Author Topic: WHIF Logistics Containers  (Read 2346 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
WHIF Logistics Containers
« on: June 28, 2022, 09:28:47 AM »
As the subject title proclaims.  The attached images show two examples of a what-if container that I created some time ago (make that several years ago by now) that were based on the display bases from some 1/700th scale HobbyBoss model submarine kits that I had acquired for other what-if projects.  The display bases were too unique in shape and size to be ignored or discarded so something had to be done to make them useful.  I eventually decided that by glueing two display bases back to back that I could get a reasonably sized and shaped container that still needed some minor work before I could be satisfied with the things.  This too more time than I had anticipated (hence the years gone by since it was first started).  Several attempts were made at adding feet of some kind to the tops and bottoms before I realized that I was putting far too much effort into something that should simply be a container to protect something while it was in storage or transit.  My most recent success is the two containers that are now sporting a section of 1/35th scale railroad rail as the feet at each corner of the container.  This was a minor victory for me as I had been getting nowhere with these things for quite some time until I opted to KISS (Keep It Short [and] Simple). 

First attached image: The display bases glued back to back to create the prototype container. 

Second attached image: The containers with feet attached. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: WHIF Logistics Containers
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 09:57:56 AM »
How big is it? From the rails, it looks fairly small for 1/35 - maybe a container for something highly technical and delicate, like a nuclear device, compact power source or part of a server farm.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 10:25:47 AM »
How big is it? From the rails, it looks fairly small for 1/35 - maybe a container for something highly technical and delicate, like a nuclear device, compact power source or part of a server farm.

Hi Frank.  You called it on possible purposes.  The attached image includes the small stainless-steel Xacto ruler/right angle that I had placed next to the things when I first made the images but then cropped the image to make sure they were small enough to be viewed on the forums.  Hopefully this gives you a better idea of how large these things are (not really that large but certainly close to optimum). 

length: about 2.5"
width: about 0.75"
height: about 1.0"
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 11:26:53 AM »
It would make a nice power bank (like a Tesla battery wall) or maybe a 19U rack system with space for cabling and power. It would look good in a 20 or 40 foot container.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 12:44:20 PM »
I would have just opted for 4 x 1mm-2mm lengths of right-angle styrene rod with squares of thin styrene attached to the bottom as feet & above as rests, a bit like RW cargo containers.

Or, just having had another look, just go with the styrene angles, so that the ridged protrusions at the top/bottom just lock them in place..

Good size containers for bulky but less massive cargo.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 12:47:01 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 01:47:10 PM »
I would have just opted for 4 x 1mm-2mm lengths of right-angle styrene rod with squares of thin styrene attached to the bottom as feet & above as rests, a bit like RW cargo containers.

Or, just having had another look, just go with the styrene angles, so that the ridged protrusions at the top/bottom just lock them in place..

Good size containers for bulky but less massive cargo.

I still have that option available but I like the sections of rail in that they provide sufficient space under the container for MHE (pallet-jack/fork-lift truck) to access.  With the angle shape that would not be as ideal but it could still happen.  I have ten more of the things that are still drying out from my last wet-sanding effort. 

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 07:46:17 PM »
Looks good! Could be used as a projectile storage container, generator or dirty bomb. Load it up in one of your Revell HALO Warthog vehicles as a nuclear power source.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 01:29:17 AM »
Looks a bit like jet engine containers:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2024, 03:17:07 AM »
Some times it pays off to let a project sit for a spell.  My container project has languished for quite some time now as I ignored it and focused on other things that were more interesting.  I returned to visit the container project last night to just get something done and address the work I had already done with these containers up to this point when I set it all aside to work on something else.  This was in part due to my reading a thread at ARC Forums on the storage and shipping/transport containers for the AGM-114 Hellfire missiles that high-lighted how simple the container are in design.  This gave me a good reason to go back and revisit my own project as I had been unhappy with the "feet" I had added to each container and how awkward looking they were due to fat fingers, bad lighting, and janky vision.  The end result up close in my hand was a disappointment. 

So I decided to fix this last night and sat down to remove all of the "feet" from the twelve containers I had created.  Once that was done, I sanded the bottom of each container to be rid of the glue residue and then gave all a good wash down in soap and water.  The end result is a smooth surface and a new start.  The plan now is to find something that can pass for a hasp or clasp along each long side of the container and a handle at each end. 

The original idea was to create a special weapon container for a "special weapon" (nuclear artillery projectile/shell) for my (Trumpeter/I Love Kit) M65 280mm Heavy Motorized Gun.  The original Revell (ne' Renwal) Atomic Cannon featured some comically sized shells that defied reality and looked like they had escaped from that classic 1988 film "Who Framed Roger Rabbit".  The original plan for these containers pretty much began with the old Revell/Renwal Atomic Cannon kit but once Trumper/I Love Kit came out with the much better kit it was still something that needed to be done.  Those that know what a special weapons container actually look like are not talking about it so the imagineering option is the only way to pursue this.  Also not interested in another visit from the FBI for asking the right questions to the wrong bureaucrats in the DoD.   :icon_nif:

Attached image is a repeat from my OP that shows the container sans "feet" so you can appreciate what has been accomplished. 

