Author Topic: Suggestion for Modification to Ideas. And Inspiration area  (Read 5478 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Suggestion for Modification to Ideas. And Inspiration area
« on: January 07, 2013, 03:43:44 AM »
The following has been suggested:

Suggestion for Ideas and Inspiration: Maybe add a subforum of "Build Planning" for guys still in planning phases, then add links to related BP threads in the first post of each I&I thread? (For example, linking to my F-15SE/Special and Mike's F-15SMT+ threads in post 1 of the F-15 thread, kinda see who's doing what that may benefit from shared experience.)

I would like to hear members' thoughts on the suggestion.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:50:53 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
Re: Suggestion for Modification to Ideas. And Inspiration area
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 04:03:26 AM »
I would very likely be a frequent visitor to such a subforum. I like the idea of a section dedicated to sharing ideas on how to tackle various problems.
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 04:31:10 AM »
Instead of making it a sub-forum it may be more prudent to just make it a forum in its own right.  Like the "back bar" for all model building projects with no additional categories (sub-forums). 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 04:40:34 AM »
I like the idea of a section dedicated to sharing ideas on how to tackle various problems.

I think that is what the Tips, Tools and Techniques area is for.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 04:59:11 AM »
Right... I'm having an inarticulate moment, it seems. I take the TT&T section as being more general, in the sense of say "hey, anyone got any suggestions on how I can make an effective cast-metal look for armour models?", whereas this seems to me to be more like, "taking inspiration from the EA-6 and the EA-18, I'd like to build an EA-14. I've thought of this and this and this, but ..."

...now that I think of it, that could be just as well suited for a TT&T thread. How would this new (sub)forum differ from the existing one, then?
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 09:07:20 AM »
Personally, I don't see the use of such a subforum. You could post your ideas in the existing threads and discuss the ideas there. That would keep all ideas regarding a specific type (say, the F-15) to the thread for the type. Creating a new subforum would just scatter the thoughts all over the site. You'd have the build planning threads, the build threads and the thread specific to the type in the Idea and Inspiration section.
If you're looking for general ideas, post them in the Ideas and Inspiration thread regarding the type. If you're further into the build planning and want to debate some fairly specific ideas, you could do that in the in-progress thread for your build.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 05:10:07 AM »
Moritz has stated my own thoughts and reservations precisely.

Gi out ma head.  ;D
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 05:13:06 AM »
Yeah, I like that, too.  I don't look as closely at the text in some of the build threads, but I read the I&I threads closely.  I'd like to be a party to these discussions.  I think they're appropriate in the I&I.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 05:26:40 AM »
Personally, I don't see the use of such a subforum. You could post your ideas in the existing threads and discuss the ideas there. That would keep all ideas regarding a specific type (say, the F-15) to the thread for the type. Creating a new subforum would just scatter the thoughts all over the site. You'd have the build planning threads, the build threads and the thread specific to the type in the Idea and Inspiration section.
If you're looking for general ideas, post them in the Ideas and Inspiration thread regarding the type. If you're further into the build planning and want to debate some fairly specific ideas, you could do that in the in-progress thread for your build.
Moritz has stated my own thoughts and reservations precisely.

Gi out ma head.  ;D
Yeah, I like that, too.  I don't look as closely at the text in some of the build threads, but I read the I&I threads closely.  I'd like to be a party to these discussions.  I think they're appropriate in the I&I.

Have to agree, best to keep it simple. 

No one said you have to add to an existing topic with your own comments for a build planning or work in progress comment.  You could start a separate topic with a code up front in the subject line like "BP" for Build Planning - XX-XX or ""WIP" for Work In Progress, "FB"/"BF" Finished Build/Build Finished, etc. to identify what ever subject you are planning to build.  That way as you progress with your build the topic can sink quietly to the bottom of the sub-forum when you have completed your project. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg