Author Topic: 1/72 Advanced Coanda Jet Biplane  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/72 Advanced Coanda Jet Biplane
« on: November 10, 2014, 12:19:50 AM »
Henri Coandă is remembered for building what may have been the world's first jet aircraft.

However, he was not one to rest on his accomplishments and continued to develop the concept.

Unfortunately, product diversification would prove to be a dismal failure, so Coanda returned to designing aircraft for his revolutionary and improved engine. In 1922, The Romanian Air Force took notice and ordered a service test squadron of his new jet-powered biplane right off the drawing board.

Initially, exhaust from the new engine caused brush fires on grass airfields of the time. This was solved by restricting use of the prototype jets to dirt landing strips.

While the Coanda jet biplane was the fastest, most maneuverable plane in the air and was well armed with four machine guns, its range was limited due to poor fuel economy. Many inside the Romanian Air Ministry thought this would be the prototype's undoing.

The Air Ministry had underestimated the craze for good BBQ which was sweeping the country. It's not hard to see why BBQ is so popular.

Unfortunately, the Romanian Air Ministry also underestimated the appetite of its own Air Force.

The Service Test Squadron was supposed to be flying the Coanda jet biplane under rigorous testing to find the capabilities and limits of the prototype aircraft.

However, they discovered the exhaust from the Coanda engine could BBQ huge amounts of beef in no time. Soon the Service Test Squadron became victims of "mission creep".

Each week, fewer and fewer flight hours were logged as the Service Test Squadron was burning up all its fuel in copious BBQ consumption. This would spell doom for the advanced Coanda jet biplane.

The Service Test Squadron was disbanded after only six months and the entire program was cancelled. Henri Coandă spent the rest of his life trying to reverse-engineering his jet engine into the world's most powerful vacuum cleaner and died a broken man. Nothing is left of the first jet fighter except for this limited-run eastern-bloc plastic model.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:45:27 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/72 Advanced Coanda Jet Biplane
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 12:41:26 AM »
This all started with the 1/72 ICM Polikarpov I-5 biplane (early). The box art on both the top & bottom bode well for what's inside:

Mine was very nicely molded with only a bit of flash. While construction is fairly simple, this kit has enough detail to satisfy anyone not suffering from advanced OCD. Of course, mine would be a little different.

As you may recall, I used the kit's engine & prop on Another Project. Fortunately, the left over shock cone & ring from a 1/100 E.E. Lightning were a decent fit up front and after a little cutting, a burner can from a T-33 brought up the rear.

The entire model was brush-painted by hand with acrylics, Polly Scale Hopper Car Beige mostly. The decals were Spanish roundels from an air forces of the world sheet (thanks, Jeff!) that I painted blue over the center dot. The codes are from the Irish markings for an Airfix Hurricane. The kit windscreen was a three piece nightmare so I swapped it out for one from a CR-42 (I think). Busted steel guitar strings were used for rigging.

The model took me a week to build and I'd like to thank Frank for inspiring me with his magnificent  "Petit Pet" Coanda Monoplane.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures and reading a little more forgotten history.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:57:27 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 12:50:28 AM »
Brilliant mate!  Once again, you have proved yourself the master of the alternative!!

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 04:42:44 AM »
8) 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 06:54:49 AM »
Super wonder awesome, as usual!

Alvis 3.1

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 07:42:43 AM »
Great work. Again.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 05:17:51 PM »
Your repeated research into little/un known historical events is unmatched :icon_surprised:
Excellent rendition of the Advanced Coanda Jet Biplane :)
Lacking an OOB kit you chose well begining with I-5 kit.
Another model surprise !

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 02:39:06 AM »
Bring on the BBQ!  Nice and very imaginative Brian! 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 07:41:19 PM »
Great! :-*