Author Topic: Vehicle (Land, Sea, Air) Engines  (Read 3655 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Vehicle (Land, Sea, Air) Engines
« on: July 05, 2014, 05:50:48 AM »
First question of the thread:

I've been looking for size comparison between Ford GAA and Cummins VT8-460.

I've been unsuccessful so far, but I do find the engine displacements being 18.025L and 15.5L, respectively.

I know engine displacements do not concern themselves with anything other than the cylinders, but are they still any adquate indicator of relative size (i.e. bigger or smaller, for example) for engine comparison purposes?
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: Vehicle (Land, Sea, Air) Engines
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 06:21:08 AM »
Number of cylinders drives physical engine size, too.  For example, you can get both inline-4 and V-6 engines with 2.4L displacement and the V-6 is going to be wider, but not as long, relative to the inline-4.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 09:33:49 AM »
You need the volume of the engine, in total with all ancillaries, such as exhausts, radiators, etc.  This is usually expressed in metres or feet cubed.  The engine cylinder volume won't tell you very much about how big the volume of the engine itself plus everything else that is needs to make it work.  Power density is a good measure (how many HP per cubic metre) but that really doesn't start becoming a concern for most engine designers until about the 1980s.  The Germans are perhaps the masters of packing the maximum horsepower into the smallest volume, with 1500+HP being packed into 3-4m^3.

As a handy guesstimate, most early tank engines would consume about 2-3m^3.  Most medium sized tank engines would consume about 4-5m^3.  Most large tank engines would consume anything from about 5m^3 upwards.  Gas turbines in particular consume an awful lot of space inside a tank hull, not necessarily because of the engine itself but it's inlet, exhaust and heat exchanger requirements.

Online apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 12:58:57 PM »
Ford GAA

Length - 59.02 inches
Width -- 33.25 inches
Height - 47.78 inches
Weight - 1,470 lb. (incl. accessories)
Bore --- 5.4 inches
Stroke - 6.0 inches

http://www.easy39th.com/files/TM_9-1731B_Ford_Tank_Engines_%28Models_GAA,_GAF,_and_GAN%29_1945.pdf
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 01:15:30 PM »
More on the Ford GAA at Wikipedia

Displacement: 1100cu in (18.025 L)

Power output:    450 hp (336 kW) @ 2600 rpm
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg