Author Topic: Ki-44 Shoki/Ki-84 Hayate hybrid (was: F**k it, let's bash some plastic!)  (Read 15808 times)

Sentinel Chicken

These two kits are 1/144 scale and now that I have my model building room back in the new house, it's time to get high on solvents and go batty with endless rounds of PSR. I resolved myself that once I got a place again to build models I'd go all WHIFF or nothing. So there you have it.

Kudos to you if you can identify the two aircraft that are going to be frankenplaned by me.

I leave you with a colorful quote by our own sotoolslinger/Ron from last year's Scalefest:

"We don't win a damn thing at these shows because no one knows how to judge our stuff."

There may or may not have been an F-bomb in there, but I used one already in the title of this thread.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 11:05:06 AM by Sentinel Chicken »

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
Re: F**k it, let's bash some plastic!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 07:07:49 AM »
Ki-44 and Ki-84?  ???

Looking forward to this Glad you have the magnifier ready  :o
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 07:18:56 AM »
Ki-44 and Ki-84?  ???

But which bits are going where? This is going to be good  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 07:31:46 AM »
Ki-44 and Ki-84?  ???

But which bits are going where? This is going to be good  :)

Same here. Maybe a Tophe asymmetrical jitsu ! Make a Hayate nose and a 44 engine behind that as a push - pull pod and then use one or the other fuselage with tail on either side of that.

BTW- While I don't put the F bomb in thread banners...... I do most certainly keep them

readily on hand for any JMN's encountered !

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 07:54:21 AM »
Like the semi-swept white wings.  Recommend using them.  And green four blade prop.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:02:43 AM by finsrin »

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 10:20:26 AM »
Ki-44 and Ki-84?  ???

Looking forward to this Glad you have the magnifier ready  :o
Very good! These are the LS kits from the stash, the Ki-84 was part of a two kits in one box kit (damn that sounded redundant redundant). All I've built since 1993 has been 1/144, primarily because the kits are cheap, don't take up much room and there's not a whole lot of aftermarket stuff for them that jacks up the total investment made in the kit. Yes, I'm a cheap bastard.

Offline RussC

• Resident Painter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 04:36:28 PM »
Same here, 1/144 is the way to go and I had no trouble building hundreds despite having a nearsightedness prescription and hands better described as Paws that wear out a keyboard in 12 months and practically need a scratching post.

One hidden benefit(s) of working in 144 are that small parts PSR easily, can often be shaped with sandpaper instead of blades and saws, and you can raid kits of all the other scales for big surface parts.

Only downside is kit selection, but resin makers are furiously correcting this.

If you would like to see examples of my builds, go to my deviantArt page and look up 7 big picture collages which only show a fraction of the completed ones, mostly the scratchbuilds. http://russc1.deviantart.com/ and go to gallery and the aero replicas folder. You can do a lot in 144 even using paper, by scaling down printed pages of kits like Fiddlers Green or drawing your own.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:40:43 PM by RussC »

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 10:01:29 PM »
That's the definite plus on 1/144 kits, especially fighters, the PSR is much, much, MUCH less than with a 1/72 kit. I briefly contemplated going to 1/72 once I had the new room in the house, but I knew I would shot a big f-ing hole in my budget with aftermarket accessories and go insane with PSR.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 04:26:32 AM »
It's great to see you tackling some styrene again, Mr Chicken! You certainly picked some prime kits to work on! I've used both kits as base material in the past and I agree that 1/144 scale has a lot of advantages. I can't wait to see where you go with these!

Brian da Basher

Offline Scooterman

• Professional A-4 Stalker...and stealer of Rule 3.
  • Even his underwear is embroided with Skyhawks...
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 08:10:38 AM »
Go Doc, go!

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 11:24:16 AM »
More work done tonight:

Nakajima Ki-44 Shoki (Allied code name "Tojo"): fuselage, engine, vertical fin, inboard wings/underfuselage

Nakajima Ki-44 Hayate (Allied code name "Frank") donated the outer wings, prop, and horizontal stabs.

You can see that in 1/144 scale, there's no cockpit to really be arsed to deal with. When I put the Shoki's transparency on that section, you really won't be able to tell that there's no cockpit there. I may, however, put some scratchbuilt plastic card parts there to at least suggest the seat.

I don't think the Hayate's four-bladed prop is gonna cut it for what I have in mind for this frankenplane what-if. I may have to go raid the stash for a more imposing four bladed prop.

The horizontal stabs from the Hayate I cut at the roots at an angle so they're slightly swept. I cut off the outer wing panels of the Shoki- I want this whiff to have longer span wings for high-altitude performance. I drilled small holes to put small styrene strips in to provide an anchor point for the outer wing panels that came from the Hayate kit.

The outer wing panels were slightly too long in chord with where I cut off the Shoki's wings, so I cut back the chord from the tailing edge and sanded it down to taper it. I like the looks of the inboard wing section of the Shoki, so I had to keep that part.

This gives you a better idea of just how small a WW2 fighter is in 1/144 scale. It's challenging to work in this scale, but on the bright side the dreaded PSR is kept to a minimum and the sections are light, so you don't have to worry about adding any reinforcements when you frankenplane something like this for shits and giggles.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 07:32:13 PM »
I really like your modifications, Mr Chicken!

Ironically, I'm using a left-over Shoki cowling on my next project. It makes me feel like I'm on a wavelength with you.

I can't wait to see where this project goes next!

Brian da Basher

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
Very cool build. Slick looking AC right there. :-* Also your decision to work in such scales leaves more putty for those of us who need it ;)

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 10:12:20 PM »
I had never thought about bashing scales that small  ??? but you have me thinking now  >:D

-David Fincher

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 01:15:59 AM »
Kids jerked my ass out of bed early this morning (I need a crowbar and an act of Congress to get them up at 0600 on school days but for whatever the hell reason on Saturdays they're up at the ass-crack of dawn without any prompting. Go figure.) and while they got in some Saturday morning cartoons, I did more on my Shoki-Hayate frankenplane kitbash:

I was going to open up the front of the engine cowl put in some styrene rod to give the impression of the radial engine, but given that I'll probably raid the stash for a bigger prop and spinner, it may not even be visible.

Ahhh, the beauty of 1/144 scale.

You can see how the modified Hayate outer wing panels have basically given me a long-span Shoki.

Underside view. I'll need to do some filling on on the wing underside where the outer wing panels join the inner wing of the Shoki. But hey! This is 1/144 scale! I'll be able to get away with a pea-size bit of putty, sand for 5 minutes and I'm done.

Ahhhhh, the beauty of 1/144 scale.

I rummaged around the spares box and found a drop tank from the 1/144 DML IAI Kfir kit. I used one half, cut it and bent it a bit to match the underside of the fuselage. This will be the turbosupercharger intake/exhaust. I used a needle file to thin out the intake and exhaust lips. I'll need to some filling here, but it should be easy.

Like 5 minutes.

Ahhhhh, the beauty of 1/144 scale.

There's a big gap under the horizontal tailplanes that I'll also need to fill in.

That should take 5 minutes.

Ahhhhh, the beauty of 1/144 scale. It leaves more putty for Ron's builds. I'm a real magnanimous and community-oriented kind of builder. Unless you're a JMN. Then you can piss off. (still waiting for the caffeine to kick in)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 03:10:36 AM »
Coming along nicely.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline RussC

• Resident Painter
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 06:01:30 AM »
If I can be allowed a Chef Emeril LaGasse quote - You could 'kick it up a notch' by adding a contrarotating prop. Or a 5-blader.

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 06:35:08 AM »
Dang that is a sweet little plane. I like how you can see details in the pictures that I would not be able to see in real life :( ;) :-[ Nother reason I need big scale projects ;D

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 09:18:57 AM »

While Chicklet 004 was napping and Chicklets 001, 002, and 003 were helping the missus in the garden (their little project), I took the opportunity to sling some putty on my Shoki-Hayate frankenplane. I used Squadron White Putty and then a small brush dipped in lacquer thinner to smooth it out and get it to better fill the spaces to be filled.

The prop and spinner came from the Minicraft Hawker Tempest kit. The spinner's a bit big, but I think it will do for what I have envisioned for this kit bash.

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 09:22:22 AM »
 :-* :-*

-David Fincher

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 01:43:06 PM »

Got in a little work once the kids went to bed tonight. Couldn't for the life of me find my rattle can of gray that I use as a primer but found an old can of Testor's Armor Sand. It'll do. Whatever color, it makes it easier for me to see where I need more putty-sand-repeat.

Underside view. A lot of 1/144 models of WW2 fighters have craptastic wheel wells and landing gears on account of the small size. I haven't decided yet if I'll scratchbuild the wheels or just do what I can to make do with the kit set.

I'll just have to have another Shiner to think about it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 11:01:02 AM »
Looking good! Does the longer wings and a honkin' great scoop under the rear fuselage mean that it's a high altitude fighter with turbocharger?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 02:54:40 AM »
Looking good! Does the longer wings and a honkin' great scoop under the rear fuselage mean that it's a high altitude fighter with turbocharger?

Indeed it will be!

Latest progress shot:

The Shoki kit's landing gears suck ass and a half. I wasn't in the mood to scratchbuild something that small and do it twice no less, but found that the landing gears and doors from the Hayate kit were a pretty close match (both aircraft being Nakajima products, it makes sense). The main difference is that the Shoki has a triangular extension on the aft side of the main gear doors which covers a linkage. Since the Hayate kit's landing gears were better looking, I took those and used styrene card to add that extension and then some thin bent strip to replicate the linkage. It's not 100% the Shoki's landing gear but it works for me.

I also took the Tempest spinner and drilled out the center portion which will be for a cannon.

Sentinel Chicken

Home sick today from work with a nasty respiratory bug of some sort, I was well-enough for part of the day to start painting my Shoki-Hayate kitbash. I'm trying to get my airbrush all cleaned up and fixed (20 year old Aztek, hate to part with it as I have a ton of accessories for it), so it was brush painting for this little bad boy. The paintwork needs more touch up, I'll get to that after this initial coat dries.

Hopefully I'll have my airbrush back up and running when it comes time to paint my Messerschmitt Bf 110 floatplane what-if kitbash.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
That camo scheme looks great, Mr Chicken!

Brian da Basher