Author Topic: Airfix  (Read 165274 times)

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
Re: Airfix
« Reply #400 on: November 23, 2019, 07:31:33 PM »
I'm too polite to answer your "opinion" with the appropriate level of derision  ;) ;)

We can agree to disagree on the subject of "God's One True Scale"  :D

Still need Airfix to produce a decent Spit FR Mk.XIV in 1/72 without skimping on detail though  :smiley: :smiley:
As well as some decent Seafires in 72nd too  :P :P
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #401 on: November 23, 2019, 10:37:07 PM »
I'm too polite to answer your "opinion" with the appropriate level of derision  ;) ;)

We can agree to disagree on the subject of "God's One True Scale"  :D

Still need Airfix to produce a decent Spit FR Mk.XIV in 1/72 without skimping on detail though  :smiley: :smiley:
As well as some decent Seafires in 72nd too  :P :P

Depends which pantheon you pray to.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #402 on: November 24, 2019, 03:03:33 AM »
I understand the accepted sacrifice to the Gods is to burn 1/72 scale kits on the altar... ;D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #403 on: November 24, 2019, 05:33:10 PM »
I understand the accepted sacrifice to the Gods is to burn 1/72 scale kits on the altar... ;D

Sounds like paganism, "Gods" ;)

We all know God models in 1/72 as he's a model builder  ;) ;)

Where's that 1/72nd Seafire Airfix?????? ::)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #404 on: November 24, 2019, 06:10:49 PM »
By the way, bro! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! ;D O0

(Even if you are a 1/72 heathen! ;))
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #405 on: November 24, 2019, 11:48:43 PM »
RofLA-face by Big Gimper, on Flickr
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #406 on: November 25, 2019, 04:49:41 PM »
RofLA-face by Big Gimper, on Flickr

Unfortunately the gent looks like a 48th scale assembler who has discovered that a 72nd Airfix kit was actually better  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Enough of this frivolity, back to the WHIFFING  :)) :)) :)) :))

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #407 on: December 27, 2019, 06:30:03 PM »

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #408 on: December 28, 2019, 07:15:18 PM »
A new Tiggy in the Devil's scale I see  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
Well at least we got a new Tiggy in "The One True Scale" first this time  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #409 on: January 06, 2020, 11:13:36 AM »
Only a few hours until the official 2020 range launch (1500h GMT on 6 January) but someone slipped up and a preview of the range from Airfix Model World magazine popped up online a couple of days ago:

It's already been taken down from Britmodeller, and all threads concerning releases therein scrubbed, amid much debate.

I'm keen for two Beauforts but my needs are pretty specific: a Mk.V for T9552/A9-13 and a Mk.VII A9-141/VH-KTW...

The Sabre is a good idea (even if I want an RAAF one), even in this preview there's a lot to be interested in.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #410 on: January 06, 2020, 11:58:40 PM »
Really interested in that new tool Vulcan, and the Beaufort goes on my list just to complete the Bristol line of aircraft. But that 1/48 Sabre Mk.4 would definitely jump to the top of 'to buy' first list.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #411 on: January 07, 2020, 02:14:04 AM »
I just wish the Beaufort was in 1/48

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #412 on: January 07, 2020, 03:44:43 AM »
How did I know you'd say that?  ;D I wonder if that will come, though...the Blenheim did, but no sign of the Beaufighter in 1/48...yet...

My brain woke me up early(er than I have done lately) and I have some toast and coffee ready to thoroughly digest the range announcement...

Airfix new for 2020 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

Oh dear.

It's interesting that (as of this edit at 0913h my time) on Scalemates 33 people (myself included) have added the Beaufort to their wishlist, 20 want the Canuckistani-built Sabre....but only seven want the Spitfire Vc! It seems those of us who have clamoured for a Beaufort for so long are rather vindicated!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 04:13:42 AM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #413 on: January 07, 2020, 08:32:23 AM »
That's brilliant, a Beaufort in '72 . . . SCORED  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) The computer rendering looks very nice indeed.
I can see some RAAF builds on the way sooner or later  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
But we still don't have decent new tools for a Hunter, Walrus, Seafire, Meteor etc, they came out in the other scale, so where's the "God's Scale" toolings?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #414 on: January 08, 2020, 01:40:44 AM »
How did I know you'd say that?  ;D I wonder if that will come, though...the Blenheim did, but no sign of the Beaufighter in 1/48...yet...

I have been pushing for a 1/48 Beaufort for years now and have even contacted some manufacturers directly regarding it.  I find it frustrating that we have kits of dozens of Bf109s etc and even ones of one-offs, napkinwaffen etc but can't get a kit (other than in vacuform) of an aircraft that played a major role in WWII and had over 1000 produced and served with 6 countries.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #415 on: January 08, 2020, 01:50:19 AM »
Airfix's own words re the Beaufort:

The second in a successful trio of twin engined aircraft designed by the Bristol Aeroplane Company during the 1930s, the Beaufort is significant as the only monoplane produced for the Royal Air Force designed from the outset as a torpedo bomber and reconnaissance platform. Developed from the Blenheim light bomber, the Beaufort was ordered ‘off the drawing board’ by the Air Ministry, a move which showed great faith in the Bristol Company, whilst at the same time illustrating the RAF’s urgent need for an effective torpedo bomber.

Although initially intended as an evolutionary adaptation of the existing Blenheim bomber, it quickly became apparent that the new aircraft would look significantly different from its predecessor, with a much deeper front fuselage section housing a crew of four and the ability to carry a torpedo in a semi-recessed configuration. These modifications resulted in a gross weight increase of around 25% over that of the Blenheim and would require the installation of more powerful engines, if the new aircraft was not to suffer a significant performance reduction – indeed, the new engines for the aircraft, combined with the existing production commitments for the Blenheim would cause lengthy delays during the Beaufort’s development. With the initial contract placed in August 1936, despite the pressing need for the new aircraft, it would be more than two years before the prototype Beaufort took to the air. Entering Royal Air Force service with No.22 Squadron Coastal Command in January 1940, the Beaufort proved to be a rugged and highly manoeuvrable aircraft, although the engines continued to be something of a problem.

Initially employed laying mines in enemy waters, Beauforts would later mount attacks against the German battleships Scharnhorst and Gneisenau and the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen, however, in the European theatre, the aircraft would operate in the main as a medium bomber. In the Mediterranean, Beauforts operating from Egypt and Malta would take a terrible toll of Axis shipping and during a concerted onslaught from the middle of 1942, would make a significant contribution in denying Rommel’s Afrika Korps the vital supplies they needed to continue fighting the desert war. Due to the weight of the aircraft, a steep diving approach was not suitable for the Beaufort and a torpedo attack run needed to commence at a relatively low, flat attitude and quite some way from the target, if the torpedo release was to be successful and not hit the water ineffectively at a steep angle. This made the aircraft vulnerable to accurate defensive fire, however, Beaufort pilots were brave and aggressive in their flying, using the excellent manoeuvrability of the aircraft to make the enemy gunners job much more difficult. Further afield,
Beauforts of the Royal Australian Air Force would also prove extremely effective in the South-West Pacific, taking a heavy toll of Japanese shipping and posting an impressive operational record in the process.
Also employed in bombing, reconnaissance, convoy protection and troop resupply duties,the 700 Beauforts produced in Australia were regarded as some of the most reliable Allied aircraft to operate in these often demanding environments and were well-liked by both air and ground crews. Eventually equipping 19 RAAF Squadrons, the Beaufort was described as being perhaps the most important Allied aircraft in defeating Japanese forces in the South West Pacific region, which is some accolade for an aircraft whose contribution has largely been overlooked in the years since the end of WWII.
Airfix

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #416 on: January 08, 2020, 04:36:11 AM »
I learned something new today! Thanks for posting that.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #417 on: January 08, 2020, 04:43:05 AM »
At first glance at the pic I thought it was a Douglas product. Now I have to look up Bristol aircraft.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #418 on: January 08, 2020, 06:19:33 AM »
Airfix's own words re the Beaufort:

The second in a successful trio of twin engined aircraft designed by the Bristol Aeroplane Company during the 1930s, the Beaufort is significant as the only monoplane produced for the Royal Air Force designed from the outset as a torpedo bomber and reconnaissance platform. Developed from the Blenheim light bomber, the Beaufort was ordered ‘off the drawing board’ by the Air Ministry, a move which showed great faith in the Bristol Company, whilst at the same time illustrating the RAF’s urgent need for an effective torpedo bomber.

