Author Topic: 1/35 Prospector  (Read 70 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/35 Prospector
« on: Today at 10:54:37 AM »
I recently got the Master Box 1/35 The Wild West. Gold Fever Series Kit No 1 Gold-digger and was compelled to build it.

I also renamed it to "Prospector", because while he may be a gold digger, that means something else in modern parlance.

MasterBox figures vary widely in quality, with no real rhyme or reason. Some of the shortcomings have been poor detailing and a deviation from scale - some figures are as tall as 1/32 figures would be.

Luckily, this grizzled prospector is pretty good. Face details are adequate and so is the detailing. The donkey is nicely molded. The general pose and outfit could place the prospector anywhere from the 1800s to some futuristic post apocalyptic period.

I'm trying to improve my figure painting and I've made small gradual improvements, so this figure has been good practice.

The lacing on his boots was poorly molded and barely visible. I found a Trumpeter figure (which are almost all trash) with extremely prominent boot lacing, so I cut them off and transplanted them to this figure:

I detailed his open eye - even has a correctly scaled pupil - but the telescope blocks it completely:

I also have the beast and rifle from the Master Box 1/24 "World of Fantasy No. 2" kit:

I did some surgery on the rifle/weapon to roughly match the length of the Prospector's rifle. I also moved the trigger closer to the buttstock:

I used some glow in the dark powders mixed in with red and smoke clear Tamiya acrylics.

Here's the other side of the rifle:

I'm debating whether to fix some of the painting issues with the figure or move on to the donkey.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:15:32 AM by Frank3k »