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 05:47:39 AM »
for a Sci Fi Light Trader Starship build, I found this type of container/s on Thingiverse and 3D printed them. I used an older FDM printer so the printing artifacts are visible, but if resin printed no such issues.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 07:30:49 AM »
You make the argument even more compelling for me to add a 3D printer to my model building resources.  :smiley:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 12:09:17 PM »
More logistics related containers. 

This time we have a pair of janky crates from some old ESCI or Italeri 1/35th scale accessory set.  These two crates were discovered in one of the recent acquisitions having been built by the original owner of the kit.  I had a pair of these same crates and my luck with assembly of the things was no where successful and I binned the things with no regrets.  Considering how this pair turned out I was not wrong with my previous decision with the original pair that are now long gone. 

The first image shows you what the crates look like with any added details. 

The remaining three images show the results of adding some Evergreen plastic to cover some of the faults found on the original crates. 

Online Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 12:50:31 PM »
Looks good! And what will all this supplies be used for?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 01:24:27 PM »
Space fillers?  :smiley:

The two crates were/are large enough to be used as "Team Boxes" or job site storage boxes. 

One can never have enough storage containers that are rigged for "Two-Man Carry" and have stand-offs to allow for handcart and forklift access on the bottom of the container.

Online Kerick

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2024, 03:33:57 AM »
Don’t forget the rust and dirt!

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2024, 05:58:15 AM »
I built these too for my 35th cargo-carrier vehicles, no problems but I did forget to add rusty nail-heads.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2024, 06:26:09 AM »
I built these too for my 35th cargo-carrier vehicles, no problems but I did forget to add rusty nail-heads.
I had a large supply of various crates from a number of kits and eventually tried to build the things.  Some were easy to assemble and others had far too many complicated parts that failed to true up and remain square to the other perpendicular sides.  many became scrap and the few that came together and looked like a crate were kept.  Of the scrapped bits, I kept the larger flat parts for potential "signage" as they were large enough to fill that role.  I have to wonder how some of these model companies approach the creation of a common crate or box where some try to make the things as complicated as possible [looking at you Italeri, ESCI, and AFV Club] and others create the same without the complications. 

Online Kerick

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2024, 01:01:41 PM »
Here's a challenge for a model company. A simple cardboard box, maybe a little squashed or bulged at the sides. Some simple black decals for the labels. I don't recall ever seeing that.
I suppose I could do it myself but I would like to see how complicated it could be.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2024, 01:37:52 PM »
You can make them pretty easily with a printer. I sent a few box designs to Ramba and he printed them on brown paper. They look great.

As for crates, I've made a few of the Miniart beer crates and while the construction can be fiddly, it follows the way the real crates are built and they look good and are sturdy.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2024, 02:32:46 PM »
You can make them pretty easily with a printer. I sent a few box designs to Ramba and he printed them on brown paper. They look great.

As for crates, I've made a few of the Miniart beer crates and while the construction can be fiddly, it follows the way the real crates are built and they look good and are sturdy.

Pretty sure you sent them to me, too, Frank, but I haven't gotten around to having a go at them, yet. :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2024, 05:37:16 AM »
Here's a challenge for a model company. A simple cardboard box, maybe a little squashed or bulged at the sides. Some simple black decals for the labels. I don't recall ever seeing that.
I suppose I could do it myself but I would like to see how complicated it could be.
There was a recent 1/35th scale product made available in resin of cardboard boxes with dents and folds that was reported on at ScaleMates.com.  Some with end flaps that were folded wrong and others with twine to secure the box flaps.  All for a handsome price too. 

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2024, 07:59:13 PM »
More logistics stuff. 

The first item is a very large crate that was acquired many years ago as an HO scale model railroad accessory.  It was sold preassembled and unpainted.  The crate has been sitting for years and it always seemed a bit "off" in appearance.  I pulled it out of the drawer and added a set of skids to the bottom of the crate to make it "forklift and pallet jack" accessible.  Now the crate looks more convincing as a bit of 1/35th scale cargo. 

The second item is a pair of things created from the ammunition magazines found in the old Revell 1/32nd scale HH-1D/H Iroquois helicopter gunship kit.  Each of these container things consists of a pair of the magazines glued bottom to bottom.  These were then sanded smooth to create a flat bottom from the duplicated top surface features and provide for a new top and bottom surface.  The last thing to do was to create a pair of skids on each of the things and call it done.