Author Topic: Matthews Aviation Art  (Read 58017 times)

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
Re: Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2017, 10:01:00 PM »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2017, 06:39:52 AM »
...  I was hoping I hadn't gone overboard with the weathering effects on this one...

Not possible  ;)  Love the medium grey too  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2017, 07:47:44 AM »
Very nice!!  Please remind your client that later MiG-21 variants also carried a semi-active radar-guided variant of the Atoll and the final versions could also carry the AA-8 Aphid on twin launchers.  If you wish, I could check some references as to other Atoll variants that might could be used.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2017, 06:36:23 AM »
Well, if you wanted to go later still there was the MiG-21-93 proposal with different canopy and even R-77 missiles:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2017, 08:06:43 AM »
And a proposed re-engining of that with the RD-33 engine from the MiG-29.

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2017, 01:44:02 PM »
Very nice!!  Please remind your client that later MiG-21 variants also carried a semi-active radar-guided variant of the Atoll and the final versions could also carry the AA-8 Aphid on twin launchers.  If you wish, I could check some references as to other Atoll variants that might could be used.

Hi Elmayerle!  As a matter of fact, I suggested later variants of the ATOL, or another A2A missile on MERs, for this variant, but I haven't heard the "GO" for that.  I know he's on a budget and a schedule I do my best to honor.  He may not want me to go to the trouble or time of modeling these and may want me to move on to the next plane on the project list. 

Image of the finished gray MiG-21 BIS with better gamma correction:

This is actually how it looks when it pops out of the renderer (that's after the bell rings and the confetti sprays from the top of the monitor).  For some reason I didn't have the gamma output set as high as it should have been.

I'm looking forward to getting on with the next plane in the project line.  One of them is a seaplane, which should be fin to make.  We'll see!

Cheers!

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2017, 01:01:19 PM »
I'm happy to say here's the final version of the gray MiG-21 BIS with blue tac numbers:

After I complete texturing the CL drop tank I'll be starting on the next plane (either a MiG-23 or an SU-22).

Hope everyone here has a great weekend!

Cheers!

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2017, 01:20:29 PM »
HIYOOOOOOO!

Still working on MiGs.  I was asked to start on a MiG-23 next (the seaplane will have to wait I guess):

Modeling the fuselage as one piece, and creating the intakes was a chore, but it's getting there...

I'm still obsessing over the way the intakes blend in near the midsection of the fuselage, so more work is going on there.  I'll probably add the stabilizers soon.  I've been able to slow down on the MiG modeling of late, which has given me time to break out the F-105 again:

As you can see, the canopy and glazing has been sorted out and I've been working on the cockpit...

I modeled the cockpit tub and unwrapped it so it could be textured.  The instrument panel and side panels are finished, as are the gunsight and ejection seat.  Here's a shot where I put my XB-51 pilot in the driver's seat:

I have just a bit more work to do on the cockpit, but not much more.  Chances are the detail will go largely unnoticed or unseen at the distance the "camera" will be from the aircraft in the finished illustrations.  I'm really anxious to get cracking on the fuselage so I can start swathing it in camouflage. 

I do plan on making a few subtle modifications to the model to create earlier variants.  I absolutely have to paint this in bare metal and a Thunderbirds paint scheme!  It looked marvelous that way.  I also want to modify it to become an "F" or "G" model so I can do some Wild Weasel illustrations.  That shouldn't take a lot of doing though.  Just a stretch here and there, and modeling another canopy.  Fortunately I've saved this model at a stage where it's still possible to make that kind of modification.

That's about it for now.  I hope to post more soon with some SEA paint on this big bird. 

Cheers!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2017, 01:51:12 AM »
Loving the 'build' process here. :smiley:

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2017, 06:52:02 AM »
Loving the 'build' process here. :smiley:

It's funny you said that because that's just what it is.  And my process is always the same.  Working from a primitive object, forming the canopy, then usually the stabilizers, intakes, the wings, and, once everything is finished, then create the cockpit and anything that goes in there.  On the MiG-23 though I wanted to tackle the intakes after I got the shape of the canopy because they're split from the fuselage and I had to experiment with modeling it all as one piece.  Figuring out the smoothing groups for the intake area is a challenge, but it's coming together.

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2017, 07:30:07 AM »
Great job with Thunderchief so far...and now we have Mig-23 too...lovely !
Alex

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2017, 01:56:54 PM »
Great job with Thunderchief so far...and now we have Mig-23 too...lovely !

