Author Topic: Avia Arrow - A Sudeten Surprise  (Read 3408 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Avia Arrow - A Sudeten Surprise
« on: June 03, 2013, 01:16:19 AM »
After being told about the Munich agreement, Czechoslovak President Beneš replied that anyone who sought Czech territory would have to come and take it, regardless what the governments in Paris and London thought. This forced Hitler to implement "Case Green", the invasion of Czechoslovakia. However, things would not go as planned.

This  intelligence and logistical screw up wasn't the only thing that would stop the Germans, but it certainly slowed things down.

Adding to the misery of being hopelessly lost in a strange country, the Germans met a new foe in the air, the Top Secret Avia Arrow Czech fighter.

The new fighter had been developed completely in secret. Featuring a high-powered inline engine, an enclosed canopy, and armed with two 20 m.m. cannons in the wings and a machine gun that fired through the propeller hub, the new fighter also featured incredibly sexy, streamlined spatted landing gear which were the envy of air arms world-wide.

Not only the Luftwaffe found the Arrows a nasty surprise, but the Wehrmacht was completely overwhelmed by them too.

The Germans were tossed back across the border and Hitler and the Nazis were tossed out of power by a very angry and humiliated public. To this day, Czechs hail the Arrow as the little fighter that saved freedom.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:18:18 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Avia Arrow - A Sudeten Surprise
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 01:25:20 AM »
A while back, a good friend sent me a 1/72 Special Hobby He-100 kit.

Mine would come out a little bit differently.

It's a very nice, if simple, kit of a very cool record-breaking airplane.

Digging through the spares box, I found the leftover spats and tail feathers from a P-26. They were an excellent fit.

That's a U.S. penny in the shots for scale.

The other modifications were swapping out the kit prop for one from a Siskin and adding a Spitfire wing radiator under the nose.

The entire model was brush-painted by hand in acrylics and decals were more spares. It took me two days to build this little model.

I hope you liked it and the story of bad maps and lost Germans giving up to Avia Arrows. Here's a couple of shots showing off those intimidating spats.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:29:10 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 01:59:47 AM »
 :) ;D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 01:52:37 PM »
Top notch as always ... !!!!!!   Love the plane and the backstory.   As a side note, my Dad was in the 90th infantry and among the things I have from that time is a map of Paris. The Red Cross gave them to the victorious troops ,so they could get around. However, Paris was only on one side the other was a map of Britian and Ireland,printed in German !!!!!!   Somebody was planning ahead ......    LOL !!!!  Your story reminded me of this.
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 04:53:43 PM »
Really sleeked up the fuselage.  Roundish tail of P-26  :-* helps sleek look over square tail.  Would not thought of that.  I am learning from all BTS builds.
Think this is first BTS physical model featuring P-26  :-* parts.
With map mistake and surprise spatted fighter it is an intricate story.  Be a movie someday  ;)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 09:46:41 AM »
Yes, using the Peashooter tailplane was inspired.  :)   But, as always, it's the spats that really wins the war!
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 11:19:23 PM »
Awesomely awesome, covered in awesome sauce, topped with awesome sprinkles! :)

As usual, spats rule!

Alvis 3.1