Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 905154 times)

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2012, 03:16:26 AM »

That is a great family of tracked vehicles, in fact, you've given me an idea, and I have an old ROCO miniatures gepard spaag just waiting to be molded and produced in these guises

Yes, Apophenia is doing a great job with my Canaan. I wouldn't have imagined most of the spin offs he's posting here.

I'd love to see what you do with your Roco tank.

I recently bought a Revell 1/72 Leopard 2A4 to make a Canaan VI from.

Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2012, 06:01:53 AM »
Ack  :o  I mounted the wrong version of the Cortés variants! So, here's the right one ...  :-[
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2012, 07:30:31 AM »
Even though I prefer Spanish Republican markings, I'd make an exception for your awesome Cortés, apophenia! You have a real gift for profiles!

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2012, 08:01:35 AM »
Cheers Brian. Here's an oldie more to your tastes ... ¡Viva la República!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2012, 09:39:48 AM »
^ Oh, that one's subtle. Put it on a table between other Spanish Civil War stuff and no one will be any the wiser.

Love the Canaans! Awesome beasts!  >:D
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline apophenia

« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2012, 12:19:52 PM »
Thanks Moritz. That one was part of a series of vehicles and aircraft of a Republican faction that fought on in North Africa on the Allied side in World War II.

For my take on the CC-138C Guardian in Silver Fox's "Malignent Mustelid" thread, see:

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=884.msg9535#msg9535

Offline abtex

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2012, 02:18:41 PM »
Nice work. :)

What does the Cortés variants turrets on sdkfz chassic look like. Longer body hanging beyond wheel well. Maybe without the rivits and Birdcage 'armor' added.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2012, 05:26:54 PM »
Cheers Brian. Here's an oldie more to your tastes ... ¡Viva la República!

Ahh it warms my heart to see those Republican markings and my old friend Durruti mentioned again! Viva la Quinte Brigada!

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2012, 10:39:55 AM »
Oh, who can resist ... here's another oldie for ya, BdB  ;)
¡Viva la Columna Durruti!  ¡Viva la Federación Anarquista Ibérica!

abtex: Hmmm, a Republican Cortés ...  ;D

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2012, 07:27:34 AM »
Mmmm these just keep getting better and better, apophenia!

I wonder if the Abraham Lincoln Brigade is in your alternate Spanish Civil War as well?

I take it this is after la Columna Durruti took Melilla?

¡Más excelente!

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2012, 11:46:16 AM »
Brian: A potted history ... Like other soldiers of las Brigadas Internacionales, members of the Abraham Lincoln Battalion began to leave Spain in October 1938. With Franco's victory, a Mexico-based Republican government in exile was established. After September 1939, efforts were made to re-join the armed struggle against Fascism but France and Britain showed little interest. It was the US entry into the War that changed Republican fortunes.

The Allied powers agreed that a Spanish Republican force could be formed by combining the Spanish contingents already established in Mexico and the Soviet Union. Once joined, this Nuevo Ejército Republicano force took part in Operation Torch, the Allied invasion of North Africa.

Under the agreement with the Allies, nationals from the US, British Commonwealth, or Soviet Union could not join the NER. But, from inception, I Brigada Mixta del NER had international brigade units. These were drawn mostly from Latin America but also from refugees from the Fascist states of Europe -- primarily Germans and Italians but also other Europeans.

My illustrations all emphasizing the gleaned origins of NER equipment. But that was true of recruiting in North Africa as well. The new Brigadas Internacionales were swollen by fresh recruits taken from the captive Vichy Légion étrangère. Persistant rumors suggested that former members of the Lincoln-Washington Battalion were among those recruits.  ;)

Not all of the Morocco and Algeria stockade recruits were foreigners. One very willing  recruit was Cipriano Mera who had joined the Légion étrangère from an Oran prison in 1940. The former chief of the Republican 14th Division, Lt-Col Mera became the most celebrated commanders of the NER's Columna Anarquista ... including the famous 21ª Batallón de Infantería Mecanizada ('Durruti').

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2012, 05:22:52 PM »
¡Fantástico!

Your alternate history, especially the bit about Operation Torch, makes much more sense than anything my fevered imagination could come up with, apophenia!

¡Viva la Brigada Mixta del NER!

Brian da Basher

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2012, 08:01:14 PM »
Great tank! T(h)ank you ;)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2012, 11:43:21 AM »
Thanks lads.

Brian: The original concept came from Arc3371 on 'that other site'. It was called Spanish Civil War - The Rematch. I took the timeline to the point of throwing the Fachas out of Africa. Arc' was going to handle the Reconquista but I think the writing stalled.

In my timeline/scenario, the NER takes part in Sicily but not Italy proper. After that, the NER becomes a North African occupation/security force. That allows them to glean Axis kit from Algerian, Tunisian, and Libyan dumps and build up their fighting strength. With that, the NER liberates Ifni, Sáhara Español, the Canaries, and the Protectorado Español de Marruecos.

The Spanish Republican goverment-in-exile (NGREE, the Nuevo Gobierno Republicano Español en el Exilio) also sued for the release of Abd-el-Krim from French incarceration on Réunion. The Spanish Saharan province of Saguia el-Hamra would become the second Tagduda n Arif (Rif Republic) later encouraged to expand into Río de Oro, Ifni, and Morocco (where it met stiff post-War French colonial opposition).

I had a whole series of Nuevo Ejército Republicano - Cuerpo Aéreo (NERCA) Bf-109s but I think I dumped most of them. Here's a survivor - one NERCA 'G-2 and one Ejército del Aire version.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2012, 04:28:01 PM »
They look great.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2012, 07:12:02 PM »
Yes,me likey !
Alex

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2012, 03:54:34 AM »
Gracias for more on the alt. history and for those two very excellent 109s, apophenia! I'm very impressed by your attention to detail, especially the under-wing USAAF marking and the cool little "anti-fascista" emblem on the nose which reminds me of a very well-known Republican poster. Outstanding!

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

EdA Messerschmitts
« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2012, 08:31:25 AM »
Thanks guys! Brian: those under-wing USAAF roundels were used on all NERCA aircraft in North Africa. Handy when you're flying Messerschmitts above Allied gunners :)

Here's another pair of 109s -- later-model 'bad guys'

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2012, 05:04:09 PM »
Great Spanish stuff!

I particularly like that last pair of 109s
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2012, 09:03:48 AM »
Love that top Nationalist 109, apophenia! Gotta admit that scheme is very striking!

Brian da Basher

P.S. Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »
Thanks 'north: Here's some 109s from another AltHist scenario, this time an independant German East Africa established during WWII.

P.S. Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

;D  But where's Chevy Chase with the day count!

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #146 on: February 25, 2012, 07:15:17 PM »
Love these last fighters: congrats

« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2012, 03:04:28 AM »
Great 109s!

« Reply #148 on: February 27, 2012, 03:10:12 AM »
Outstanding........

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2012, 09:09:08 AM »
Some really unique concepts there.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John