Thanks Alex!  I'm working on the textures for the air brake petals  for the 105 now.  And I have to get back to work on the MiG as well pretty soon also.  More progress images later this week, I hope!

Offline Geist

• Never give up from your dreams!
    • Duhr Aviation Art
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2017, 08:06:30 PM »
I like it (Thunderchief ) - great work!
Waiting for the painted version :)
Check out my other works at my website, leave your comments and download the wallpapers!
http://www.duhraviationart.com

Offline apophenia

« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2017, 05:56:15 AM »
Oh that is handsome. Looking forward to your Wild Weasel  :-*
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2017, 03:35:04 PM »
I like it (Thunderchief ) - great work!
Waiting for the painted version :)

Thank you!  Working on texturing it now, little by little.  Camo for this version soon.

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2017, 03:41:58 PM »
Oh that is handsome. Looking forward to your Wild Weasel  :-*

Thanks!  I'm looking forward to doing a Wild Weasel version quite a bit.  A lot of history to explore as far as possible scenes to create.

I've finished texturing the air brake petals for now.

Not that the reflection or gloss maps couldn't be tweaked a bit here and there, but I'm generally happy with them for the moment.

I think tomorrow is going to be a MiG day.  I really need to finish modeling the stabilizers.  Then I can play with the 105 some more. 

Cheers!

Offline apophenia

« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2017, 05:56:58 AM »
John: those hinged petals on the exhaust nozzle are gorgeous! Watching with interest  :D

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2017, 11:21:04 PM »
John: those hinged petals on the exhaust nozzle are gorgeous! Watching with interest  :D

Wow!  Thank you so much!  They aren't rigged for movement right now, but they can be positioned since they're separate objects from the fuselage.  The canopy is the same way. 

Thanks again!

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2017, 07:42:35 AM »
No 105 activity because of work on my client's MiG-23:

The fuselage and stabilizers are blocked in now.  Fixed a few issues where the intakes meet the fuselage, extruded the exhaust, and the nose pitot tube...

I'm hoping to have the wings on by the end of the week, then refine the contours on the underside of the ship before adding on all of the bits that protrude from this beastie...

I'm going to also start sorting out the material IDs for the 105 model so I can begin texturing the fuselage.  No idea as of yet who's ship I'll paint it as, so I'm doing a bit of research before I begin.

Till next time, Cheers!

Offline apophenia

« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2017, 07:46:46 AM »
Very nice  :smiley:  I love how, in the top image, there seems to be a seam running down the centreline of the fuselage. I guess 3D modelling has its equivalents to filler and sanding sticks  ;D

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #120 on: December 19, 2017, 09:15:22 AM »
Very nice  :smiley:  I love how, in the top image, there seems to be a seam running down the centreline of the fuselage. I guess 3D modelling has its equivalents to filler and sanding sticks  ;D

Seems you've seen my seam.  (Ha!)   :o  This is what I get for making anything what popped out of a mold that's been in use since 1973. 

With the symmetry modifier being used I get one of those if the vertices along the centerline haven't been aligned and a setting re: those verts is set to zero.  Nothing some Squadron Green won't cure!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2017, 01:37:58 AM »
I love how it almost looks like a resin build due to the colour. :smiley:

Offline lippischh

• Wings? We don't need no stinkin' wings ...
« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2018, 04:50:08 AM »
Nice model you've got going on here! i'm guessing 3dsmax?

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2018, 03:25:48 PM »
Nice model you've got going on here! i'm guessing 3dsmax?

Like me, an older version.  Ha!

Been working on camouflage this week.  Absent national insignia, panel lines, markings (etc.), here are a couple renders I made in Vue Studio:

I'll be rendering the completed plane against scenery/clouds/etc. created in Vue (as I did the XB-51 and the L-133 illustrations).  Unfortunately, Vue is not playing nicely with the model after it was imported and, for whatever reason, doesn't like my UV map for my fuselage (there are a couple of blue bits visible on the port intake and the roots of the horizontal stabilizers where the UV map has been deformed).  I also had to dance with it for awhile before it liked the canopy frame and wanted to accept the texture map for it.  I didn't have these issues with the other two planes I imported.  Fortunately, E-on Software are quick to respond via Facebook (despite their website having been down for maintenance for ages now) and someone from support is supposed to get back with me tomorrow via email.

Here's a shot from a render in 3ds:

(I really need to get the arresting hook painted  :-[)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2018, 07:04:52 AM »
Oh, that is handsome  :smiley: At risk of sounding obsessed with petal nozzles, that rear view shows off the exhaust to perfection  :-*