Author Topic: 1/72 Fairey Fantom night fighter for New Year's  (Read 7075 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/72 Fairey Fantom night fighter for New Year's
« on: December 31, 2014, 04:08:11 AM »
Ever since the zeppelin raids during W.W. I, Great Britain has maintained a night fighting force. However, by the 1930s, the vintage Bristol Fighters used for this defense were well past their prime. The Fairey engineers (or the engineers from Fairey as they prefer to be known) responded to Air Ministry requirement 76/31NF with a unique design which was truly cutting edge for the time any way you sliced it:

A two-place monoplane with twin-rudder configuration, the new night fighter was powered by a license-built version of the 12 cylinder monster that powered American Cadillacs of the era and possessed the most amazing, spatted landing gear yet seen. In fact, it was assumed that the mere intimidation factor of those lovely yet dangerous spats would be enough to scare off any foe. However, the new night fighter was also well-armed with two 9 mm Brownings on the engine decking and one 7.9 mm Hotchkiss gun in the rear, protecting the tail.

Dubbed the Fairey "Fantom" by a semi-literate Air Ministry typist, the new night fighter eventually equipped four RAF night fighter squadrons by 1935. This would prove fortunate timing indeed as events would later prove.

On the afternoon of December 31, 1935, a balloon full of New Year's revelers took flight from the small Dutch town of Schnueggevelt. As their altitude rose, the temperature dropped, forcing the Dutch passengers to indulge in some oude jenever spirits to fend off the cold.

Eventually, they couldn't feel the cold, but they did feel like singing. And sing they did. This was lucky as visibility was poor that night, so while the balloon was invisible as it drifted closer to British airspace, the singing was picked up by early-warning listening devices and the alarm was raised and the RAF scrambled. Unfortunately, the RAF's new night fighters were covered by tarps and impossible to find in the inky blackness.

As adding carrots to the RAF diet to improve night vision was still years in the future, the night fighter crews scrambled around like Keystone Cops, running into each other but still not finding their aircraft.

Fortunately, the thick clouds lifted and the moon came out. The crews manned their planes and took off. Unfortunately, the moon also illuminated the balloon full of Dutch New Year's revelers as it soared majestically over St. Paul's cathedral.

By the time the Fairey Fantoms were able to give chase, a freak gust propelled the balloon back over the English Channel towards Holland and out of the clutches of the RAF.

While the RAF was embarrassed by their failure to intercept the intruder, the performance of the Fairey Fantoms was held blameless. Ironically, this incident would lead to improvements in night fighter capabilities.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 04:51:14 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/72 Fairey Fantom night fighter for New Year's
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 04:41:36 AM »
They say that the sum is greater than the parts, and I hope in this case it's true. The basis of this project is a nameless 1/72 Me-110 fuselage & horiz stabs that came in a box of parts from the late, great HOG along with that bit of upper engine decking holding the guns. The wings are from a 1/48 Fairey Swordfish that came in another box of parts Mr Fontaine sent me (thanks a million, Jeff!). As the wings had no lower pieces, I backed them with card stock.

To this mish-mash I added the grill from an SE-5, twin rudders from a 1/144 B-24 and the canopy from a 1/72 Chipmunk. I used spare drop-tank halves to camouflage the wing root. I think it resembles an enlarged gas tank. Rigging was done with the great plastic wire from Mr Fontaine (thanks again, Jeff!). I'm not sure where the prop came from, but it looks like it belongs on a Gloster Gauntlet.

The spats were scratched from card using my patented "half wheel on a stick" method.

Yes, those are Stuka tail struts propping up those spats. I just love doing things like this.

The model was brush-painted by hand in acrylics, Gloss Black mostly. Decals were a mix, but the wing roundels were from a sheet of 1/48 markings I got especially for this project to cover up the circles engraved on the wingtips.

I've been working on this model on and off over the last couple of weeks, although the planning was done years ago.

Here's a couple of bonus shots of those fearsome spats!

I hope you enjoyed the Fairey Fantom and reading a little more forgotten history of the RAF.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 05:07:12 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 09:45:12 AM »
Another niche of RAF history revealed !
Did RAF reverse lettering from one side of fuselage to the other (W6D & D6W) to fool enemy into thinking different planes were attacking from differnt sides?  Increasing intelligence estimates of size of RAF?
Bang up job of oscuring fuselage donor.  Upon seeing spats that large supported by a strut, one knows this airplane is tuff.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:30:41 PM by finsrin »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 01:00:44 PM »
Classic way to end 2014! :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 01:59:19 PM »
Sweet as.
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 05:07:21 PM »
Wow, Brian, that Fantom is phabulous!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 01:20:48 AM »
Good looking plane Brian! You do a better job hand painting than I do with an airbrush.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 11:57:59 AM »
Another top build, absolutely love it.

When I saw this topic I actually thought it was the Fairey Fantome

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Fant%C3%B4me

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 05:59:22 AM »
Love it!  :)  Is it just me or does the Fantom have a French look about it?
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 07:13:09 AM »
YES!  The nose reminded me immediately of the Breguet 273 and ANF Mureaux 115. 

Chuck

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 09:16:04 AM »
I too was thinking it looked quite French. Great job Brian, the only part I recognised was the canopy!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 09:30:31 AM »
Slow golf clap for Brian. Fairey Fantome is the most beautiful of biplanes, the Fairey Fantom
a very unaesthetic monoplane.
 ;D

p.s the Caddy V-12 wasn't very large at 368 in3 and only 135hp.  ;)
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 06:24:25 AM »
For a pre-war monoplane.. that works for me.

Another BdB Enterprises first class achievement

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 07:46:58 PM »
Looks very cool.  Nice work

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 12:56:04 AM »
Wonderful mix! Congratulations, both for your imagination and for the skills turning into a "real" airplane!

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 11:39:15 AM »
... the only part I recognised was the canopy!

Good eye! The revelation of 1/144 B-24 vertical tails had me slapping my forehead!
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 04:15:13 AM »
I love this, Its amazing what you can do with such a varied collection of parts, and I really feel it fits the time period as well.  :) :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher