, it is a really nice model to build, am enjoying the build.

Unfortunately my work sees me away from home 3 weeks out of every 4, so progress is only in bursts! Least I have time to plot & plan what to do next!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 12:55:34 AM »
I'm really impressed by how you got that canopy to fit!

Will be looking forward to when you next post progress on this beauty,

Brian da Basher

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 07:52:49 PM »
thanks, there is still quite a bit to go in this area, this will require the most work of the build. But it's nothing too major so hope to have this completed next swing home.

Looking forward to coming home and working on it...first had my work swing extended then had to sit through cyclone Olwyn, now I just want to go home!

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 01:16:13 PM »
Ok with my break home I was been really slack with this one, mainly due to another build I just had to get finished, 1/48 CAC CA-13 Boomerang. Which can now be seen in the Aerospace section.

Plus I got a wee bit side tracked on all sorts of goodies I bought last shift, some Dust Models 1/35 beasts, a 1/35 Master Piece Models Hellcat, and a 1/35 Trumpeter E-100 Jagdpanzer! Believe it or not they are all for two dioramas I have plans for!

Ok I did do a little bit to this wee beast. The fuselage needed a little bit of filling around the engine intakes and nose intake, once dried this was sanded but, I will need to re-scribe a couple of bits but no big issue.

The rest of the time spent was again on the cockpit area, the canopy still didn't quite fit right and was a little bit short. So to fix both of these I cut the rear deck section off the canopy and made a new section from card. This will allow me to move the canopy forward a wee bit which will help with the fit and give me a bit more support for the canopy. If I can't get it right I may mount the canopy in the open position, seeing as I am doing so much work in this area it may be the way to go?

Sorry no photos this time...I forgot.

Once I get this canopy/cockpit sorted then the rest will be smooth sailing and pretty quick to complete.....I hope so as I have the P-38 STGB next on the bench, which starts this weekend and I’m host!!

Only 20 days of shift to go!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 05:32:47 PM »
I really like the look of that first one.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 08:24:06 PM »

I could easily imagine that on a tank chassis

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 02:30:16 AM »

Now there's an idea!  :)
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 07:25:35 AM »

Now there's an idea!  :)

That's actually a pretty cool idea!!!  ;) Trumpeters E-100 would be the right size chassis as the upper section "turret" is quite large, plus there are a couple of other candidates as well.

The only stopping me or anyone either from adding that to the ideas/project list the Konigsluther is a wee bit on the expensive side, as in very cause it's resin!!!!!!

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 02:09:41 PM »
It's a big b**tard all right!  :o

SOURCE

I wonder whether it might be an idea to use 1/48 version (from plastic, I think) on a 1/35 tank chassis. Both cheaper and more manageable in size.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 09:18:26 AM »
WOW that is big! I didn't get that far with my one when I was fiddling about.

Guess it would have to be either a custom chassis or maybe use a 1/24th scale one?

Unfortunately they don't make this particular model in 1/48.

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 03:29:31 PM »
Well after what seems like forever and probably was, an update!

With my crazy work life and other projects this one has been pushed to one side, but have had some free time while waiting for bit on the Lightning to cure/dry.

There are still a couple of issues with the new canopy fitting but I think I have a cunning plan to fix those……I will have the canopy open! This should save me some fit issues plus I still had to make the canopy a bit longer to fit, so opening it should do the trick. Plus with the cockpit detail in modules it will mean it will be easier to paint and I don’t have to fit it until towards the end which will be nice!

The wings and tail have been fitted, again the fit was almost perfect so just a couple of dabs of filler and that was sorted. I’m very much to the stage that I can start painting. The original scheme was a bit bland but I will stick with it an just make a couple of alterations that should give it a bit more life.

Just stuck the bits of to see how she is looking, I do like this model a lot!!! I wish someone would do a 1/48 or 1/32 version, would buy that in a flash!

I won’t be making the finish line of the GB this is being built for but I will eventually get this one out of the way.

Next update....painting?

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 04:12:41 PM »
Jet Viper is cool  8) and Sidewinders look perfect on it.

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 07:59:00 PM »
yeah, the kit ones were way too small, plus I am going to fit some Meteor Missiles from a Euro Typhoon I have, just to give it something a bit more....realistic?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 02:03:37 AM »
I wish someone would do a 1/48 or 1/32 version, would buy that in a flash!

I am with you there.  The closest might be this from Alfred Wong:

Details here
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 04:48:06 AM »
now thats cool!

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 09:01:32 PM »
Well after what must be ages I have finally managed to get back to this one, a big push was made to get this one finished for the GB. Sorry this final update is photo heavy!!!

I had made quite a bit of progress since last update, I worked on this one while waiting for bits and pieces to dry on the P-38.

Finished up all the body work and gave her a quick undercoat before her final topcoat. Was really happy with the finish, though the instructions said it was only painted in the one colour overall it did look a bit bland. So a quick bit of masking and a splash of Neutral Grey and she looked much better.

All the other little bits and pieces were paint their various colours as well, once completely dry they were all be given a coat of clear before further detailing.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 09:04:17 PM by trickyrich »

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 09:07:34 PM »
....and she’s done!!!

I really didn’t think I would finish this one in time, but out of the two builds I’m was working on she was the easiest to finish.

The final detailing was completed and the whole thing was put together. The only real issues was the decals, they were super thin, very delicate and are on one giant piece of film, which made life fun!

But in the end she was finished, and I am so happy with how she came out!! The “added” missiles suit her and the little bits I added make her more complete…..in my mind.

To any one wanting to build one of these…go for it! Just remember you will need to fix up the issues with the cockpit being too small, but other than that she’s a lovely model…just wist someone would do a 1/48th version.

Next on the list of builds is a "ChompBot" (an Industria Mechanika resin model) and the B-51G "Tropic Moon III" beast!!!

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 11:12:23 PM »
that looks really great.  Nice work