Although initially intended as an evolutionary adaptation of the existing Blenheim bomber, it quickly became apparent that the new aircraft would look significantly different from its predecessor, with a much deeper front fuselage section housing a crew of four and the ability to carry a torpedo in a semi-recessed configuration. These modifications resulted in a gross weight increase of around 25% over that of the Blenheim and would require the installation of more powerful engines, if the new aircraft was not to suffer a significant performance reduction – indeed, the new engines for the aircraft, combined with the existing production commitments for the Blenheim would cause lengthy delays during the Beaufort’s development. With the initial contract placed in August 1936, despite the pressing need for the new aircraft, it would be more than two years before the prototype Beaufort took to the air. Entering Royal Air Force service with No.22 Squadron Coastal Command in January 1940, the Beaufort proved to be a rugged and highly manoeuvrable aircraft, although the engines continued to be something of a problem.

Initially employed laying mines in enemy waters, Beauforts would later mount attacks against the German battleships Scharnhorst and Gneisenau and the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen, however, in the European theatre, the aircraft would operate in the main as a medium bomber. In the Mediterranean, Beauforts operating from Egypt and Malta would take a terrible toll of Axis shipping and during a concerted onslaught from the middle of 1942, would make a significant contribution in denying Rommel’s Afrika Korps the vital supplies they needed to continue fighting the desert war. Due to the weight of the aircraft, a steep diving approach was not suitable for the Beaufort and a torpedo attack run needed to commence at a relatively low, flat attitude and quite some way from the target, if the torpedo release was to be successful and not hit the water ineffectively at a steep angle. This made the aircraft vulnerable to accurate defensive fire, however, Beaufort pilots were brave and aggressive in their flying, using the excellent manoeuvrability of the aircraft to make the enemy gunners job much more difficult. Further afield,
Beauforts of the Royal Australian Air Force would also prove extremely effective in the South-West Pacific, taking a heavy toll of Japanese shipping and posting an impressive operational record in the process.
Also employed in bombing, reconnaissance, convoy protection and troop resupply duties,the 700 Beauforts produced in Australia were regarded as some of the most reliable Allied aircraft to operate in these often demanding environments and were well-liked by both air and ground crews. Eventually equipping 19 RAAF Squadrons, the Beaufort was described as being perhaps the most important Allied aircraft in defeating Japanese forces in the South West Pacific region, which is some accolade for an aircraft whose contribution has largely been overlooked in the years since the end of WWII.
Airfix

I think the bit that stands out from Airfix's own words is at the end of their info block, the bit that says;
"the Beaufort was described as being perhaps the most important Allied aircraft in defeating Japanese forces in the South West Pacific region, which is some accolade for an aircraft whose contribution has largely been overlooked in the years since the end of WWII."

I actually think your right GTX, it seems a reverse situation to what I complain about. The Beaufort is surprisingly neglected in all scales, although the 1/72 High Planes versions are quite nice a 1/32 or even 1/48 kit are VERY overdue  ;)
Regards all  :icon_beer:
FAA  8) 8)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 06:21:27 AM by FAAMAN »

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #419 on: January 08, 2020, 07:45:20 PM »
The Beaufort even replaced the B-25 in Australian service, quite unusual when you consider US production had ramped up and you could have expected lend lease types to replace the local production type.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #420 on: January 10, 2020, 06:43:04 PM »
A filtered search on Airfix within the Hannants Future releases list comes up with 110 kits in all scales with both new tool and re-releases. This is the search string:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/futurereleases?search_direction=asc&manufacturer_id=7897

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #421 on: April 03, 2020, 01:12:00 AM »

April Fools! One day late.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #422 on: April 03, 2020, 01:18:47 AM »

April Fools! One day late.
Yeah, I can believe that.  My other thought was that the box seemed rather small for such a large model and I'd want a better perspective on such as well as solid numbers.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #423 on: April 03, 2020, 03:35:26 AM »
I understand Bill is waiting for the 1/24 B-36...

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #424 on: April 03, 2020, 05:26:11 AM »
I understand Bill is waiting for the 1/24 B-36...

Step at a time.   1/48 first.
Kit-bashing 1/24 B-36 into 1/72 would be a truly daunting build.
Even kit-bashing 1/24 Lancaster into 1/72 would be a truly daunting build with ~209 foot fuselage.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 01:21:30 PM by finsrin »