Current and Finished Projects > Scifi and Fantasy

Dune Atreides Ornithopter (Meng)

(1/2) > >>

Frank3k:
The Meng Atreides Ornithopter from Dune is a snap or press fit kit (with decals) that goes together in about 5 minutes and makes a nice display model as is.

Instead... I decided to glue and paint it and modify it slightly to represent a scene from the movie, where Gurney Halleck pulls Paul into the vehicle. I found a composite image that someone on RPF used to get the size of the vehicle.

I used those values to calculate the scale of the Meng kit - roughly, 1/245. Let's say 1/250. I was tempted to print some 1/250 figures, but I had some Herpa ground crew in 1/200 that were almost in the right positions. By comparing them to the figures in the image above and doing some creative plastic surgery, I think they came out looking close enough to the image:

Since the Orinthopter comes with in-flight and extended landing gear, I went with the extended gear (in the movie, they're just taking off). The extended rear ramp piece doesn't have a mounting hole for the mount, so I drilled one out.

I'll take better pictures tomorrow when there's some sunlight.

LemonJello:
That is a cool little (tiny!) model, Frank. 

GTX_Admin:
Roughly what scale do you estimate it to be?

Frank3k:
Using the "actual" dimensions calculated by Soswow on the RPF of:

--- Quote ---"My estimation is - full length (nose to end of fuselage) is 23.2m, wingspan (from the fuselage center) is 26.4m, Height is around 4.7m"
--- End quote ---

I measured the Meg kit and got a consistent scale range between 1/244-1/245.  1/250 is the closest "regular" scale (mostly paper models)

Frank3k:
I took some pictures of the orinthopter - not much Sun since there was a heavy overcast all day long:

In my hand, for scale:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version