Author Topic: Scratch built 1/32 SS Wilton Castle  (Read 4000 times)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
Scratch built 1/32 SS Wilton Castle
« on: March 06, 2018, 03:05:22 AM »
Hi all well since my kit building seems to be getting very shabby i thought maybe going back to scratch building may get them back on track I had a choice of plans to pick from and I narrowed it down to 3 possible

I eliminated the St Louis Belle as I want a fairly quick build not a three yr jobbie also I eliminated the Kitty as it was a little too simple so I opted for the WC

Normally I like to build large scratch builds but due to space I'm reducing this by 50%
First problem is that the keel at the reduced size is very flimsy so I've changed the plan a bit to give some strength.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Scratch built 1/32 SS Wilton Castle
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 12:46:05 PM »
Personally, I think you're showing off! :P ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 03:45:40 AM »
Hi all I don't know if anyone has any better methods but this is how I did the rings for the paddle wheels on the Pamela 3

Keep the centre bit to help with centering the spokes

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 10:09:58 AM »
As a cheap one-off option that's a great idea! :smiley:

Found these on line if you intend to make a habit of it, though:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Handy-Adjustable-Metal-Circle-Hole-Saw_60220306998.html?spm=a2700.details.maylikehoz.5.32233fa9kMxCJn

http://www.beyondtools.com.au/product/adjustable-circle-cutter-by-star-m/?v=6cc98ba2045f

Don't know what the black pointy doohickey is, hopefully a sprung centre point so that you can cut circles without having to drill through the wood (or plastic ;) ).

(May have to get one, myself.)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 03:29:14 AM »
Hi all this is designed for electric motor rc but since I'm doing it as a display model I thought I would have a go at making an engine for it (Not a working one I hasten to add)
I decided to try and build this for it

Obviously it has to fit in the ship so I've just made it a gazillion times harder as I have to make it a lot smaller to fit in the ship. I thought I would try one of the simpler things to start with, this bit.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 04:30:54 AM »
Hi all well here is the bit

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 04:08:49 AM »
Painted the inside with pva glue to help stiffen it all up before adding filler.

Can anyone guess what this bit will become

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 05:27:58 AM »
PVA glue is wonderful stuff. I use it for attaching canopies because it dries clear and is good for other non-load bearing parts of a plastic model too.

Of course, on wood it's totally the way to go. Very impressive, that wood work that!

Brian da Basher

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 04:08:07 AM »
I made a start on the boiler for this.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 05:08:53 AM »
Hi all here's the next update done some more to the boiler

Loads more to do to this bit but quite pleased how it's going.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 04:19:06 AM »
Hi all well it's starting to look more like a ship, needs some more filling but definitely getting there.

Someone suggested an upright boiler and seeing as how there is no room for stoking the boiler with it in place.

I've decided to have a go at doing an upright boiler, I mean the chimney is not even on this boiler yet so if I added that there would be even less room.