Author Topic: Thiel's Pixel Mutilations  (Read 35123 times)

Thiel

Re: Thiel's Pixel Mutilations
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 04:31:46 PM »
Okay so it's not the USS Newport. I got distracted and drew this instead. It happens alot.

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 07:15:21 PM »
Very good!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 01:04:15 PM »
Nice open space there for helicopters, Harriers, and V-22s to land on.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 01:48:59 PM »
Me thought same as elmayerle.

Thiel

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 05:58:43 AM »
I'll admit that the thought of landing a Harrier there, let alone a helicopter on the cargo deck hadn't crossed my mind.
In fact I don't think it would have crossed Ian "Soapy" Watson's mind either.

Thiel

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 07:38:54 PM »
Time for some proper wifs.

Reconnaissance drones based on the Meggit BTT-3 Banshee 500 target drone.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 07:01:07 AM »
Reconnaissance drones based on the Meggit BTT-3 Banshee 500 target drone.

Cool. And much better-looking than the RealWorld Crécerelle and Sperwer UAVs  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Thiel

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2012, 10:51:18 PM »
Cool. And much better-looking than the RealWorld Crécerelle and Sperwer UAVs  :)
Thanks.

Well, since the original file seems to have gotten lost, here's and updated version.

FRD: Photo Reconnaissance Drone
TRD: Tactical Reconnaissance Drone
TD: Training Drone
MD: Target Drone:

Otto the Owl: Unofficial modification. One down-checked drone converted for use by the Armed Forces Press Corps
FRD1: First real recon drone. Fitted with three cameras. Optionally, one can be replaced by a low-light or IR camera
FRD2: Upgraded cameras. One combined optical/IR camera.
TRD1: Enlarged fuselage and wings, full day and night capability, tactical datalink allows direct access to the imagery by the troops on the ground.
TRD2: Enhanced engine and prop allows for greater time on station. Target illumination laser incorporated into the sensor head.
TD1: Training Drone. Converted FRD1. Used for initial training and display flights (Hence the paintjob)
MD1: Basic target drone.
MD2: Onboard laser receiver allows for virtual training. Can also be used as a target tug.

And its completely imaginary big brother the Super Banshee

TRD3: New design, faster, higher endurance, higher service ceiling (Great for poking around Afghan mountains) more capable sensors and targeting systems and a basic self defence suite.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:13:31 PM by Thiel »

Thiel

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2012, 12:34:02 AM »

Heinkel He 219 in Danish post-war Hi-Wiz markings.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2012, 04:17:04 AM »
I like your thinking!!!  :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Thiel

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2012, 05:44:54 AM »
Thanks.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2012, 05:56:42 AM »
Very cool idea. Any idea if RW Luftwaffe He 219s operated from any Danish airfields? Nice backstory if a few Uhu were abandoned on the field at Aarhus in May 1945.

Thiel

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2012, 06:25:20 AM »
Very cool idea. Any idea if RW Luftwaffe He 219s operated from any Danish airfields? Nice backstory if a few Uhu were abandoned on the field at Aarhus in May 1945.
Well, the three He 219s that the USAAF brought home as part of Operation Lusty belonged to Nachtjagdgeschwader 1 which was stationed at Grove (Now Karup) airbase.
My idea is that while the USAAC Intelligence was busy there, a similar Danish team, albeit much smaller in size and scope, was busy hiding three other machines that had landed at other airfields around the country.
Then, once the Americans had left, they brought them out and used them to train night fighter pilots for a couple of years until they received new night fighters from Britain in 1952.

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2012, 07:40:27 PM »
The Danish He-219s are a great idea!!!

Thiel

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2012, 09:01:31 PM »
Thanks.

in 1948 they were repainted in a proper night fighter scheme.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2012, 06:17:37 AM »
A very plausible backstory then. And the 1948 scheme is gorgeous Thiel!

I've read that the destruction of abandoned ex-Luftwaffe aircraft (and other German weaponry) in Denmark was actually order by the British military (in accordance with the terms of the Yalta Conference).

Obviously in your AltHist, Denmark strikes a more independent pose. Will the Hærens Flyvertropper take on other ex-Luftwaffe types?

