Author Topic: Grumman Albatross (Dark Knight version)  (Read 4768 times)

Offline bluesman

• Last of the Real Live Bluesmen
    • Magnum Creative Group
Grumman Albatross (Dark Knight version)
« on: June 27, 2015, 12:24:13 PM »

The Grumman Albatross is one of my favorite flying boats. Also like the turbo Mallards in Chalk's livery. After acquiring this kit from a friend in Colorado, I was thinking of what to do with it. A Swedish SAR version crossed my mind, but then it hit me.Do the version from Dark Knight, the charter plance Bruce Wayne hired to tak him out of Gotham to go track down Lao and deliver him to Gotham PD.

So thats what she's gonna be. The pics are of a screen cap from the film, box art of the Monogram kits, and my first steps. There is a huge gap at the door, My solution was to tack it in place with super glue. I put some packing tape on the outside to hold the door more securely then on the interior I applied some black tulip fabric paint. Worked out very well and I am looking forward to getting on with the build.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
Re: Grumman Albatross (Dark Knight version)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 01:30:22 PM »
Cool bird the Albatross 8), don't forget to get rid of those ridiculous mushroom sized rivets :) :)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline bluesman

• Magnum Creative Group
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 11:08:58 PM »
The de riveting has begun. I was gonna lose rivets when I close the hull up and fill the seams, and in all my pics of of the aircraft even fairly close up, you cant see the rivets.

Offline wagnersm

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 08:30:39 AM »
I remember building that kit years ago and enjoying it.   Nice aircraft.

Are you going to maintain the retractable landing gear that the model has if I remember correctly?

Steve

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 09:08:59 AM »
I like the idea of an all black Albatross with red markings for some kind of espionage support aircraft :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 11:25:38 AM »
Sticking with piston engines or going with turboprops, either P-3 style or two Darts sticking way forward?  Yeah, an all black one, particularly with an "odometer-style" registration number that can easily be changed, could make a great espionage support aircraft.

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 05:24:28 AM »
I like it! I remember being all excited when that popped up in the movie as it was so unexpected. Even more reason to love Christopher Nolan's take on the Caped Crusader.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline b29r

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 09:20:38 PM »
I like your plan for this old classic.  This is one that I never acquired for some reason, so will be looking forward to more on your next update.
Best regards,
Kem

Offline bluesman

• Magnum Creative Group
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 09:21:05 PM »
Thanks all.

As far as plans go, no retractable gear, it will be gear up in the water kinda like the screen cap. Nothing much to report, other than sanding down the rivets. And just when you think you have got them all, a few more show up.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 09:47:55 PM »
Like relatives after a lottery win! ;)

(So, I'm told - I have yet to be so fortunate. ::) )
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 10:02:08 PM »
To have relatives Mr Wombat ?  :D
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 10:51:12 PM »
To have relatives Mr Wombat ?  :D

;D

Something like that.

;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."