Author Topic: Erryplanes by perttime  (Read 73631 times)

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
Re: Erryplanes by perttime
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2014, 01:33:09 AM »
It might take some time. I'm slow. Today, I was thinking that I might do a Zwilling after all, just because I have not made one before. I have my pictures in a format that lets me do that kind of things easily.

Do you have any suggestions for nationality and a good registration code?

Offline tsrjoe

• Has been volunteered... for something...
« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2014, 01:48:42 AM »
Cool artwork, hmm, for a 'zwilling' how bout a Valtion operated example being used to test airfoil sections on the centre joining wing with black paint and wool tufts, scheme could be similar with possibly a more formal registration style, how about OH-VLT ?

Cheers, joe

Offline perttime

« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2014, 03:17:14 AM »
I was thinking that the Zwilling might not be Finnish, but haven't decided yet.
For Finnish gliders the registration system requires numbers. I just realised that I didn't get the number quite right: a homebuilt glider or motorised glider should have 3 or 4 numbers and "X". Like: OH-1234X

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2014, 05:10:56 PM »
Maybe do it as Czech or Russian...after all they did have the twin-Blanik:

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 05:12:41 PM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline tsrjoe

• Has been volunteered... for something...
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2014, 08:15:31 PM »
id forgotten the 'twin Blanik' Greg, cool, a cheap and accessible research aircraft indeed, the centre being ideal for eg. universities to play around with wing sections etc. :)

re. Finnish glider registrations, id forgotten the current examples all sport a numerical prefix as you mentioned, i'm not sure when the changeover happened (sometime in the 1960's I think as prior examples carried registrations similar to normal aircraft?)

iv just been looking at my 'big boys book of Finnish registrations (aka. The Complete Civil Aircraft registers of Finland since 1926 by Eino Ritaranta & Tuomo Makinen) it seems all post war gliders in Finland were also allocated a 'P-' number in sequential form which became the number as later seen on the gliders themselves, eg. P-1 (aka. H-1) in 1947 being allocated to a Harakka 1, with DFS. Weihe, P-133 (aka. OH-WAB becoming OH-133) through to P-852 (aka. OH-852) a Janus CT

yip a true nerd, lol, cheers, Joe  8)

Offline perttime

« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2014, 01:20:31 AM »
DFS Stummel-Habicht replica - after overhaul

The DFS Habicht (German: "Hawk") was designed in 1936 by Hans Jacobs as an unlimited aerobatic sailplane, with support provided by the Deutsche-Forschungsanstalt für Segelflug. Four planes were made available for the Olympic Games of 1936, where the evolutions of the Habicht over and literally inside the Olympic stadium enthralled spectators.

Modified versions of the Habicht, dubbed the Stummel-Habicht ("Stumpy Hawk") were used to train pilots to land the Messerschmitt Me 163 rocket-powered fighter. The Me 163 was designed to use its entire load of fuel to reach combat altitude and then return to the ground as a glider. The landing speed of around 200 km/h (125 mph) posed a special challenge for pilots. Trainees therefore began on a Stummel-Habicht on which the original Habicht's 13.6-metre (44 ft 7 in) gull wings had been replaced with straight wings of 8-metre (26 ft 3 in) span, and then progressed to another version with a 6-metre (19 ft 8 in) span.

After a long research to recover the design documentation, Josef Kurz and other members of the Oldtimer Segelflugclub Wasserkuppe built an all-new Habicht. And a few more German replicas followed.

Between 2001 and 2007, another replica was built in Finland - but this one also got a pair of 8 meter Stummel-Habicht wings. During a 2012 overhaul, its landing gear was changed from a full length skid to a single wheel behind a short skid. This significantly simplified ground handling and reduced crew workload, as there was no more need to fetch the jettisoned take-off  wheels, and put the airplane back on wheels after landing.

Offline perttime

« Reply #131 on: December 24, 2014, 07:10:50 PM »

S. Claus preparing for take-off near Korvatunturi.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 02:28:20 AM by perttime »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #132 on: December 25, 2014, 02:52:41 AM »
 :)

Offline perttime

« Reply #133 on: August 29, 2015, 10:53:22 PM »
Macchi M.49 fighter in Finnish service

Macchi M.49 was a monoplane fighter, designed and built by the Italian aircraft company Macchi Aeronautica in 1927–30. Its design was based on the Macchi M.39T racing landplane. It used the 600-horsepower version of the Fiat AS.2 engine, and a conventional radiator was used instead of the raceplane's more vulnerable surface cooling system. Armament consisted of two fixed forward-firing 7.7 mm (0.303 in) machine guns. To improve visibility, the fairing in front of the cockpit was made lower than on the racers.

