Author Topic: Lockheed YF-94 NF(H) Moonfire - A TV Tale in Box Scale  (Read 4532 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Lockheed YF-94 NF(H) Moonfire - A TV Tale in Box Scale
« on: November 02, 2018, 08:14:02 AM »

The Lockheed F-94 Starfire is a notable, early all-weather jet interceptor.

Less well-remembered is an aircraft spawned by its prototype studies, the YF-94 NF(H) Moonfire.

Born out of a need to defend North America from a non-existent Soviet long-range bomber threat, the new interceptor would debut a few technological leaps along with many dead-ends.

Developed early on in the F-94 Starfire project, this jet was up-gunned and specialized for night bomber interdiction. The new fighter was armed with six 20 mm cannon, one rapid-fire  25 mm cannon and a .50 cal. machine gun which was typically loaded with tracer rounds for sighting purposes.

The aircraft had a crew of two, a pilot and a radar operator/targeting officer in back.

Officially known as the YF-94 NF(H) for Night Fighter - Heavy, the Lockheed firm was bound and determined to get as much mileage out of the Starfire concept as possible so they called this related development the Moonfire.

One great hindrance to the Starfire was its huge radar and associated electronics. That problem seemed solved with the AN/APG-333 & 1/3 radar, a smaller and more powerful top-secret version of the famous AN/APG-33 which was carried in one of the wing pods. The other pod carried a a powerful General Electric searchlight.

Moonfires would be vectored by ground control to the enemy's general location. Then the AN/APG-333 & 1/3 radar would allow the fighter to home in on its target which would be illuminated by the searchlight for effective gunnery. The Air Force ordered a small production run for evaluation purposes, but the design was obsolescent from the start.

By the autumn of 1953, the aging service-test batch of YF-94NF(H) Moonfires formed part of the 7997th Fighter Interceptor Sqn. based at Plane Field, near Plainfield, New Jersey to ride out their time until retirement. These aircraft had just returned from temporary deployment to Thule, Greenland for cold-weather tests. They hadn't even been back in the 'states long enough to have their protective coat of paint and red arctic recognition panels removed as the month of October wound down.

The timing of the 7997th FIS and their Moonfighters would be very fortunate indeed because of Steve Allen's Oct. 30, 1953  Friday Fright Night show which aired on WNBT-TV.

The presentation that evening was one of the first made-for-TV science-fiction movies, a re-telling of the War of the Worlds in black and white.

Eerily reminiscent of events exactly 15 years before, the viewing public panicked when the Martian spacecraft landed.

Of course this was all just early special effects and those fearsome flying saucers were only props, but those tuning in didn't know that.

Along with the public panic, the Air Force was notified and a flight of YF-94 NF(H) Moonfires was scrambled to intercept the invading men from Mars.

Of course, they never found any invaders but it all made for great headlines the next day.

NBC wanted to fire Allen immediately but Steve had an ironclad contract and the board wasn't going to shell out money for nothing.
So they found him another show in an even later time-slot.

The new show was essentially an hours-long abuse fest opening with Steve's monologue which was received with boos and cat-calls. Next, side-kick Don Rickles would fling insults at the host. "Nearsighted hockey-puck" and "four-eyed momma's boy" were some of the more memorable put-downs. After that, Steve would ask Miles Davis for a musical interlude to which the jazz genius would often reply "@#$% you! I play what I want you lilly-white mother @#$%&$!!!" Then various celebrity guests would appear, missing no opportunity to needle the host and question his parentage, sanity, sobriety and sartorial choices among other things. Steve was able to endure this for two years until NBC mercifully made him the co-host of "Books, Bongos & Bourbon with Jack Kerouac".

Steve Allen's career lasted longer than the Moonfire's. The last YF-94NF(H) was retired before Elvis had his first hit and none survive today.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 08:33:47 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Lockheed YF-94 NF(H) Moonfire - A TV Tale in Box Scale
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 09:02:06 AM »
This all started when a classic Revell box-scale F-94 Starfire arrived recently from a friend (thanks a million, hamsterman!). Mine came bagged but this is how one version of the box art looked.

