Author Topic: Consolidated B-24B  (Read 4226 times)

Online Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
Consolidated B-24B
« on: December 22, 2014, 08:32:51 AM »
Since Consolidated missed out on the Davis wing that was so important to the "real world" B-24 (see here: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=4927.15), they did not have a world class long-range bomber to offer the USAAC.  Instead, they competed with North American for the medium bomber market (Martin, of course was busy with the long-range, four-engine, Davis-winged B-26). 

This is my excuse to mate my left-over Martin B-10 wings with my PB4Y (aka B-24) fuselage.  Of course, the R-1820 engines of the B-10 would be insufficient, so a pair of R-2800s replaced them.  The wing was lowered to the mid-position, and the tricycle landing was replaced with tail-dragger gear, since the tricycle gear was motivated by the Davis wing.  The PB4Y's Erco nose turret was deleted and replaced by a bomb-aimer's nose. Below are a couple of teaser photos:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: Consolidated B-24B
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 09:30:40 AM »
As we seen here at BTS, you can kitbash most anything (even a laundry iron) into a different and interesting/inspiring subject.
Much as I like all land-sea-air-space builds; multi engine aircraft in prop or jet (e.g. B-58H) have a slight edge in holding my interest for kitbashes.

That said, and anyway, and whatever, and whatnot --- I really like your two way B-10 & B-24 combo kitbashes :)

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 11:32:40 AM »
Nice.

BTW there some real world twin-engine 'B-24' proposals from Consolidated,
it used two R-3350 ala the Davis-winged Model 31, one of them was for a naval
patrol bomber designated PB4Y-2.
 ;)
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Online Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 04:50:31 AM »
I have finally completed the B-24B build.  Shown below is a B-24B medium bomber used by the Fuerza Aerea Mexicana (FAM) for anti-submarine patrol.  20 B-24Bs were obtained under Lend-Lease and used from Veracruz to patrol the Gulf of Mexico and the western Caribbean.  FAM B-24Bs had their upper turrets removed to save weight, since they were not expected to meet fighter opposition.  However, they kept their ventral and tail turrets which were considered useful for searching and strafing surfaced U-boats. 

The B-24B in FAM service was equipped with a total of six .50-caliber machine guns (two in the tail turret, two in the ventral turret, and two fixed in the upper nose, aimed and fired by the pilot). FAM 116 was the most successful of all Mexican anti-submarine aircraft, being responsible for sinking U-504 in June, 1943, and U-171 in October, 1943.  She also participated in attacks on two other, unidentified U-boats.

The model is the fuselage of a Minicraft 1/72 PB4Y-1 mated to the wings of a Williams Brothers B-10.  Engines and cowling were F7F units from Quickboost.  The nose was created using dense foam and blister pack clear plastic.  Decals came from Aztec Decals' Juicy Jugs sheet (1/48). 

Hope you like her!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 05:04:45 AM »
Wow that's a real show-stopper. Chuck! Your mods appear seamless, especially that excellent new nose!

Using Mexican Air Force markings was truly inspired and makes it seem more plausible to me.

Congrats on building a real winner!

Brian da Basher

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 05:05:04 AM »
Very neat! Two R-2800s wouldn't be terribly impractical, either. That would be enough power to get it off the ground and at least do patrol missions. I imagine it would have similar performance to the PBM Mariner.

I wouldn't want to try to fly it with an engine out, though!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »
Reminds me a lot of the Fokker T.V medium bomber

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 02:48:34 PM »
Nice work :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 05:56:23 AM »
Reminds me a lot of the Fokker T.V medium bomber

I was going to say the same. Nice work!
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz