Author Topic: Brian da Basher's Racy Thing for the Racing Theme GB  (Read 4692 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Brian da Basher's Racy Thing for the Racing Theme GB
« on: August 09, 2017, 05:20:24 AM »

The quickening pace of automotive technology right after W.W. I was driven in part by racing. It seemed almost every manufacturer was involved in the sport, some more remembered than others. Utterly forgotten today is the Dodge Bros. early participation.

The end of the Great War caused some talented engineers from Germany to seek opportunity in the United States. One Count von Hohenspätz was notable for his radical approach to streamlining.

The Dodge Bros. could recognize talent and hired Count von Hohenspätz to turn their nascent post-war racing car into a winner.

The Dodge racer had been built at the beginning of 1920, using a surplus, wing-less Air Corps DH-4 as the starting point because of that powerful Liberty engine. The rear gunnery station was used to house a large gas tank as it was hoped this would improve range and make the car viable for rally racing.

Count von Hohenspätz could do little about the front of the car where the Liberty lived nor much else with the rest of the frame due to the Dodge Bros.' frugal nature, but the Count could give this racer the fastest wheels ever seen.

The Dodge Bros. both unfortunately died before they could see their radical new car take part in the 1921 racing season. As things ended out, perhaps that was all for the best.

The Dodge-Hohenspätz 4 or DH-4 seemed to be just about coming into her own and ended up among the leaders in its first three races. However, that would change dramatically at the 1921 Coraopolis 200.

The DH-4 was struck from behind and its large gas tank was punctured. Sparks caused by the impact made the car burst into flames, preceeding the Ford Pinto by a good 50 years.

With no more financial backing from the Dodge Bros. or race sponsors and the DH-4 now a pile of ashes and burnt, unrecognizable metal, Count von Hohenspätz became ill from it all and died six months later, never knowing the impact he would have on spat history. The Count was dumbstruck by events and often wondered if other influences were at play.

Interestingly, authorities never ruled out alcohol as a potential contributing factor, but perhaps we'll never know the answer with any certainty.

Little survived of the DH-4 and there is scant documentary evidence besides a few technical drawings and an article in the Coraopolis Courier from the eve of the race.

Today, many experts in the field of racing history discount the DH-4 as the product of a fired-up imagination and think it never existed in the first place.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 05:29:56 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Brian da Basher's Racy Thing for the Racing Theme GB
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 06:01:59 AM »
This all began with a bagged 1/48 AMT DH-4 that showed up in a care package a while back (thanks a million, hamsterman!). Soon I realized the spats from a 1/72 Amiot 143 would work as wheels if I wanted to turn it into a car. Hmmm those DH-4 wings & tail feathers will be nice to have in the spares box, too. So here's the starting line up.

Right off the bat, I knew I'd have to fill that huge 'pit. No way around it, so I started building it.

I scratched the fire wall from card and the pedals from bits of sprue. I found a spare wheel from a Bleriot to use for the steering wheel.

I also made a little gear shift out of spare parts.

The U.S. penny gives you an idea how tiny some of this is.

I had to be careful assembling all this because I needed to make sure I had enough clearance for the instrument panel.

Here's how it looked painted before I closed it all up.

This is a case of doing too much since the pedals can't be seen at all.

Oh well, at least I know they're there.

And a little model bondage so it all sets right.

At this point, I still hadn't figured out how to attach the rear wheels. Then I got lucky and stumbled across just the right part in the spares box.

I have no idea what it is, best guess is part of a swing-wing mechanism, but it sure did the trick.

Here's how it all looked buttoned up and built, but before paint.

It was at this point I realized something was missing, so I fabricated rear-view mirrors out of orphan bomb halves and P-36 wheel hubs.

Here's how it all looked with paint.

The old hairy stick was used along with a lot of Model Masters acrylics, Medium Gray and Semi-Gloss Black mostly.

I'm not certain where the windshield came from. I think it was the armored windscreen for a 1/48 Henschel 129.

I've been working on this model for the last month or so. Right after I took those pictures with the paint on, I dropped it and had to rebuild the rear axles which fought me like the deuce.

Ah well all's well that ends well and I'm just glad I was able to get this one finished in time.

Here's a couple more shots of that 'pit. Still can't see the pedals but the rest is visible.

The decals were all from spares, the large #23s from a venerable Viscount and the Ethyl ones from a sheet probably for a 1/48 scale racing plane. The Goodyear logos came on a sheet Mr GTX sent me a while back.

I'd like to thank Bill for sending me both the DH-4 and the Amiot that sacrificed its spats and Jon for moderating this GB.

It's not known if alcohol played a contributing factor in this entry, but it can't be ruled out.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 06:16:19 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 06:04:24 AM »
As always Brian, a most excellent model supported by an endearing and very funny backstory. Well done that man and so much spatty goodness!  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 06:07:30 AM by Claymore »
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 08:28:32 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 10:05:15 AM »
So thatz how the story goes. :icon_surprised:
Fine bash of DH-4 kit into racer that once was. Bet it highly resembles the real thing !

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 11:24:03 AM »
So beautiful and imaginative  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 04:50:46 PM »
Great model Brian,I like  :smiley: !!!
Alex

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 06:18:11 PM »
Great creation Brian! I love it a lot...

Antonio

;)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 05:02:34 AM »
Wow!! You should have worked for De Havilland Brian!  :smiley:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 05:24:38 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 07:43:34 AM »
Good transformation! :-* (uneasy to recognize the source at first view, thanks to the explanation text!)

Offline TimJ

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 04:50:35 PM »
Great model and backstory.  :smiley:

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 08:56:27 PM »
Very cool! Really like this design.  :smiley:
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 05:08:41 AM »
That is too cool! And the Amiot spats are the bee's knees  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 07:10:50 AM »
Hi Brian,  you often come up with some great creations but this one is exceptional, Great back story too !

Nice one !

Regards

Mog
Mostly Harmless...............