Thiel

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2012, 02:38:12 PM »
A very plausible backstory then. And the 1948 scheme is gorgeous Thiel!
Thanks.
I've read that the destruction of abandoned ex-Luftwaffe aircraft (and other German weaponry) in Denmark was actually order by the British military (in accordance with the terms of the Yalta Conference).
That was indeed the case, but the key point here is that the equipment was either abandoned or surrendered to British troops. The Yalta conference didn't apply to war booty. In this AltHist the Danish government managed to escape and formed a government in exile. During the closing days of the war a large number of agents were inserted into Denmark along with the paperwork and uniforms required to "legalize" the resistance fighters. These scratch units would then assault key military installations just before the armistice came into effect. That made any equipment seized legal spoils of war and thus exempt from British jurisdiction.

Obviously in your AltHist, Denmark strikes a more independent pose. Will the Hærens Flyvertropper take on other ex-Luftwaffe types?
That's the plan, though they'll mostly be replaced by Allied equipment within a few years. The equipment will primarily be used to tide the armed forces over until a successor to the lend lease agreements can be arranged.
Also, the Uhus were operated by the Navy, not the Army. They were transferred to the newly established Air Force in 1951.

And speaking of equipment, here's the Rutan Long-EZ in Post-War Hi-Wiz scheme.

Three units was acquired in 1981 for evaluation as a familiarization trainer for the Saab Viggen after a number of very close calls during training. It was fitted with an uprated engine, a light weight bang seat and beefed up landing gear. In order to accommodate all that the rear seat was removed and replaced with an auxiliary fuel tank. Unfortunately, while it produced an excellent aircraft, it was a failure at its intended role.

The aircraft was put in storage for a couple of years until 1987 when the air force started looking for a new FAC plane. On paper it seemed like an excellent idea since the AC had long endurance, the bobble canopy provided excellent all-round visibility and it had plenty of weight reserves to carry the required equipment. Unfortunately it proved to be too much of a handful to fly to be effective and the plan was scrapped.

The aircarft then spent another year in storage until it was decided to revive the air force's demonstration team. With its outlandish looks, high manoeuvrability and ability to carry a smoke generator under each wing it proved excellent at the job and since it had a bang seat and a much higher power-to-weight ratio than the other trainers the pilots were allowed to pull far more dramatic stunts.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 05:09:51 PM by Thiel »

Offline apophenia

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2012, 11:01:19 AM »
Very interesting ... thanks for the details. Thanks too for the Uhu operator corrections. I was wondering about those swallow-tailed flag  ;)

The FAC Long-EZ could also act as surrogates for Israeli Aeronautics A-701 Dominator UAV. Then no need for a Danish Sperwer  :P

http://stargazer2006.online.fr/derivatives/dominator.htm

Thiel

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2012, 06:57:30 PM »
Very interesting ... thanks for the details. Thanks too for the Uhu operator corrections. I was wondering about those swallow-tailed flag  ;)

All three branches uses the split tailed Dannebrog as fin-flash, but the navy uses a slightly darker colour.

The FAC Long-EZ could also act as surrogates for Israeli Aeronautics A-701 Dominator UAV. Then no need for a Danish Sperwer  :P

http://stargazer2006.online.fr/derivatives/dominator.htm

Well, not quite. The FRD1 entered service in 1991, some 14 years before the A-701.
The TRD3 is the more attractive solution since it shares a lot parts with the TRD2 and it's partially constructed in Denmark.

Thiel

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2012, 09:59:36 AM »

A reskin of the Hawker Hunter.
Unlike the previous drawings I didn't draw the aircraft itself, I just redid the camo scheme.
Anyway, they were operated by both the Army and the Navy. This one is in Army colours.

Thiel

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2012, 08:23:52 PM »
Moving on, here's the BAe P.1233-1 Saba

I'll get around to giving her a proper paintjob at some point.

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2012, 10:33:50 PM »
Very interesting: keep it up

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2012, 12:30:45 AM »
I wouldn't call any of your work pixel mutilations, but pixel gems of the highest order!

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2012, 08:47:14 AM »
Moving on, here's the BAe P.1233-1 Saba

SABA was a great project/should-have-been. Looking forward to seeing paintwork!

Thiel

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2012, 10:44:50 PM »
I wouldn't call any of your work pixel mutilations, but pixel gems of the highest order!

Brian da Basher
Thanks. That means a lot.
SABA was a great project/should-have-been. Looking forward to seeing paintwork!
I'll get on it soonest.