Author Topic: Dornier HU-26A Seagull  (Read 4276 times)

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
Dornier HU-26A Seagull
« on: May 14, 2013, 01:25:21 AM »

After WWII, production of the Do 26 was selected over the three-engined Do 24 as the basis of the post-war flying boat forces of several European navies. These incorporated various updates, most importantly amphibious gear and updated engines. A further refined model, the Do 26ATT, with four Pratt and Whitney PT6A engines installed, giving a useful increase in power and efficiency over the dated engines it had used before. Many were purchased by the US Coast Guard, which operated them into the early 1980s. They were initially purchased for their longer range compared to the HU-16Es already in service, enabling more useful patrol radiuses from West Coast air stations. Eventually they were also based on the East Coast as well and performed many rescue missions in their long career.

Artist Notes: These are profiles I've wanted to do for a long time. I first started outlining the Do 26ATT a couple years ago, but only really picked it up again in March and got the line art done for it. It's undetailed compared to my usual as I knew I wouldn't have enough time to get it done if I went all out and did a full, shaded, detailed profile. I would like to revisit them sometime and do just that, but I'm just glad to finally get to see these ideas visualized.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
Re: Dornier HU-26A Seagull
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 02:04:59 AM »
 A splendid updating of one of my favorite flying boats! Great work!

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 02:13:33 AM »
Thanks, YoKai. It's been one of my favorite flying boats for years too, so I really wanted to do something with it. So sleek....

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 02:46:11 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 03:31:40 AM »
An elegant airplane done most elegantly !!!  Those are just beautiful ... !!!
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 05:43:52 AM »
An absolute stunner! Nice work!

Brian da Basher

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 08:56:48 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I had a good time doing them and I'm pretty happy with how they came out.