Author Topic: Ukrainian - Crimean Liberation Air Force  (Read 4614 times)

Offline darkfold

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Ukrainian - Crimean Liberation Air Force
« on: March 04, 2014, 11:12:12 PM »
Small variations on the current crisis in Ukraine ...

I tried to design a model aircraft of UCLAF in the separatist Crimea. Su-27 is likely a variation of the airplane after defecting from the 831st Tactical Aviation Brigade of Myrhorod AFB to Simferopol AFB, MiG-29S redesigned as one of the 39 MiGs-29 from 204. Tactical Aviation Brigade confiscated at the airport Belbek and used by UCLAF.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: Ukrainian - Crimean Liberation Air Force
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 06:19:11 PM »
You did a great colour work, congratulations, but understand we cannot clap our hands if this turns into a bloody war...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 12:48:24 AM »
Great profiles darkfold. :)

Folks a general warning.  Given the sensitivity of the Ukraine situation at the moment and the risk of people getting emotive over it, I ask that you do not post anything regarding the current political situation.  I am sure you know what I mean and I trust you will all play nicely.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 02:12:05 AM »
A very delicate situation that I pray settles soon and peacefully for the sake of all. My best wishes for my friends and acquaintances, Russian, Ukrainian and others, who have loved ones caught up in this.

May reason and sanity prevail.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:18:36 AM by Volkodav »

Offline kim margosein

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 09:16:52 AM »
Great pictures!   I have a rather shabby Fulcrum I planned to repaint.  I think I have the scheme.  One problem, though.  I can't find the squadron insignia.  It looks like a white St George on a red field, could you run a larger drawing?  I couldn't find it in photos or decals of any Ukrainian aircraft, and in fact the photos of 204 av. brigade show no squadron or personal markings. 

Offline darkfold

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 04:11:28 PM »
The squadron badge (I think that better name for it is air force badge), is derived from Crimea coat of arms:

I take silver griffin (which is traditional heraldic symbol of Chersonesos and Panticapaeums who settled a north territory of Black Sea) with blue pearl (symbol of rich and trade routes of Black Sea) in red field and lined it by ukrainian colors (I orginally thought to use same colours which are used on Crimea coat of arms ribbon (same as on Russian Federation flag) but finally I think that this will be more traditional and connecting the separatist with former Ukraina). Finished badge looks like this:

The size is same as in ukrainian roundel on former planes - on Flanker is this roundel on air intake completely covered by this badge, on Fulcrum is badge painted under cockpit covering former OKB Mikoyan-Gurevich badge.

Offline kim margosein

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 08:18:16 AM »
Thanks.  I think I'll dust off the Fulcrum I have hanging around.  I did check Flags of the World later, and you could go in several interesting directions with the heraldry.

Offline kim margosein

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 08:20:15 AM »
Orrr.... you could replace the Ukrainian shield on the tail with the Crimean shield.