Author Topic: Russian/Soviet 4X4 Armored Vehicles (BTR-40, BRDM, BPM, GAZ-3937, etc.)  (Read 5031 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Also any follow on to the BRDM-1 and BRDM-2 family of vehicles. 

Wikipedia - BTR-40 page

Wikipedia - BRDM-1 page

Wikipedia - BRDM-2 page

Wikipedia - BPM-97 page

Wikipedia - GAZ-3937 "Vodnik"

Thumbnail images courtesy of Wikipedia.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 05:29:26 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Re: Russian/Soviet 4X4 Armored Vehicles (BTR-40, BRDM, BPM, GAZ-3937, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 04:58:54 AM »
First thing is always to put a Western-bloc weapon on 'em.  ;D
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 05:06:29 AM »
Recently I have been focused on watching some YouTube videos about a combat simulation game called DayZ that is a mod of the Arma 2 series of combat simulation video games.  I was considering downloading the game to my computer but it turns out that I have the bare minimum requirements for the video driver and sound cards so until I upgrade that will have to wait. 

DayZ focuses on the zombie apocalypse in a small central European country that was part of the former Soviet Union and now an independent nation.  In the game there are a variety of vehicles available and one of these is a BRDM-2 armed with the tube launched anti-tank missile that could be the AT-4 Spigot or the AT-5 Spandrel ATGM since it is not specified in the game where I could see it.  Anyway, that got me to thinking about the zombie problem and using missiles against zombies might be a bit of over-kill.  The standard BRDM-2 with the 14.5mm/7.62mm gun turret would be better but with a turret that has no upper hatch you are stuck under armor unless you dismount the vehicle or go to another hatch on the vehicle to peer out of.  So how about a BRDM-2 with some modifications?  In this case, an open top cupola would be ideal to give you a 360° field of view.  Sourcing such parts would be simple enough and you could use the gunners cupola from the HMMWV or something heavier like the cupola from the M113.  Armed with a machine gun and some shields to give you some protection from the hostile players that are not zombies and it would certainly be an improvement over the standard turrets offered on this vehicle. 

Anyway, something to think about for a future project. 

First thing is always to put a Western-bloc weapon on 'em.  ;D

Some times that works and some times it does not.  Depending on the weapon it could be a benefit or a detriment to the vehicle.  Armed with any machine gun up to the 14.5mm the BRDM-2 is a nifty looking little vehicle.  The turret certainly needs some improvement.  Maybe the 40mm/.50" UGWS could work on the BRDM-2?  That would give it a very unique look and a viable weapons system to boot. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 05:10:15 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 07:25:04 AM »
Chain-gun, baby.

;D

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 07:42:32 AM »
Thanks Jon, I was hoping you would step in and share that with us again.  The Donk BRDM2 would look right at home in almost any urban setting.  Just hope the DHS folks do not get any ideas based on this ;)