Author Topic: Logan's Profiles - 8x8 Scimitar  (Read 367193 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Logan's Profiles - Vought V-507 Vagabond - VF-1 Wolfpack
« Reply #475 on: December 07, 2013, 03:24:16 AM »
Nice work as per usual :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #476 on: December 07, 2013, 04:56:27 AM »
Thanks, Greg.

Sorry, guys, when I posted this at 2:49 AM in the morning, I had the wrong link to the full size image, so you couldn't see the detail like the names under the cockpit, for example.  I've since fixed that link.

Next up?  Probably an He 100 of some form.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #477 on: December 07, 2013, 04:58:18 AM »
Probably an He 100 of some form.

I vote Israeli post war...

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #478 on: December 07, 2013, 05:21:00 AM »
Eventually, but that one won't be anytime soon.  Sticking with the DB 601 for the moment.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #479 on: December 07, 2013, 05:29:22 AM »
Eventually, but that one won't be anytime soon.  Sticking with the DB 601 for the moment.

Cheers,

Logan

No reason an Israeli one can't be DB601 powered... ;)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #480 on: December 07, 2013, 10:12:42 AM »
Eventually, perhaps, a Spanish-built, Merlin-powered example, or perhaps Griffon-powered.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #481 on: December 07, 2013, 10:14:09 AM »
Yeah, Talos and I definitely have ideas, but it takes time to do them.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Matt Wiser

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #482 on: December 07, 2013, 10:20:12 AM »
VF-1 Vagabond? Love it!
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect. But always have a plan ready to kill them.

Old USMC Adage.

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
« Reply #483 on: December 07, 2013, 10:35:37 AM »
Eventually, perhaps, a Spanish-built, Merlin-powered example, or perhaps Griffon-powered.

I already have the Buchon lineart finished and posted in my thread. We are holding off on doing the profile until we get to that period.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #484 on: December 07, 2013, 11:04:24 AM »
For some reason, I keep seeing an air-racing Buchon with a Griffon driving contra-props and an even more streamlined canopy.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #485 on: December 07, 2013, 11:21:30 AM »

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
« Reply #486 on: December 07, 2013, 11:35:36 AM »
Since I'm finally back home and posting on a real computer and not a phone, here are the two Merlin-powered He 100 Buchon drawings I did. The first one is the normal version we'll likely be doing, the second is a bubbletop I did for fun since I had already done the bubble canopy for a normal He 100. I just transferred it over to see how it would look.

Thumbnails, of course. Click for the full-sized ones.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #488 on: December 07, 2013, 09:08:30 PM »
Very good

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Logan's Profiles - Willi Fronhöfer's Heinkel He 100D-2
« Reply #489 on: December 10, 2013, 03:54:09 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone!  As always, click on the image below to see the picture at 100% or view it at my DeviantArt page.  I've also submitted this to the Clear Your Workbench GB.

Full backstory below:

On 31 August, JG 26 mounted various missions throughout the day and claimed 22 victories for the loss of five aircraft and pilots, the heaviest loss of pilots in a single day during the whole of the Battle of Britain. During a late afternoon mission the entire Geschwader took off to rendezvous with KG 76, which was to attack the RAF aerodrome at Hornchurch. As soon as the aircraft of Stab III./JG 26 crossed the coast, they were attacked by RAF fighters and Oblt. Wilhelm Fronhöfer of 9./JG 26 was one of three pilots shot down.  His aircraft, 'Yellow 10' was shot down by a Spitfire piloted by P/O C.F. Gray of RAF No. 54 Squadron. Fronhöfer made a force landing at Jubilee Hill Farm, Ulcombe, Sussex, England. He was uninjured. Fronhöfer had three kills to his credit at the time he was shot down. One known victory, his 1st, a Mureaux at Löwen on 15 May, 1940. His 2nd, a Spitfire I west of Dunkirk, 29 May, 1940. His 3rd, a Hurricane of RAF No. 141 Sq. at Folkestone on 15 August, 1940.

