Author Topic: The Studebaker-Packard Aero Division "Year Zero" SPAD  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The Studebaker-Packard Aero Division "Year Zero" SPAD
« on: August 25, 2019, 12:08:14 AM »

The Studebaker-Packard Aero Division "SPAD" XSP-1A heavy attack prototype featured large dive-brakes to slow it down (ha ha ha!) in the attack run and had built-in armament of six auto-cannons in the wings and one machine gun mounted between the engine cylinders which was synchronized to fire through the propeller. This gun was usually loaded with tracers for sighting purposes.

The XSP-1A was powered by the enormous(-ly over-rated) Bratt & Brittney 11 cylinder radial engine which would become a hallmark in the annals of unreliability. Unfortunately, despite the heavy armament and potent-on-paper power plant, the SPAD XSP-1A would be hampered by kinks that were never quite worked out.

This and the fact that hung-over Navy personnel mis-interpreted the SP designation as Shore Patrol doomed the experimental heavy attack plane to ignominy.

Unfortunately, by the time the new prototype flunked flight tests, a pre-production batch had already been delivered, perhaps due to a BuAer error. These aircraft were passed on to the Cambodian air force where they served in the "low and slow" interdiction role on counter-insurgency ops.

The SPAD XSP-1A is shown here with a unique Cambodian load-out consisting of two specially adapted French Mitrailleuse recoilless rifles along with two 150 kg. bombs and four Mk. 32 HEAT round HVARs.

While attrition took its toll, the XSP-1As continued to serve until the very last one was grounded due to lack of spares at the start of the Lon Nol palindrome regime.

Unfortunately, the Studebaker-Packard

had little parts commonality with its more successful Douglas cousin.

However, the obvious influence of the XSP-1A on the Skyraider shows the design's promise even if Studebaker-Packard's execution was poor.

Only one SPAD XSP-1A remained when the Khmer Rouge took over and found it derelict in back of the boneyard. As part of their "Year Zero" initiative, the flightless SPAD was hailed by Khmer Rouge defense chief "Ta Mok" or "Brother #5" as the epitome of a classless communist agrarian utopia since despite all its expensive capitalist technology, it was unable to get airborne. Urged by Pol Pot or "Brother #1",

the Khmer Rouge's Angkor organization trumpeted the success of the XSP-1A's political re-education with propaganda praising the aircraft's determination to remain ground-bound in solidarity with the proletariat. This was lauded as a shining example of Angkor's ideological superiority.

Unfortunately, nothing remains of this almost-historic Studebaker-Packard aircraft today. The sole survivor was obliterated by a mortar round during the 1979 Vietnamese invasion.

The cottage industry 1/72 scale Khmer Conversions set is shown here with the Airfix A-1D finished in the markings it wore during its glory days when it could still fly. The set was briefly sold at Uncle Po's Hobby Emporium in Phnom Penh before it went out of business and only this example is known to have been built. Sadly, it still didn't end out looking like the nice picture on the box.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 09:28:29 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The Studebaker-Packard Aero Division "Year Zero" SPAD
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 12:57:59 AM »
A few years back, a good friend (thanks a million, amigo!) sent me a bagged 1/72 MPC/Airfix Douglas A1D Skyraider. Here's the MPC/Airfix box art I found online and you've got to admit, they had a real talent for catching the action back then.

My example was missing the canopy and cowling. Luckily, I had a Banshee canopy and an Airfix Devastator cowling that needed a little work. While the cowl was setting, I found some sprue and converted it into under-wing recoilless rifles. I used kabuki tape for the breeches and only wish I'd made them thicker by wrapping it twice. Spare bits were used for the ammo feed chutes and Soviet bomb shackles made up the front support struts.

I also thought the tail wheel needed a door with strut:

I used a grunge wash to dirty it up. You never see clean Skyraider wheels and I figured Studebaker-Packard would be no different.

After this, it was off to the paint shop. I started with a coat of Model Masters Light Sea Gray acrylic up top and Poly Scale Reefer White down below.

The second camo color was a custom mix approximating W.W. I RAF PC-10. The Banshee canopy that fit like a charm was tinted on the inside with Insignia Blue.

The bombs and HVARs were painted Dark Olive and the rifles were given a custom, weathered OD mix.

The decals were a mix. The Cambodian markings are refugees from a Roundels of the World Sheet Mr Fontaine sent me ages ago (many thanks, Jeff!) that were over-laid on spare U.S. stars-n-bars.

That banner is a RVNAF Skyraider squadron marking from an AOA decals "Vietnamese SPADS" sheet. Out of respect for the original squadron, I defaced it by adding blue cheat lines on the sides. I think this gave it a more Cambodian look.

Before I forget, here's the "money shots", U.S. penny for scale.

I want to take a moment not only to thank the kind soul who sent me the kit but also Bill who sent me the kits that gave up their canopy and cowling. A special shout-out to Mr Gimper who sprang to the rescue by sending me replacement Airfix Skyraider cowling, engine, prop and canopy. While I didn't end out needing them, knowing I had them gave me the freedom to go with my original plan and not worry if I stuffed it up. Thanks a million, Carl! You always come through in a pinch!

I almost forgot to note that the prop is from a P-47 and that little aerial in back is half of a W.W. II radar antenna. I also rounded off the Skyraider fin and rudder and got rid of the tail hook housing since Cambodia lacks a deep-water navy.

I've been working on this for the last couple of weeks in fits and starts as time allowed. It was a lot of fun and gave me a chance to add the unusual load-out and a bit of weathering.

I hope you enjoyed the Studebaker-Packard Aero Division XSP-1A and reading a little more forgotten aircraft history even if the so-called "experts" refuse to believe the Year Zero SPAD ever was and think the whole story just won't fly.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 03:01:39 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 01:03:49 AM »
Beautiful build and yet another example of your excellent research into the little-known annals of history.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 07:01:04 AM »
Studebaker and The Kinks together in one place ... oh yeah!

Love your take on the 'Spad'. Obviously a 'Spad-with-spats' would've been nice ... but, then, you'd have needed even bigger speed brakes  :o
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 04:09:44 PM »
The Skyraider that isn't ! ;D

Nice build Brian, most impressive.

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 05:00:11 PM »
As Elmayerle said:  "Beautiful build and yet another example of your excellent research into the little-known annals of history."
Like how the four colors are combined.  Looking fine.  :smiley:
Regarding attrition, was wondering if there were landing stability mishaps with wheels mounted to the inside reducing stability.  Perhaps was not an issue.  Strikingly similar Douglas Sky Raider has wheels mounted on outboard side of struts.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 05:39:49 PM »
 :smiley: :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 09:13:42 PM »
<snip>
Strikingly similar Douglas Sky Raider has wheels mounted on outboard side of struts.

The worst part is I had reference photos to guide me but somehow that didn't register. Chalk it up to that STP difference!

It'd be fun to put this on a show table without explanation just to hear huffy comments from the rivet-counters about how it's "wrong".

Glad you guys liked this one. I experimented with a few things and had a blast.

Brian da Basher