Author Topic: 1/48 Focke-Wulf Ta 152 A-1/U1 (Hobby Boss Ta 152C-11)  (Read 2780 times)

Offline Klaus Wachsmuth

• First "redskin" of WHIF!
1/48 Focke-Wulf Ta 152 A-1/U1 (Hobby Boss Ta 152C-11)
« on: August 19, 2014, 11:03:51 AM »
The original Focke-Wulf Ta 152 A concept was for the Normaljäger (day fighter) role, boasting four 20mm MG 151s and an engine-mounted 30mm cannon, either the MK 108 (A-1) or MK 103 (A-2). At its core, the Anton was little more than a heavily modified Fw 190 D, the fuselage kept largely intact except for a noticeably lengthened and revised airframe. The overall design of the Anton also allowed it to accept either the Junkers Jumo 213 C or the Daimler-Benz DB 603 G as its power plant. The Anton introduced a flame damper installation, which completely covered the exhaust stacks and was to prevent the pilot from being blinded by the exhaust flames during nighttime use, and an extended supercharger intake pipe which began just behind the cowl flaps. Prototype testing proved the Ta 152 A was greatly superior to the Fw 190 A, but despite its success and readiness for production, the RLM inexplicably cancelled the Anton.

Flame damper and extended supercharger intake.

For my What-If take on the Anton, I created the Focke-Wulf Ta 152 A-1/U1, eliminating the flame damper and adopting a normal supercharger intake. Fortunately, Hobby Boss erred in three areas that actually help out in this conversion, the least obvious of which is the exhaust stacks: they are not those of the DB 603 series, but of the Jumo 213. The DB 603 LA radiator is an annular design around the cowl ring, whereas the cowling face in this kit is patterned after the Fw 190 D-9's solid radiator face inside the cowling front. Lastly, it also boasts the cowl flaps of the Fw 190 D, which were uniform in size and shape. The cowl flaps on the Ta 152 Cäsar and Heinrich were dissimilar in that every other flap was smaller and shaped like a trapezoid with the alternate cowl flaps shaped like rectangles.

The cowls and supercharger humps for the Ta 152 C-0 and Ta 152 C-1 respectively. Notice the difference in hump sizes.

Taking the Ta 152 C-0 option, I removed the supercharger hump completely. Here it is compared to a stock piece.

Temporary mockup to see how it will look. Notice the absence of the supercharger intake.

The supercharger intake fitted temporarily to the starboard side.

The MG 151/20s already installed, using only the base parts. Unless the panels over the breech and ammo bin are open, no need to add the accessories.

And now onto the cockpit, still in progress at the moment.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:56:03 AM by Klaus Wachsmuth »

Coyote Wolf Clan, Mohawk Nation, Keeper of the Eastern Door

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: 1/48 Tank Fw 152 A-3 (Hobby Boss Ta 152C-11)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 04:19:39 PM »
Interesting.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline stevegallacci

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: 1/48 Focke-Wulf Ta 152 A-3 (Hobby Boss Ta 152C-11)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 04:12:32 AM »
Building the '152A in something closer to its original form does make it easier, like using the '109D radiator, and who knows, something more like the more streamlined blower intake instead of the shorter style used on the later Jumo-powered machines. I built a '152B in 1/32, using a much corrected PMC '152H fuselage with heavily modified '190 wings to the '152 short style. It is basically a heavy armed (6x20mm+motorcannon) short wing machine with typical '152H style front end.
A little bit on the type history, the '152 fuselages were basically the same as the '109D, except for the type of tail and the wing and motor mounts altered, and both were based on stock '109A fuselage cores. The only length increase from the '109D to '152s was in the engine mount extension (the '152 tail group was actually a tad shorter).