With an upper scheme of 70/71 Fronhöfer He 100D-2, WrNr 1184, was finished in the commonly seen III./JG 26 high demarcation camouflage style with no discernible mottling on the sides of the fuselage, fin or rudder. In keeping with the other aircraft of this Gruppe, the Balkenkreuz, Gruppe bar and aircraft number were smaller than usually seen. The 9. Staffel Hollenhund emblem and JG 26 'Schlageter' shield were carried on both sides of the fuselage beneath the cockpit. It is understood that the tip of the spinner was a lighter green than the remainder. The Werk Nummer on the fin is applied on a dark green rectangular background indicating that this aircraft was originally finished in a low-demarcation 70/71 camouflage scheme.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #490 on: December 10, 2013, 04:12:45 AM »
Subtle - I like! :D

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #491 on: December 10, 2013, 04:30:33 AM »
Nice story with a fine airplane-drawing! :)

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #492 on: December 10, 2013, 05:04:56 AM »
Thanks, guys!  The Bf 109 schemes are actually somewhat tough to translate to the He 100 since their shape are almost flipped.  The Bf 109 is basically a straight line at the top with the bottom curving up to meet it.  The He 100 is basically a straight line on the bottom with the top of the plane curving down to meet that line.  As a result, there's usually a significant visual difference between the same scheme on the two airplanes.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #493 on: December 10, 2013, 01:31:46 PM »
There, I think I've met all the poll options now, so I hope there's something there for everyone.  Will a moderator remove the poll from this thread, now?  I couldn't see a way that I could do it myself.  Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Logan's Profiles - RAF Handley Page Panther - Falklands 1982
« Reply #494 on: December 11, 2013, 03:25:31 PM »
This one should be familiar, but it was never truly finished.  This is a Handley Page Panther as a Black Buck bomber from 1982.  As always, click on the image below to see the picture at 100% or view it at my DeviantArt page.  I've also submitted this to the Clear Your Workbench GB.

The weather over the Falkland Islands on 3 June 1982 was poor, and the only offensive air action was an air strike by Panther B(I).4 XM267.  Flown by Flt Lt Steve Griggs and his No 14 Sqn crew, 'Black Buck 6' carried four Texas Instruments AGM-45A Shrike anti-radar missiles to use against the radars around Port Stanley that were directing air raids on the Task Force, targeting Exocet attacks, warning Argentine aircraft of Sea Harrier patrols and gun-laying for AAA batteries. Griggs approached the target from the northeast at low altitude, before popping up to 16,000 ft to begin his attack. But experience from previous 'Black Buck' raids had taught the Argentine radar operators what to expect from a bomber behaving in this way. 'As we got to about nine miles from Port Stanley', recalled Griggs, 'the radars started to switch off, and as we went past and out to sea again, they came on. We went round and round repeating that process for about 40 minutes. Then, on the final run before we had to go home, I decided to go into a descent towards Port Stanley airfield to tempt them into switching on the radars to have ago at us'. Griggs eased back the three throttles and XM267 started to descend. 'We got down to about 10,000 ft, heading towards Sapper Hill, and sure enough one of their radars came on. Then the guns started firing at us. I saw flashes in the sky as four shells burst below me and to the right'. Meanwhile, Navigator Flt Lt Alistair Inverarity locked on two Shrikes and launched them one after the other at the radar. As Griggs pulled the Panther up so as to avoid going too low, he saw an explosive flash light up the mist just above the ground. One of the missiles had impacted close to a Skyguard fire control radar, where it caused damage and killed four of the operating crew - an officer, a sergeant and two soldiers.

XM267 flew 'Black Bucks 5' and '6', firing Shrike anti-radar missiles carried on twin adapters against Argentine radar units. XM267 carried and fired two Shrikes during 'Black Buck 5', and carried four for 'Black Buck 6', firing two 'in anger'. The aircraft is seen here as it appeared post-war, with mission markings consisting of Argentine flags and missile silhouettes and a Brazilian flag, and carrying four Shrike missiles on the fuselage pylons. The Brazilian flag marked the aircraft's unscheduled visit to Rio de Janeiro after 'Black Buck 6', when its refueling probe tip broke as it attempted to refuel.

