Author Topic: 1/35 Lehaitre tracked motorcycle  (Read 6015 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/35 Lehaitre tracked motorcycle
« on: December 25, 2018, 11:53:51 AM »
Inspired by Story's post of the cover of "Modern Mechanix" (Feb. 1938) with a tracked motorcycle I decided to make a 1/35 scale version inspired by the design. The original motorcycle was made by the French engineer Lehaitre and obviously never saw service. There are pictures from the magazine on the Internet, and the cover artwork isn't far off.

This is what I have so far, in Rhino 3D:

I added some bolts, raised areas for the drive and return wheel and some bolts for the return rollers.

I still have to add the handle bars and some other bits, but they may come from a donor kit. I'll try to print it in ABS on my FDM printer and if it looks good, I may send it to Shapeways to have a better print made. As far as I can tell, the engine sat inside the track belt. I have a complete loop of track; if I end it to Shapeways, I'll cut the track to only show the exposed sections.

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: 1/35 Lehaitre tracked motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 12:00:10 PM »
Makes so much sense.  Should have been model long ago.  Good to know you are making it happen.  :smiley:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 03:11:42 PM »
The renders sure look convincing!  Just what you need for cruising the snow covered back ways of Canada and Russia :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 02:33:51 AM »
Outstanding
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 11:02:47 AM »
Beautiful rendition of this item.  One question, though, how the heck do you steer the thing?

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 05:25:38 PM »
Excellent choice!

May the gods of 3d printing be with you :)

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 06:59:56 PM »
Frank3k this is a fantastic example of 3D modeling!
Should you decide to separate the pieces and print it I would buy it as a model kit!!!

8)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 05:49:45 AM »
Thanks for all the comments! I'm printing a copy out on my printer - I don't know if it's going to be good enough. I may mke a "blank" version without bolt details that should print better.
I uploaded it to Shapeways; they've recently increased their printing prices and it shows  - this model would cost almost $30 in the highest resolution plastic.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 08:12:52 AM »
That's some mighty fine rendering, Frank, and I'm excited to see you tackle one of my favorite Modern Mechanix subjects!

Watching with interest,

Brian da Basher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 09:11:03 AM »
The test print at 0.1mm layer height looks like a dog's breakfast. I may have been printing too fast (you can see ringing from the print head as it moved) , but I'm not sure that a slower speed would help. I may send this to a local 3D Hub to have someone print it on an SLA resign printer. It will probably be cheaper than Shapeways.

I cut off the upper part of the track, because it will never be seen.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 11:34:08 AM »
I finished this model on the 31 but completed the painting yesterday, so I'm calling this one my first model of 2019. This was the best I could do with my printer, at this scale:

Top view:

Detail of the instrument panel and spare magazine/underwear/lunch bag. The instruments are from the TriStar 1/35 Scale German Panzer 38(t) Full Interior Set - crisply molded, plenty of useful parts and pretty cheap. The handlebars were made from a German wire cutter from the same set, IIRC. I just grabbed it by the cutting blades and heated them up until they sagged the right amount. The hub/speedometer is a random bit from the same set.  The right brake handle is from an old DML Desert Storm motorcycle kit. The bag is from the Bronco 1/35 British AFV Equipment WWII set:

Front view with the inspecting bureaucrat:

Side view. The Vickers K? machine gun is also from the Bronco set. I didn't want to waste a water cooled MG for this kit. As you can see, the finer details are just too small for the printer. It looks OK from a foot away, though.

Thanks for looking! I may send this off to be printed at a local 3D Hub, if it's cheaper than Shapeways.

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 12:03:28 PM »
Is quite a scene. :smiley:

Wonder if he is test driver writing gripes of things to change-fix ?
Dang good build.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 12:16:39 PM »
“A vieille mule, frein doré” - the French equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig

- impossible to steer quickly!
- tracks limit speed
- minimal clearance between body and ground!
- steel shell adds excessive weight
- lack of proper suspension and thin seat cause great driver discomfort
- lack of rear mud flap causes mud, dirt and rocks to be thrown at driver, even at modest speeds
- footpads marginal in protecting against hot exhaust

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 07:37:34 PM »
But apart from those "minor inconveniences", it is a really cool looking vehicle :) :) :)
How would it steer, anyway????

Thanks for sharing!

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 07:52:18 PM »
Awesome work Frank! Nothing wrong with this build.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 04:11:59 AM »
@Frank-> the next one should have features fitted to make it look like something that an outlaw motorcycle gang member would ride.  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 05:42:04 AM »
Yet another marvel, Frank and I really like your modified W.W. I scheme!

I don't think there could be any greater testament to your incredible modeling skill than turning those rough pieces into such a polished gem!

Brian da Basher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 05:57:46 AM »
Thanks for all the comments. I can generate the equivalent of a cutting path for a cutter like the Silhouette and try this again in plain styrene.  Someone sold a scratchbuilt variant on ebay as well, that looks cooler:

@Jeff - I think this would make for a very slow Easy Rider.

The original Lehaitre turned not by twisting the front roller, but by shifting the track to the left or right (maybe the front and rear sections moved in opposite directions to turn)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 05:59:52 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 01:56:44 PM »
@Frank - The version in your most recent comment definitely looks nicer with the curved features instead of the chunky angular look of your version. 

Yeah, figured it would not be much of a speeder but in the what-if-verse it could have a place as an outlaw biker gang vehicle.  The blocky-angular look of your model reminds me a little of the Rokon ATV 2-wheel drive motorcycle

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 07:12:30 AM »
I'm so glad one of my excretions here inspired someone to create something.

Someone sold a scratchbuilt variant on ebay as well, that looks cooler:

You shut your mouth.  That one is different, but equally cool as yours. Reach out to the builder, invite him here.

Also, if you (or anyone else) makes one of these I could see it being tasked as a wire-laying vehicle assigned to a signals unit (1935-41) in seasons and locations where mud was the primary opponent.

Offline arctic warrior

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 04:50:50 PM »
Curved speeder is post Chanel-treatment - Yours the rough and tough model for REAL military men smoking Gaulois without filters and drinking Absint!  >:(