The kit itself is incredibly basic, utterly befitting its provenance as the first model fighter kit Revell produced.

The instructions state it's 1/53 scale and was issued in 1955 but one source stated it's actually 1/54 scale and the version with landing gear came out in 1954.

Still, it seems perfect for The Treatment.

In a prior care package, my friend sent me a Monogram A-26 Invader. Unfortunately for the A-26, it's probably going to be tri-motorized which leaves that lovely gun nose that interestingly enough, fits (on a twist) the Starfire.

I really liked the look of it even if I was tempted to think of it as the Buick Bomber Killer now.

One improvement that seemed needed more than anything was dressing up that cavernous burner can. The lid from a drink bottle and the tip of one of the kit's tip-tanks came to the rescue.

One thing that always bugged me about the F-94 was the swept horiz stabs which seem at odds with the straight wings and fin/rudder. Besides the kit parts were a good size for being re-purposed and I had these 1/48 Hs-128 parts going spare.

Now that's much better.

Since I was going with a radar pod/searchlight combo, I had to modify them a bit. The radar pod was simply sanded into a rounder profile to mimic those on other aircraft. The searchlight pod needed cut and painted before the clear dome was glued on.

After I got all this together, it was off to the paint shop. The old hairy stick was loaded up with a lot of Polly Scale Milwaukee Road Gray and Model Masters Insignia Red. The canopy was tinted on the inside with Insignia Blue and the anti-glare panel done with Olive Drab.

The guns were given a custom mix and the burner can was painted with Model Masters Jet Exhaust.

Decals were all from spares as the ones that came with the kit looked a bit dodgy.

It took me four days to put this together, mostly thanks to the amazing tolerances engineered into the kit. The wings almost didn't need glue and slotted right in better than some more modern products.

Before I forget, here's a couple of "money shots" (U.S. penny for scale):

The UFO was made from three Monogram kit stands, two from the P-36 and one from the F11C. Various bits of fuzzy stuff were glued to the stand and a nub of sprue was stuck on top. The UFO was painted with Model Masters Aluminum.

I had a blast building this kit and I'd like to thank Bill for his kindness in sending it to me. I couldn't have done it without you!

I hope you enjoyed the Lockheed YF-94 NF(H) Moonfire and reading a little more forgotten aircraft history.

Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 11:23:02 AM »
Somehow I suspect that's one Lockheed would prefer to forget.  Beautiful build and backstory.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 03:44:05 PM »
New back dated life to F-94Aish for vintage kit.  :smiley:  Built one so know cavernous burner can that was missing "something".  Turns out that something is Jumo 004 inspired exhaust cone.  Lingering post war German influence.  Finding nose guns piece fits is surprise.  Like use of red.  Lightning bolt back from nose is neat touch.  See YP-78 Super Star and YF-94 NF(H) Moonfire together on flight line.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 08:55:33 PM »
 :o

Offline ed s

• An outstanding, creative builder.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 11:01:10 PM »
A brilliant story and a great model. As usual.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 03:10:01 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 10:04:25 AM »
I'm with Kitnut, awesome build Brian, truly inspired.

Out of interest, where or how do you display all the kits you make?

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 03:59:01 AM »
I'm really glad you guys liked this one. It was a blast to build it!

Mog, I used to hang them from the ceiling but then I started running out of room...

Now they're just in sad piles on a back shelf. I bagged up a year's worth and put them in a storage bin but I'm about two bins behind now.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 04:00:42 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 05:12:50 AM »
Snap!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 08:40:37 AM »
It looks awesome, Brian - I love the guns in the nose and the radar and searchlight pods. The .50 cal is just a gentle tap before the 20mm come knocking...

Offline Robomog

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 06:49:26 AM »
Whoa !  Talk about crowded airspace, impressive display/collections guys. Currently my small newly constructed collection is hung flat against the wall like a butterfly collection, all my old (circa 1979) completed kits are in boxes in the loft awaiting renovation.

Thanks for the insight guys

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 05:00:57 PM »
FAAMAN used to have a similarly crowded ceiling, back in the day.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 11:28:25 PM »
I love the minimalist canopy, gives it  Factory Sample feeling.

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 10:26:06 PM »
Surely one of your very best.  Brilliant.
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline Robomog

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 05:22:57 AM »
As i said above i'm hanging them vertically, not many yet this is about a year and a half's worth.

by Robomog, on Flickr

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 06:39:13 AM »
awesome work

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 01:44:56 AM »
Great build!

Love the colors scheme and the backstory. Always informative and fun!  ;)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 02:34:38 AM »
 "From 1:30 until he drops..." Brilliant Backstory, Brian! That particular Starfire may have been the first models I ever built, around 1963 or 4. I like yours better.  ;)

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
In The Mid-1950s...
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 06:35:26 AM »
…"SoCal" (Southern California i.e. Los Angeles Basin) y'all had to go buy injected plastic like the Revell F-94 in hobby stores or by then for me in 1958 the Thrifty Drug Store in with the then newly built Ralphs supermarket northwest corner Del Amo & Paramount Blvds in western Lakewood today a Social Security office ironic considering I could go there to claim mine when turn 70 in less than three years. Unfortunately I don't remember seeing first release Revell kits before 1958 but lots afterwards particularly the first 1/72nd ones ala 1962 B-17F "Memphis Belle", 1963 "Warbird" fighter series well as many of their 2nd & 3rd releases ala an "Air Power" CONVAIR B-36 kit I'd bought & built in 1964 well as near everything else Revell had out in the way of airplane kits back then. Before airplanes was interested in "targets" (military land vehicles), bought & built Renwal's first release M-47 Patton well as "somebody's" Panther tank, brought them with me to Sacramento in September 1963, also built Renwal's U.S.S. GEORGE WASHINGTON SSBN 598, came bagged as a Science Service Science Program paperback book series premium.

P.S. I too hung airplanes from the bedroom ceiling c. summer 1964 till spring 1969, sadly tossed photos I had of the final spring '69 arrangement decades ago, all were 1/72 scale:

Ceiling Far Left Corner From Bedroom Door - "Bomben auf Engeland" (Airfix Of America & Craftmaster Kits)
  • Junkers 88A-4
  • Heinkel 111H-20 crudely backdated with Revell Focke-Wulf 200 Dorsal Gun Canopy
  • Dornier 217E-2
  • Hurricane IV sans rockets
  • Spitfire IX
Ceiling Far Right Corner From Bedroom Door - "Bomben auf Deutschland" (Airfix Of America & Craftmaster Kits)
  • Lancaster I
  • Halifax III sans Bombardier Canopy, lost the darn thing whilst building it
  • Vickers Wellington III
  • Messerschmitt 110C
Ceiling Right Corner Next To Bedroom Door - "Regia Aeronautica gruppo d'assalto nordafricano"
  • Two Revell FIAT CR.42s
  • Two Air Lines (FROG) Macchi C.202s
Ceiling Right Center Next To Bedroom Door - "8th Air Force Over Germany" (Airfix Of America & Craftmaster Kits)
  • B-17G
  • B-24J
  • Focke-Wulf 190D
  • Messerschmitt 109G
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:07:46 PM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2018, 07:14:22 AM »
Really enjoyed and relate to your posting.
Also built Revell B-17 in early 60s and Revell F-94C.  Have same M47 on shelf right now.  Built early 70s.

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2018, 07:24:55 AM »
Really enjoyed and relate to your posting.
Also built Revell B-17 in early 60s and Revell F-94C.  Have same M47 on shelf right now.  Built early 70s.
Not too many years ago I'd bought another Renwal M-47 sadly not an original release. I wasn't going to build it, just wanted to "look" at it. Sadly it along with the other 623-odd kits I had in my collection "donated" to Viking Hobby in Sacramento for them to resell week before I'd sold the folks house on November 19, 2015, don't wanna think again about either right now...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:27:02 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »