Author Topic: English Electric and Martin B-57 Canberra  (Read 56956 times)

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
Re: English Electric and Martin B-57 Canberra
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2017, 09:41:13 AM »
I still think a 1/72 Canberra fuselage would make a great Churchill Cigar model....
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2017, 01:57:36 AM »
Or perhaps a true marinized version would move the engines closer to the fuselage centreline

Almost going back to this concept:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2017, 02:28:40 AM »
Not quite, I'm thinking more along the lines of something half-way between the Canberra
installation and the CF-100 as far as positioning from the airframe centreline is concerned.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #128 on: June 06, 2017, 08:40:20 AM »
Not quite, I'm thinking more along the lines of something half-way between the Canberra
installation and the CF-100 as far as positioning from the airframe centreline is concerned.
With only a narrow space between the nacelles and the fuselage, I think you would start to get some significant interference drag/turbulence down that valley. Possibly mess up the airflow over the tail something fierce. Almost the worst of both worlds, I think. Though it's been a while since my aerodynamics course, so it might not be as bad as I imagine.

Paul

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #129 on: June 06, 2017, 04:00:21 PM »
With only a narrow space between the nacelles and the fuselage, I think you would start to get some significant interference drag/turbulence down that valley. Possibly mess up the airflow over the tail something fierce. Almost the worst of both worlds, I think. Though it's been a while since my aerodynamics course, so it might not be as bad as I imagine.

Paul

Which is why higher or lower tails suddenly became the vogue for jet aircraft...   

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2017, 01:13:31 AM »

Paul
Yeah, a narrow space that really creates interference drag.  It's why drag reduction packages for Learjets have a much thicker pylon, that eliminates the drag-inducing valley between fuselages and nacelle.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2017, 10:24:43 AM »
The Canberra nacelles are smaller diameter than the fuselage, so I'm not sure it would be that much of an issue unless
they were brought extremely close to the fuselage, without fairing in ala the CF-100, anyhow I wasn't talking anything
that extreme, more like this (quick n' nasty drawing mod of port side):
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline tankmodeler

« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2017, 08:20:44 AM »
anyhow I wasn't talking anything that extreme, more like this (quick n' nasty drawing mod of port side):
Isn't the distance between the fuselage and the nacelles used as the height of the main gear? Bring the nacelles in and you have to shorten the gear or telescope them, which is heavy and complicated (= prone to failure).

Just thinking out loud.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2017, 11:48:28 AM »
Bring the nacelles right up to the fuselage, with fairing in, and use outward retracting gear with the major rib holding the main landing gear trunnions also serving to hold the hinge halves for the folding wing?

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2017, 03:28:17 PM »
Turboprop Canberra and Phanberra

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2017, 12:24:12 AM »
Nice!  8)
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2017, 04:37:58 AM »
Love all three of those!

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2019, 08:44:47 PM »
How about a fighter version of the Canberra, not just radar fitted etc. but more along the lines of the Hornet vs the Mosquito, or the Cobra verses the Huey?

Canberra wings and engines with a narrow diameter fuselage, tandem cockpit, radar, cannons, etc.

Offline tankmodeler

« Reply #138 on: November 27, 2019, 10:58:26 PM »
How about a fighter version of the Canberra, not just radar fitted etc. but more along the lines of the Hornet vs the Mosquito, or the Cobra verses the Huey?

Canberra wings and engines with a narrow diameter fuselage, tandem cockpit, radar, cannons, etc.
For the period, early-50s through 70s the wings and engines simply don't cut it as a proper day fighter. The wing shape and airfoil are not going to cut it for maneuverability and the engine power isn't there for good energy management in a dogfight. Engines out on the wing are also not at all good for roll rate, a key maneuverability metric. And, of course, as soon as you get into the mid-60s, the supersonic fighters take over and you're relegated to fighter-bomber like the Hunter and even the F-100 Super Sabre.

Now, you might be able to configure it as a bomber interceptor roughly equivalent to the CF-100, Javelin, Starfiire, etc. Especially if you could get the speed up to something over 620 mph as the Clunk and Javelin were known to be notoriously slow and hard to position for intercepts and would have had a real problem with Badgers in the shorter engagement times of Europe.

As interceptors they wouldn't have the speed to do stern chase intercepts with the early IR missiles, but would have to rely upon ahead angle intercepts with radar missiles, which were bigger and needed a good radar for the period. Unfortunately, radar guided missiles really wouldn't be available until the late 50s early 60s and even those early missiles required a stern chase attack vector.

Or, of course, you could be firing Genie's, but pitching nuke rockets at nuke bombers over the rather congested airspace of Europe has never been a politically viable option.

While an interesting conjecture, I don't think there is anything in it, practically. the various technologies don't quite line up to suggest a useful project.

Paul, the party pooper.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2020, 02:42:40 AM »
Interesting video once you get past the first part to what matters most for this topic on the EE Canberra.  RAAF: Conversion To Canberras
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2020, 03:15:25 AM »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2020, 03:18:05 AM »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2020, 04:01:10 AM »

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #144 on: September 27, 2021, 11:33:55 AM »
Um...... Canberra with missiles  :-*

Source HERE!
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #145 on: September 27, 2021, 09:28:38 PM »
It's a really nice kit too -- I've got one of them

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #146 on: September 27, 2021, 09:51:05 PM »
Nicely done!  :smiley:
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2022, 04:11:11 AM »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2022, 09:32:09 AM »
Lovely scheme! Maybe incorporate the 2-seat cockpit from the B-57 (for the GIB)?
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2022, 06:15:47 PM »

Yes, a beautiful piece of artwork by Clave dare I say to a request for my Alternative ADF ORBAT.

The RAAF appreciating both the range, speed and manoeuvrability of the English Electric Canberra bomber and with its Operational Requirement for a long-range all-weather interceptor to counter the newly introduced Indonesian Tu-16 Badger bomber threat. Initially favouring the Avro Canada CF-100 Canuck over the Gloster Javelin, this favour changed when GAF proposed the adoption of the English Electric Canberra they were then license manufacturing for the RAAF, mated to the proven Hughes AN/APG-40 radar and fire-control systems of the Avro Canada CF-100 Canuck; the incorporation of four wing-mounted Aim-7 Sparrow capability and two Aden 30mm cannon in a quick change pack. GAF also included a fixed large fuel tank in the Canberra's bomb bay, so as to give the interceptor Canberra maximum range and time on station, without the need of external drop tanks........
Oh, I should also note Bill (Clave) gave this Canberra Interceptor the designation of designation A(I)8!

MAD
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 07:39:34 PM by M.A.D »