Author Topic: McDonnell F-88 and F-101 Voodoo  (Read 32238 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: McDonnell F-88 and F-101 Voodoo
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2014, 10:38:21 PM »

A claim could be made that the FJ-1 was developed from the Mustang...  ;)

Well Brian, in as much as the prototype Supermarine Attacker was initially called the Jet Spiteful, the Fury FJ-1 is really a Jet Mustang, it just got a new fuselage ---

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2016, 09:46:48 AM »
This photo was just posted to Facebook. 416 SQN A/C.

My babies. It brings tears to my eyes.  :icon_sueno:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 10:36:05 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2016, 09:56:13 AM »
Here is another. The A/C is carrying a WSEM (AIM-4D simulator) and it is extended out into the air stream.

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2016, 05:04:06 PM »
Nice
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2017, 10:37:44 AM »

Source: Stolen from Facebook

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2017, 02:01:38 PM »
 :)

Offline kengeorge

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2017, 06:38:19 AM »
That looks good

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2020, 06:26:28 AM »
YouTube video on the F-101 Voodoo with some interesting [for me at least] details.  One in particular is the stores station directly under the air intake on the prototype F-101.  Never saw that before now and it certainly makes you wonder if in additional to the fuel tank-pylon what other things could be mounted in this location. 

Link: https://youtu.be/2BbIHbYiE-w
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2020, 02:42:59 PM »
Is it something different from this arrangement?
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2020, 08:05:56 PM »
Is that a Mark 7 Nuke shape between the drop tanks?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2020, 01:43:14 AM »

Yes, very different location.  I am quite familiar with the usual stores stations locations and what was shown in the video clip was definitely not what you show in your attached image.  The store that was affixed to the underside of the air intake had a strong resemblance to an integrated fuel tank/stores pylon for lack of a better description and it was unique enough to catch my attention.  Otherwise I would not have bothered to mention it, let along share the video link.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2020, 02:03:41 AM »

Yes, very different location.  I am quite familiar with the usual stores stations locations and what was shown in the video clip was definitely not what you show in your attached image.  The store that was affixed to the underside of the air intake had a strong resemblance to an integrated fuel tank/stores pylon for lack of a better description and it was unique enough to catch my attention.  Otherwise I would not have bothered to mention it, let along share the video link.

Have a look at 4.05, it looks like an early style of drop tank.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2020, 05:13:00 AM »
Flight testing of the first aircraft, F-101A 53-2418, there was no prototype as such,
revealed irregular flow issues in the air intakes and compressor stall. Internal intake
layout and compressor modifications cured the problems, but I have to wonder if
having that pylon and tank mounted there might not be the best idea. Also it may
be that the redesign on the intake internal layout led to the mounting structure going
away.
conspiracy.”

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2021, 08:17:51 AM »
I just stumbled across this picture of a F-101 Voodoo equipped with what looks like additional optical sensors and armed with a MIM-23 HAWK SAM🤔😯
One assumes it's a trial configuration for the HAWK's performance....
Would be interesting to know the timeframe, as the Iranian Air Force would later go on to operationally arm it's F-4 Phantom's and F-14 Tomcat's with a modified HAWK missile.

MAD
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 08:33:50 AM by M.A.D »

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2021, 07:01:00 PM »
^ Interesting. Opens up possibilities....

I've long planned on doing a Patricia Lynn RF-101B.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2021, 10:08:04 PM »
Yeah -- very interesting.

So jumping forward a few decades, this could have been quite possible --    ;)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2021, 11:43:29 PM »
I just stumbled across this picture of a F-101 Voodoo equipped with what looks like additional optical sensors and armed with a MIM-23 HAWK SAM🤔😯
One assumes it's a trial configuration for the HAWK's performance....
Would be interesting to know the timeframe, as the Iranian Air Force would later go on to operationally arm it's F-4 Phantom's and F-14 Tomcat's with a modified HAWK missile.

MAD

Here are some comments from FB users on this photo. Also more photos.

[1] I’m still trying to figure out what kind of testing they were doing with the Hawk. The MIM-23 used a continuous-wave target illuminator, but the MG-13 was a pulse radar. I’ve never seen a satisfactory explanation for the undernose pod on this bird and wonder if it houses a CW illuminator. I suppose if you want to kill a Bear really dead, that would be a good way to do it!

[2] According to the "Replica in Scale" webpage this F-101B-85-MC Voodoo 57-0282 was involved in a Mod Program called ATAR (ACQUISITION TRACKING AND RECOGNITION) at the time (1974) this picture was taken at Tyndall. Also, according to the article the mod under the nose is suppose to be a TISEO (TARGET IDENTIFICATION SET ELECTRO-OPTICAL) and the interior of the gear doors are red. I doubt that the bottom mod is a TISEO since it usually used a flat piece of glass as used on the F-4 and F-14. Here's a picture of an F-14 which has a TISEO mounted to the right of the sensor in question as it looks just like the one on the F-101B. Regarding the F-14, another article refers to this as an IRST (INFRARED SEARCH & TRACK & TARGETING) sensor. It appears that this is a Northrop/Grumman product.

