Author Topic: Grumman F9F Panther, Fuerza Aerea Ejercito de Cuba Kit is AMT, 1/48th scale  (Read 14 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
Kit is AMT, 1/48th scale. Nowhere near perfect, but I'm still learning a few techniques, and rather than trying to get everything right all at once I'm taking baby steps. If I see one of these on a shelf at a decent price it will be purchased, there are a few things I would like to improve on, now that it's shortcomings are familiar. Yes, it's old, yes, it's got minimal detail, and raised panel lines (which I rescribed) but at 1/48th scale it's easier to work on, and scratching up bits and bobs and greeblies is not as difficult as 1/72nd, which is still my preferred scale for simple storage/display reasons. Decals are from ARMYCAST. Paints were Tamiya Fine White primer for the underside, Model Master Acryl gloss gull grey for the upper surface. Tamiya red for the nose and tail decal touch-up (decals are intended for a P-47 so they needed to be sliced up a bit), Tamiya gloss white for the wingtip pods, AK True Metal paste for the leading edges. 

"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Nice work on making that old kit! 

So what if the Cubans had Grumman Panthers instead of de Havilland Venoms? 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg