Author Topic: BroPlan CANT Z.1007 Isotta-Fraschini Asso XI Inline Engines  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
BroPlan CANT Z.1007 Isotta-Fraschini Asso XI Inline Engines
« on: September 14, 2020, 02:02:56 AM »
The Cantieri Aeronautici e Navali Triestini (CANT) Z.1007 Alcione (Kingfisher) medium bomber based on the Z.506 Airone (Heron) seaplane were amongst the largest wooden aircraft to see combat during the 20th Century. Both designed by Filippo Zappata (1894-1994) they flew well though Z.1007 airframes suffered badly from adverse climatic conditions in North Africa and Russia. Regarded by some aero historians as the best Italian bomber of WWII Alciones flew with the Regia Aeronautica Italia (RAI), Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana, Aviazione Cobelligerante Italiana, Luftwaffe, Croatian Zrakoplovstvo Nezavisne Države Hrvatske and Free French.

In 1935 Zappa designed the three-engine Monoderiva (single-tail) Z.1007 and twin-engine Bideriva (twin-tail) Z.1011 powered by Isotta-Fraschini Asso XI inlines first flying in March 1937 (MM.337) one year after the Z.1011, twenty-nine months after the Z.506 Airliner (MM.291). The Z.1007’s design & performance was clearly superior to the Z.1011 leading to the RAI ordering 18 aircraft on January 9, 1936 and a further 16 on February 23, 1937 deliveries taking place February-October 1939. Before they were constructed Zappata initiated a major redesign of the Z.1007 to resolve problems with Asso-powered aircraft as the Z.1007bis, e.g. longer wings of greater span & area, Piaggio P.XI radial engines, heavier offensive & defensive armament though empty weight increased by 1,280lb maximum takeoff 1,960lb.

The mid-wing Z.1007 Asso & Z.1007bis, latter with fully retractable three-point landing gear, was aerodynamically cleaner than its contemporary the mixed steel tube & sheet, wood & fabric Savoia-Marchetti S.79 with semi-retractable & exposed landing geared though its wooden construction entailed having to employ specialized woodworking labor. The improved Z.1007bis first flew in July 1939 as part of an 8 aircraft pre-production order (MM.21221-21228) testing proving successful the RAI subsequently ordering large scale production; 466 aircraft in 11 Serie between January 1940 and December 1942.

The BroPlan Z.1007 Asso Model Kit

Scalemates.com currently lists six 1/48th & 1/72 scale model kits of the Z.1007bis BroPlan of Poland alone offering the 1/72nd Z.1007 Asso vacuform styrene plastic kit with injected plastic detail parts, total no-brainer I'd have to build one despite only having built one vacuform model previously of the Vac Wings 72 Flugtechnische Fertigungs Gemeinshaft 227 (Czech Flugtechnische Fertigungsgemeinschaft Prag actually built it), quarter scale Blohm und Voss BV 238 research aircraft in 1982:

Kit was terrible; thick plastic & wide mold corners made cutting out parts difficult, propellers had to putty backfilled, thin transparent canopy hard to glue on though this decades before using ethyl cyanoacetate glues, did complete it but thought "Never Again!" on vacuforms till did the BroPlan Z.1007 Asso kit which despite being a challenging build came out better than had expected. A detailed article regarding the model build is being composed for the STORMO Magazine website photos of it already having been posted there, appreciating that this was the first vacuform model kit build of mine in 38 years thought it be of interest to folks here on Beyond The Sprues.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 02:25:16 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 02:04:57 AM »

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 02:06:19 AM »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: BroPlan CANT Z.1007 Isotta-Fraschini Asso XI Inline Engines
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 10:41:32 PM »
I've never built a vacform &, having seen & heard of the ... problems? ... issues? ... challenges? ... with building them, I have no intention of trying. :-\

Well done, RiK, the finished product is excellent! :smiley: :smiley:

That dark pinkish / pale maroony looking colour is unexpected. :icon_surprised:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
Thank You...
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 11:23:15 PM »
I've never built a vacform &, having seen & heard of the ... problems? ... issues? ... challenges? ... with building them, I have no intention of trying. :-\

Well done, RiK, the finished product is excellent! :smiley: :smiley:

That dark pinkish / pale maroony looking colour is unexpected. :icon_surprised:

...I too had severe phobias over building another vacuform model, absolute only way I could build this kit after 38 years lamenting how awful the Vac Wings 72 FFG 227 build came off was constructing dozens of resins some near thin as vac-plastic with cyanoacrylate glues, cut styrene plastic stay tabs to align vacu-parts whilst gluing them together was absolutely essential. "The Fear Is Gone" but not the Thrill of being able to competently build vacuforms, currently working on BroPlan's Caproni Ca.316 float plane, far easier buiild, excellent fuselage & nose cap fits so far prior to gluing, five more vacs left to build including the four engine Savoia-Marchetti SM.95 transport, largest by size of any 1/72nd scale Italian kit will likely ever build.

