Author Topic: 1/72 HMCS Bonaventure II CHL-22  (Read 3093 times)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
1/72 HMCS Bonaventure II CHL-22
« on: February 02, 2015, 12:15:40 AM »
The plan, an ambitious one I might add, is to take the 1/144 Airfix SRN.4 and convert it to the RCN Hovercraft Carrier CHL-22 capable of deploying one CAV-8A Harrier.

The existing SRN.4 upper deck with some help from additional styrene sheeting can provide sufficient area to support one Harrier. I'll use LCAL like shrouded reversible pitch airscrews.

Other required bits and donors will be an ECSI 1/72 AV-8A, CanMilAir 1/144 Bonaventure deals, 1/144 Trumpeter LCAC and other yet to be determined items as I build this on a wing, a prayer and an inflatable rubber skirt.

Looking for input on what type of self defense systems would be used on vessel like this in the early 1970s. .
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
Re: 1/72 HMCS Bonaventure II CHL-22
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 01:04:19 AM »
Neat idea!

For guns I would go with the Bofors 40mm on the Boffin mount: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bofors_40_mm_gun#mediaviewer/File:Boffin_40mm_bofors_cfb_borden_1.jpg

If you want a missile system, then perhaps the same Sea Sparrow system that the 280 class was getting in the same timeframe?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 05:26:02 AM »
All of that fabric for the skirt?  Might have to change the name to HMCS Naugahyde :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 09:40:20 PM »
Sounds very interesting.  Looking forward to seeing it come to life as you build.