Obviously, this is a "what if" aircraft in the markings of a Black Buck Vulcan from the Falklands.  The text above is likewise modified from the actual incident.  Some of you may recognize the names Steve Griggs and Alistair Inverarity.  They were involved in another live fire incident from 1982.  That incident was not as auspicious as McDougall and Trevaskus', however.

The profile, when submitted the first time was actually about 85% done.  Talos and I finally got around to finishing it this time.  I'd been waiting for the IFR probe from him before, but life got in the way, so I just submitted it 'as is'.  Now, though, it has the probe as originally intended.  I also added some markings, gave it a full backstory, and fixed some of the image text.  I hope you all like this one a bit more!

Cheers,

Logan
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 12:44:34 AM by Logan Hartke »

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
Re: Logan's Profiles - RAF Handley Page Panther - Falklands 1982
« Reply #495 on: December 11, 2013, 06:07:03 PM »
As always a nice story and Talos and you did a great job!

regards
Lauhof

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Logan's Profiles - Romanian Heinkel He 100D-2
« Reply #496 on: December 13, 2013, 01:57:58 PM »
Thanks, Paul!  As always, click on the image below to see the picture at 100% or view it at my DeviantArt page.

In April of 1939, as a result of a European tour by Charles II, King of Romania, a wide range of modern military equipment, including aircraft, was acquired from France, the United Kingdom and, above all, Germany.  The Third Reich made every substantial effort to attract Romania, a country rich in oil and wheat, to its side by promising the preferred Messerschmitt Bf 109s for future delivery, and by offering twenty-four of the less advanced Heinkel He 112 in the interim.  The shapely Heinkel fighter was no mystery to the Aeronautica Regală Română (ARR, Royal Romanian Aeronautics) since a prototype had been extensively tested during late 1938 by pilots of the ARR's Escadrila de experiente (Experimental Squadron) based at Pipera-Bucharest airfield.

Unfortunately for Romania, the Heinkel He 100 had recently been selected by RLM for operational service and--as a result--the He 112 was no longer in production.  In a visit to the Heinkel plant, however, the Romanian delegation was allowed to test fly the Heinkel He 100 V8 prototype.  Understandably, they were smitten.  Unable to provide the promised He 112s, the RLM agreed to instead deliver the Bf 109s sooner.  Romania was no longer interested in the Bf 109, though, they only wanted the He 100.  This put Germany in a tough position.  The Heinkel He 100 was the fastest fighter in the world and the Luftwaffe didn't want to part with any of its newest fighters.  Despite the RLM's objections, the Reich Foreign Ministry pushed the sale of the He 100 through, in an effort to curry favor with the strategically important Romanians.  Aircraft originally intended for the Luftwaffe were diverted to meet the Romanian order.

A group of Romanian pilots soon arrived in Germany to begin their transition training on the new machine.  The Heinkel fighter represented a completely new aircraft type with unique handling techniques.  They were unprepared for flight in a high-speed, all metal monoplane, with retractable undercarriage and enclosed cockpit.  After completion of the training program at the Heinkel Flugzeugwerke, the first batch of Romanian pilots proudly boarded their new fighters returned home.  Immediately after their arrival, the Heinkels were promptly painted with Romanian Red-Yellow-Blue roundels and hasitly impressed into service.  In this way, the ARR high command attempted to upgrade the quality of Romania's fighter force, which left much to be desired.

A new fighter group was formed within the 1st Fighter Fleet, the front-line Romanian fighter force.  Grupul 5 vânătoare (5th Fighter Group), made up of Escadrila 51 and Escadrila 52 (51st and 52nd Squadrons), was re-equipped with the newly arrived He 100Ds.  The 5th Fighter Group's responsibility was the defense of the capital.  Using Nardi FN.305 monoplane trainers, the handful of assigned pilots began their transition from the old Polish-made PZL P.11 fighters to the new German aircraft.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #497 on: December 14, 2013, 03:15:28 AM »

And with sound ;):

DAAAMMMMMMMMMMMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 03:18:11 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #498 on: December 14, 2013, 04:34:24 PM »
 :) :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #499 on: December 15, 2013, 02:35:05 AM »
How about some captured He100s?  Say one in RAF captured markings and one in Soviet...