The pinkish / pale maroony color is Marrone Mimetico 2 brew-mixed 80/20 Testors Model Master 2009 British Crimson + Humbrol 118 Matt US Tan enamels + 36% Testors Flat White scale shading, fairly close to the CMPR-GAVS Italian aviation coloration research with late 1990s IPMS-Italy Humbrol enamel paint equivalents. Period color photographs do show how striking the maroon was though formula mixes combined with weathering made for odd appearances. CDRA/CANT aircraft typically were painted Bruno Mimetico which was an altogether different shade but went with BroPlan's kit instruction coloration assuming this Polish company well known for good subject researching was sufficiently sourced.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 12:49:02 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 11:56:34 PM »
That's a great looking plane! Was it all vacuform or did you add resin/metal bits like the props and landing gear? The radiators/engine intakes look great and so does the paint job.

The CANT Z.1007 looks vaguely like a three engined Betty bomber.

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
Answers...
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 12:40:28 AM »
That's a great looking plane! Was it all vacuform or did you add resin/metal bits like the props and landing gear? The radiators/engine intakes look great and so does the paint job.

...Vacuform kit comes with injected-plastic detail parts ala landing gear assemblies including wheels, crew seats, flight instruments, radio sets, propellers, etc., castings are crude (check out the propellers :o) but no alternative choices given am near the bottom of the o'l spare parts bin for equivalent replacements! Engine cowlings are vacuform, radiators injected-plastic, castings aren't good but were usable.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 12:46:16 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
Better Still...
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 12:43:02 AM »

..."Single Tail" Mitsubishi G3M Nell ;D

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 03:21:53 AM »
Great build ... and love that camouflage  :-*
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 11:28:45 AM »
Beautiful!

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 05:25:32 AM »
 May have been a miss as a kit, but that is an excellent and attractive build in an uncommon and uncommonly beautiful scheme. Nice looking plane, though I still like the SM 79 a bit more - I have an...affinity... for hunchbacks. ;)

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
Me Too...
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 05:32:33 AM »
May have been a miss as a kit, but that is an excellent and attractive build in an uncommon and uncommonly beautiful scheme. Nice looking plane, though I still like the SM 79 a bit more - I have an...affinity... for hunchbacks. ;)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 07:24:28 AM »
Striking colour scheme. I think it came out really well.
An example of how the subject often defines the media it is produced in.

On the VacForm issue. They were of their day. Often the only way to get a model of something that otherwise would have been unavailable.
Personally I have completed well over 20 VacForms, some truly terrible, some just as good as, if not better than current kit offerings for the detail. Subjects like the 1/48 Dynavector Wyvern were awesome, lots of nice metal parts, crisp formed pieces and the only game in town. Now you have a choice of a couple of 1/48 Wyverns.

Still how many of you have a 1/48 Hampden on your shelves ?.. Thanks to the Contrail release, I do.
I know Fonderie Miniatures have released one but according to the build logs/reviews, I am glad I built the Contrail version where I was master of my own destiny.

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
Can't Even Stand In Your Shadow ; >{
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 10:41:48 AM »
Striking colour scheme. I think it came out really well.
An example of how the subject often defines the media it is produced in.

On the VacForm issue. They were of their day. Often the only way to get a model of something that otherwise would have been unavailable.
Personally I have completed well over 20 VacForms, some truly terrible, some just as good as, if not better than current kit offerings for the detail. Subjects like the 1/48 Dynavector Wyvern were awesome, lots of nice metal parts, crisp formed pieces and the only game in town. Now you have a choice of a couple of 1/48 Wyverns.

Still how many of you have a 1/48 Hampden on your shelves ?.. Thanks to the Contrail release, I do.
I know Fonderie Miniatures have released one but according to the build logs/reviews, I am glad I built the Contrail version where I was master of my own destiny.

Walking With The Modeling Gods you be building so many vacuforms 1/48th no less, only the 100% Scratchbuilders sit next to them on the model building table. Currently building the BroPLan MS-158 Caproni Ca.316 vacuform, far easier build than the CANT Z.1007 Asso.