Author Topic: Harrier/Harrier II (AV-8...) Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 72601 times)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Re: Harrier/Harrier II (AV-8...) Ideas and Inspiration
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2015, 11:24:31 PM »
It is more likely to be one of the nine Kestrels that went to the USA after they were Tri-partied tested. Named XV-6A Kestrel or Kestrel FGA.1 (RAF). 

I've got models of both the P.1127 and the Kestrel and the latter is somewhat bigger than the P.1127 but not as big as a Harrier.

This Kestrel?

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2015, 11:46:20 PM »
It is more likely to be one of the nine Kestrels that went to the USA after they were Tri-partied tested. Named XV-6A Kestrel or Kestrel FGA.1 (RAF). 

I've got models of both the P.1127 and the Kestrel and the latter is somewhat bigger than the P.1127 but not as big as a Harrier.

This Kestrel?

Looks like it Carl, only mine was done by Heritage Aviation (who took over most of the Aardvark moulds I think) and are still available too correction, not available at the moment.

http://www.kitsforcash.com/hs-kestrel-unavailable-at-present-do-not-order-please-107-p.asp

You'll notice that there's no wing shown in the link, when I got mine the wing that came with it had a trailing edge that was at least 2mm thick, I sent off for a replacement and got one which was much better. I think they must be re-doing the wing mould for it which is why it's not available right now.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 11:59:01 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2016, 08:28:58 PM »
So in the old arcade game Mercs there's this Harrier as an end-of-level boss.

The nose looks to me curiously like an AV-8B nose, it's a bit blunt for an AV-8A/C/GR.1/FRS.1 nose. Which brought me the idea to acquire a GR.3 and an AV-8B. Transplant the nose (or nose and cockpit, or if it's easier, just do a wing swap for the AV-8B) of the AV-8B onto the GR.3, add SUU-23 pods from Hase weapons set, and it's the real-whiffworld version of this. Which leaves you with the GR.3 nose (or entire fuselage) and AV-8B (or its wings) which could be combined into a sort of "GR.5 prototype" done either in Raspberry Ripple or the 80's two greens (this "other" is why I wouldn't choose an AV-8A/GR.1).

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2016, 01:48:50 PM »
How about a twin engine harrier?

If stacked on top of each other like the Lightning each could have two nozzles and one tail pipe though another thought is wing mounted engines as per the Sud Aviation Vautour, YAK25/28.

Actually a Vautour arrangement could lead to a capable strike fighter or even a "Missileer" with a powerful radar, suitable for small carriers.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2016, 04:26:57 AM »
... another thought is wing mounted engines as per the Sud Aviation Vautour, YAK25/28...

The tricky bit would be interconnecting the nozzles for engine-out flight. Might be simpler to mount the engines side-by-side with two, bigger nozzles per side?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2016, 10:05:38 AM »
... another thought is wing mounted engines as per the Sud Aviation Vautour, YAK25/28...

Weeelllll !! my idea was this
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 10:09:16 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2016, 12:51:24 PM »
Doh! and I thought I was being so clever

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2016, 05:32:56 PM »
Great minds think alike  ---- right    ;)

My project came about because of all the multi-Pegasus engine projects that were being thought up, I thought they'd need a FTB to test the concept, hence the two engine setup put on a Canberra. 'Course, that led to something else  -----  ;D

I think I've a thread here somewhere of the build.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2016, 08:45:53 PM »

The tricky bit would be interconnecting the nozzles for engine-out flight. Might be simpler to mount the engines side-by-side with two, bigger nozzles per side?
How about cross-shafting between engines so that thrust can be maintained, at least somewhat, in an engine-out condition?  I rather suspect you'd need some electronics to synchronize the drive motors for the nozzles to make sure both engines vector identically.

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2016, 03:27:06 AM »

How about cross-shafting between engines so that thrust can be maintained, at least somewhat, in an engine-out condition?  I rather suspect you'd need some electronics to synchronize the drive motors for the nozzles to make sure both engines vector identically.

I think Dornier developed a computer specifically for such purposes when they created the Do-31 VTOL transport.
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2016, 05:59:59 PM »
Gee,,, missed this one.
Creative concept. :)    Really !
Am impressed by those pictures. 

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #136 on: September 05, 2017, 02:22:54 AM »
Interesting photo:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #137 on: September 05, 2017, 02:56:34 AM »
Could look quite interesting if combined with the original Maritime Harrier minimum-change conversion.  I still want to apply that nose to a Harrier T.4N or T.8, with radar, for full-up training without need for another training aircraft.

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2018, 01:31:35 AM »
Studies on non vtol Harrier

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 09:15:44 AM by ysi_maniac »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2018, 08:37:22 PM »
Found this on FB.

The owner of Lonewulf models has stated: "As I am working on another Sea Harrier project, I am also going to re-release the Sidetrack Harrier conversion as it has not been out for a while."

To best of my knowledge, Blackbird Models is the only distributor of his products:  https://www.blackbirdmodels.co.uk/lone-wulf-models-96-c.asp

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #140 on: August 22, 2018, 01:17:47 AM »
And, sadly, they seem to be OOS on so much of his stuff.  But, yeah, I'd go for a couple of this conversion and put one on a Harrier T.10/T.12 as a command and control link.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: August 22, 2018, 01:46:41 AM »
I've emailed Adrian.  Hope to get an update soon.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #142 on: August 22, 2018, 08:53:06 AM »
I've got one of those conversion from Adrian, he also sold me some extra parts from the conversion to do this

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #143 on: August 23, 2018, 01:15:30 AM »
Please let him now that I'm interested in more than one, plsu more than one of the new Hunter items you showed on the Hunter thread.  One thought, does anyone make a Fairey Fireflash for use on Hunter and Swit models?

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2018, 01:59:59 AM »
Please let him now that I'm interested in more than one, plsu more than one of the new Hunter items you showed on the Hunter thread.  One thought, does anyone make a Fairey Fireflash for use on Hunter and Swit models?

Pavla Evan, and I think there's another company that does them too, thinking maybe AlleyCat

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2018, 02:31:51 AM »
Pavla Evan, and I think there's another company that does them too, thinking maybe AlleyCat

The AlleyCat Models site still offers its Supermarine Swift F7 Conversion for £14.   https://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/supermarine-swift-f7-conversion-6522-p.asp

The Pavla U72-175 set has two resin Fireflash missiles for the Swift F.7 but doesn't show up on the pavlamodels.cz website.
 -- https://www.aviationmegastore.com/supermarine-swift-f7-fireflash-missiles-2pcs-airfix-u72175-pavla-pavu72175-aircraft-weaponry/product/?action=prodinfo&art=144226
 -- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pavla-U72174-1-72-Resin-Supermarine-Swift-F-Mk-7-Conversion-set-Airfix-/332187314730
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2018, 02:47:21 AM »
Found a British seller on Ebay who had just the Fireflash missiles and pylons.  Ordered a couple sets from him; good man, I've bought from him before.  If nothing else, 'twill be a different item to hang under a Hunter.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 02:59:45 AM by elmayerle »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2018, 01:42:53 PM »
Random idea:  Liechtenstein Harrier
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2018, 05:28:54 PM »
Interesting photo:

Do you have any more details on this photo Greg?

M.A.D

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #149 on: October 08, 2018, 01:38:35 AM »
I believe it's one of the DB Harriers during development and testing leading to the Sea harrier FRS.1.  There was also one flying with an aerodynamic shape for a radome to be fitted to a standard Harrier for a minimum-change Maritime Harrier.