[3] Agreed. The undernose sensor has some sort of dielectric material which means either radar or possibly infrared, not optical. Eyeballing it, it looks like that radome is 15 inches in diameter (the IRST ball mounted up top is 7 inches). I still think it is a CW illuminator, but until some sort of hard evidence comes up that’s still just speculation. But with a HAWK on the belly, nothing else makes sense. I don’t know what to make if it, but adding something about this to my updated manuscript if there is ever a second edition of my book.

Offline M.A.D

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2021, 06:11:38 AM »
Nice work with both additional info and pictures  The Big Gimper

MAD

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2021, 08:03:26 PM »
A thread about this has appeared on SPF yesterday too, with a bunch of images which are the same but there is some others. For instance, the under nose scanner dome in some photos is shown as flat white instead of black.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2023, 03:44:31 AM »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2023, 03:47:22 AM »

Offline M.A.D

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2023, 09:09:40 AM »

That's an interesting stores arrangement GTX
That would seemingly make the F-101 more versatile.

Surley, at minimum, McDonnell/McDD could have incorporated - at minimum, a hardpoint under each wing for the employment of one Aim-9 Sidewinder, for self protection 🤔

MAD

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2023, 11:42:04 AM »
<SNIP>
Surley, at minimum, McDonnell/McDD could have incorporated - at minimum, a hardpoint under each wing for the employment of one Aim-9 Sidewinder, for self protection

MAD

There were two stores stations available on some versions of the F-101/RF-101 for a pair of ECM pods (one under each wing).  The only kit that had these stores pylons was a very ancient 1/48th scale vacu-form conversion kit for the Monogram F-101B and RF-101B kits to convert it to the F-101A/C and RF-101A/C.  It was a very small rectangular shape pylon that resembled the outboard stores pylon from the MDD A-4 Skyhawk that was mounted on and later production variants from the A-4E/F and later. 

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2023, 10:45:00 AM »
F-101B for RAAF, and others, notion.

The single-seat F-101A first flight was in 1954, with service entry in 1957, the F-101B first
flight was in 1957 and it entered service in 1959.

"Development of an all-weather interceptor version of the Voodoo was first considered as early
as the fall of 1952, but was rejected at that time as being too costly."

"However, late in 1953 delays in the F-102B program caused the Air Force to reconsider its
procurement policy for all-weather interceptors."

"Before being awarded a contract, McDonnell had been looking into both single and two-seat
configurations for their interceptor and had explored several alternative power plant installations
including General Electric J79s, Pratt & Whitney J57s or J75s, or Wright J67s. In November 1954,
a two-seat configuration was finally adopted, and it was decided that the power plants would be
a pair of Wright J67s. The Wright J67 was a license-built version of the British Bristol Olympus
turbojet which offered a maximum afterburning thrust of 22,000 lbs."

"The initial go-ahead decision for the interceptor Voodoo was made on February 25, 1955. It was
anticipated that the first flight would take place in mid-1956 and that the initial entry into service
would be in early 1958."

" ... the Wright J67 engine soon began to encounter serious developmental difficulties, resulting in a
delay in the F-101B program. Both McDonnell and the Air Force agreed to switch to a pair of Pratt &
Whitney J57-P-55 turbojets fitted with afterburners ... longer afterburners raised maximum thrust
rating from 15,000 pounds to 16,900 pounds."

So, What-If the decision to develop a two-seat F-101 was taken in late '52 - early '53 and the J67
development came off without a hitch? The use of the Olympus leading to a proposal to use it as
the basis of a NATO and SEATO common long-range interceptor with or w/out SAGE equipment
depending on customer and region-meaning that the USAF and RCAF would be the only services
having the requirement. In the case of the latter service the US DOD and McDonnell sweetening
the pot by bringing in Avro Canada with a manufacturing deal similar to Canadair's Sabre deal
with North American. CAC in Australia later being brought in for the assembly of McDonnell kits,
which then transitioned into the licensed manufacture of some assemblies and the service support
contracts. The CAC assembled aircraft were originally only for the RAAF, but later they received
a contract to supply aircraft for the Philippine Air Force and Taiwan. 

:icon_fsm:
conspiracy.”

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2023, 11:20:40 AM »
Couple Lindberg 1/48 XF-88 are in stash.   Be B-45 length as 1/72.   Has kit-bash bomber potential.