Author Topic: Tyrrell 002  (Read 2532 times)

Offline ScranJ51

• Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!
Tyrrell 002
« on: January 05, 2017, 01:02:47 PM »
First car completion in 2017

Tyrrell 002-01 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Tyrrell 002-02 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Tyrrell 002-03 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Tyrrell 002-04 by David Freeman, on Flickr

TYRRELL 002
The Tyrrell 002 is a Formula One racing car which was designed for the 1971 and 1972 Formula One seasons by Tyrrell's Chief Designer, Derek Gardner. It was essentially the same design as the Tyrrell 001, but incorporated some detail changes, and 002 (and 003 and 004) were built with longer monocoques, as François Cevert was taller than Jackie Stewart.

François Cevert drove every race of the 1971 season in the 002. The first race for the 002 was the 1971 South African Grand Prix when Cevert retired through accident. The Spanish Grand Prix saw the Frenchman finish outside the points in 7th. Cevert retired with a further two accidents at the Monaco and Dutch Grands Prix. The French Grand Prix saw the Frenchman at his home race finish 2nd to team-mate Jackie Stewart, The British Grand Prix saw Cevert 10th. The German Grand Prix saw the Frenchman finish 2nd to Stewart.  An engine failure for the Frenchman at the Austrian Grand Prix.[8] The Italian Grand Prix saw Cevert finish third in the closest finish ever with Peter Gethin, Ronnie Peterson, Mike Hailwood and Howden Ganley. The Canadian Grand Prix saw the race stopped after 64 laps due to the weather and Cevert finished 6th. The United States Grand Prix saw Cevert's only win when Stewart's tyres began to go off and the gap closed. The Scot realised that Cevert's Goodyears were holding up much better in the heat, and when Cevert closed up right behind him, he waved him by on lap 14. Denny Hulme, in third place, was now struggling with a terrible vibration in his tyres and was passed, first by Jacky Ickx, then Clay Regazzoni and Jo Siffert. By the time Ickx could get around Stewart on lap 17, Cevert's lead was 5.7 seconds. At about half-distance, Cevert began to struggle with the same understeer that had plagued Stewart much earlier. Ickx was closing, and his Firestones were getting better as the race went on. On lap 43, the Belgian set the fastest lap of the race, and the gap was down to 2.2 seconds. Then, on lap 49, the Ferrari's alternator fell off, punching a hole in the gearbox and spilling oil all over the track. Hulme hit the oil and spun into the barrier, bending his front suspension. He was standing beside the track when Cevert came by and also hit the barrier, but kept going, now 29 seconds in the lead. Cevert coasted home, taking both hands off the wheel to wave as he crossed the line. After taking the chequered flag, Cevert gave a nod to his teammate. "I feel pretty good with a $50,000 win. I followed Stewart in the beginning and was flagged on ahead. Jackie Stewart is a very sensible driver and a very good teacher. He let me go through." While it was the first race on the expanded Watkins Glen track, It was Cevert's first and only victory.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 03:38:25 PM by ScranJ51 »
Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Tyrrell 002
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 02:33:10 PM »
Nice work. :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 08:17:36 PM »
Looks every bit the business!

Brian da Basher

Offline ScranJ51

• Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 03:38:41 PM »
re-imaged
Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!