Author Topic: SturmTiger  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
SturmTiger
« on: July 15, 2012, 03:15:39 AM »
The Sturmmörserwagen 606/4 mit 38 cm RW 61 or SturmTiger.  A rather intimidating vehicle with a less than spectacular performance on the battlefield.  Far too heavy and certainly not the best performer in range or fuel economy either. 

Click on html or thumbnail image to view Wiki entry for this vehicle. 

(Image source: U.S. Army via Wikipedia)

I must confess to a rather peculiar fondness for odd vehicles and the 38 cm rocket launcher/mortar is one of those things that caught my eye.  While I am no big fan of all things WW2 and German the SturmTiger is one of those exceptions.  I recently donated my Tamiya SturmTiger kit along with a double set of Tamiya aluminum rocket projectiles to The Zod (aka Chad L.) so that he could pursue a project involving the Pz.Kpfw E-100 (Gerät 383/TG-01) or the Pz.Kpfw VIII Maus heavy tanks and fitting the  38 cm rocket launcher/mortar parts in place of the large caliber cannons that armed these vehicles.  In both cases the large rotating turret would provide some additional flexibility for the 38 cm rocket launcher/mortar with the turret being able to traverse through 360° with the elevation and depression limits remaining with the same limitations. 

One of my original ideas for a modern version of the 38 cm rocket launcher/mortar weapon system was to consider installing it in the turret of the Revell of Germany PzH 2000 kit but I soon realized that there would be a lot more to just slapping on the rocket launcher/mortar parts and calling it done.  Add to that the desire to make something that looked like it might work left me with no choice but to abandon the idea before cutting plastic.  I had also given some thought to using the SturmTiger parts on the Revell (old Renwal) M55 8.0" Self-Propelled Gun/Howitzer.  That gave way to another project involving a different weapon which was about the same time that I sent the SturmTiger kit to Chad in order to unclutter my thoughts.  While the kit is no longer in my possession I continue to scheme with ideas on creating a what-if artillery weapon armed with that 38 cm monster rocket launcher/mortar thing.  Which is why I decided to share the idea here. 

This latest foray into crazy involves the Panzerjäger Tiger (P), Sd. Kfz. 184 - "Elefant" which looks like an easy to make what-if if you just add on the 38 cm rocket launcher parts.  You could keep the existing fighting compartment as it is with the large circular access hatch at the rear and mount the loading hoist on the roof or next to the hatch to assist in loading those very large/heavy 38 cm rocket projectiles.   Looks to be simple enough to convert and you would end up with the Porsche version of the SturmTiger which would surely confound and confuse some and irritate others. 

Click on html or thumbnail image to view Wiki entry for this vehicle. 

(Image source: Scott Dunham via Wikipedia)

So thanks for putting up with my brand of crazy. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 03:17:12 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: SturmTiger
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 04:47:47 AM »
I like the SturmElefant idea.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 07:17:33 AM »
Great idea Jeffry. That would be great for a Stalingrad battle.
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 01:32:04 PM »
Porsche version of the SturmTiger.

That's exactly what I'm planning for the motar bits left over from my build here ...
SturmJager-1 ...http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=1828.0

Not sure when I'll get it advanced but I have the cut-up Elephant kit have played a bit with fitting the mortar ball-mount :)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 01:27:14 PM »
Suggestions ? ....... for my Sturm-Elephant I've reversed the superstructure so that the roof slopes back like the Hummel & "Cricket" and mounted the mortar where the large circular hatch was.  The Tamiya SturmTiger provided a partial interior, so should I cut out the rear plate & part of the roof for easier resupply of the rockets and to show off this interior ... or leave it all closed up ???

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
Looks like a good start.  Are you going to arm this thing with the 380mm rocket launcher or something else?
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 09:24:55 AM »
I saw this beast on Track Link.

http://www.track-link.com/gallery/8738
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.