Author Topic: Circus Car  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Timcat

• Not obsessed with creating perfect miniatures...
Circus Car
« on: March 04, 2015, 08:16:53 AM »
I have almost completed my circus car model.  I imagine this car as purchased 'used' by a circus.  It was modified a little and used for parades and advertising. 
I started building on Dec.15, 2015 with an old 1/16 Entex 1910 Thomas Flyer kit.  My brother gave it to me since he was not going to build it.   I still need to add fenders, add lights, install wheels and add a few other items.  I may add working lights.
Entex kits are rather difficult due to poor fit and very few locator pins.  The header pipe and tailpipe are split with no locator pins.  I assembled both using a little liquid cement.  Then I squeezed some more liquid cement in the ends of the each pipe.  A week later I tried to install them in the muffler.  When I did the pipes lost their hardness and drooped rather comically.  Oops!  Guess I used a little too much glue!  So I scratchbuilt exhaust pipes out of 3/16in plastic rod and a soda straw.  The new tailpipe is a little longer than the original.
The kit also has 12 tiny valve springs made from extremely thin wire.  At first some appeared to be missing.  But when I examined them closely I found some of the springs had twisted themselves together.  They appeared to be 1 spring but were really 2 or 3 springs melded together.  Question: How did they do that?   When I tried to separate them some distorted so much they were unusable.  So I scratchbuilt springs out of slightly thicker wire.
My additions:
1. Framework made from wood strips.
2. Windshield made green translucent plastic sheet.
3. Windshield frame made from Plastruct strips.
4. Computer generated paper signs
5. More to come

Offline Timcat

Circus Car-more pics
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 08:21:21 AM »
Here are 4 more pics.  Its rather colorful!  Especially the seats.  I used spray cans, paintbrushes and an airbrush.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Circus Car
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 02:32:27 AM »
Nice work.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Circus Car
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 12:42:18 AM »
That's definitely one of the most colorful, cheerful models I've seen in a while!

Nice work, Timcat!

Brian da Basher

Offline Timcat

Circus Car-Finished!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 09:37:32 PM »
Brian & GTX, Thanks for the compliments.
I have finished the Circus car.  The CC now has working electric lights.  The lights are modified $ store reading lights.  The lights are small, cheap and self-contained.  Unfortunately one of them is already getting weak.  The other light parts are leftovers from the Mercer Raceabout kit.
An interesting thing about this build is that when I started I had no idea it would end up looking like this.  I just knew I wanted to make it as colorful as possible.  The lynx is a Toob figure.

Offline Timcat

More Circus Car pictures
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 09:39:54 PM »
More Circus Car pictures.
Enjoy!