The Finnish Aviation Force had acquired 20 Gourdou-Leseurre GL-21 fighters in 1923.  A domestic successor, IVL D.26 "Haukka", was in the works but it would not be put into production without a comparison to other types. In November 1926, a Gloster Gamecock was ordered from Great Britain. As news of the new Macchi landplane fighter were heard, enquiries were also sent to Italy.

Test flights were carried out from May to July 1927. The Macchi monoplane was superior to the biplane contenders in speed and climb rate, visibility from the cockpit was good, and weaponry was up to current standards. The Macchi's range was shorter than what the biplanes could offer but was deemed adequate for a defensive aircraft. Three complete aircraft and a licence to build further 15 were bought. The 15 licence built aircraft were completed at Valtion lentokonetehdas between December 1929 and May 1930.

Finnish Macchi M.49 fighters were operated by the Maalentoeskaaderi (Landplane Squadron), later No. 24 Squadron, from 1930 to early 1939 when the type was relegated to training duties. That period with No. 24 Squadron was essential for honing Finnish fighter tactics under the leadership of Richard Lorenz, Gustaf Magnusson and Kustaa Sihvo.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 02:19:39 AM by perttime »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #134 on: August 30, 2015, 05:15:59 AM »
 :)

Offline perttime

« Reply #135 on: December 25, 2015, 03:20:28 AM »

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2015, 03:25:22 AM »
Thanks for these beautiful greetings... :)

Offline perttime

« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2016, 05:07:30 AM »
Macchi M.39T OH-AAB, as flown by Finnish Air Force officer and athlete Väinö Bremer, at the Copenhagen - Lund - Helsingborg - Copenhagen Air Race in July 1928. The contest route was half over Denmark and half over Sweden. Foggy weather over Helsingborg made navigation difficult, and Bremer missed the turning point, losing enough time to leave him in third place.

Bremer had purchased the aircraft from Italy shortly after Major de Bernardi won the 1926 Gordon Bennett Trophy with an almost identical Macchi racer.

For more details on de Bernardi's Macchi, see: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=2970.msg52990#msg52990

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #138 on: August 14, 2016, 12:37:29 PM »
Good profile! Is this race coming from History books or from your imagination? (both ways would be nice)...

Offline perttime

« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2016, 04:53:09 PM »
The 1928 race came from my imagination - or at least I don't know if such a race ever existed in real life. I just decided to see if there was a suitable area near Copenhagen, and found the triangle of nearby cities, across the straits.

edit:
I forgot to mention that the Macchi color scheme is inspired by the Junkers A 50 Junior that Väinö Bremer used for his Helsinki - Cape Town - Helsinki flight, and his partial round the world flight.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 10:31:44 PM by perttime »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2016, 04:03:49 AM »
The 1928 race came from my imagination - or at least I don't know if such a race ever existed in real life. I just decided to see if there was a suitable area near Copenhagen, and found the triangle of nearby cities, across the straits.

Great concept! And there's plenty more potential 1920s-1930s fodder (hint, hint)  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline perttime

« Reply #141 on: December 24, 2016, 07:21:28 PM »

Offline perttime

« Reply #142 on: December 24, 2019, 07:14:36 PM »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #143 on: December 24, 2019, 09:36:33 PM »
 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline perttime

Re: Erryplanes by perttime - R/C
« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2020, 09:49:08 PM »
I've been recalibrating my thumbs for flying radio controlled models.
Procedure so far:

1) dig the old molded styrofoam GWS Spitfire "kit" out of the store room, and put it together with my old electric motor, speed controller, battery, receiver and servos.
2) fly it successfully: hand launch, belly landing on grass
3) break the nose off when flying in a little wind
4) glue the nose back on
5) fly again on a calm day

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2020, 11:18:10 AM »

(6) Crash-land again,
(7) Glue nose back on again,
(8 ) repeat

Why? Because it sounds like a hoot! Have a great time  :D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 09:35:15 AM by apophenia »
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline perttime

« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2020, 01:27:21 PM »
Quite likely....
Now I'm waiting for better weather to improve the odds of not breaking it too often.