Author Topic: Hawker Cyclone  (Read 6793 times)

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
Hawker Cyclone
« on: June 19, 2012, 02:36:11 AM »

I plan to reproduce this design in Styrene-3D. But first I would like you to comment/critique and help me to define some points:

Name: Is Cyclone OK?

Power plant:  Wright Tornado. How can be, in your opinion, exhaust pipe scheme?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:47:46 AM by ysi_maniac »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Hawker Cyclone
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 02:49:01 AM »
Cyclone is fine!

Will respond re rest later
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 03:39:44 AM »
Cyclone is a perfectly good name.

I like it overall, but the P-51 belly radiator is a bit jarring to the eye and isn't really in keeping with Hawker design attributes.

I think smoothing out the nose contours and going for leading edge radiators in the wings, such as the Sea Fury and Tempest II had, would help keep the Hawker look.

I don't see why you couldn't use a similar exhaust outlet system as the Tempest II or Sea Fury had for the Tornado engine.
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 04:29:18 AM »
I don't see why you couldn't use a similar exhaust outlet system as the Tempest II or Sea Fury had for the Tornado engine.

Sounds good: I will consider this idea, along with others

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 05:03:25 AM »
I like it overall, but the P-51 belly radiator is a bit jarring to the eye and isn't really in keeping with Hawker design attributes.

I would beg to differ UpNorth, here's a pic of the Hawker P.1027, sometimes refered to as the Tempest Mk.VII, the radiator comes from a P-51H which is practically a replica of what Hawker designed for this aircraft.

Although I am wondering why Carlos wants to use 'two' radiators !
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:05:34 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 06:26:46 AM »
Love the name Cyclone! I'd probably dispense with one of the radiatiors. Leaving the one under the belly would give it a faster look I think.

Brian da Basher

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 08:54:51 AM »
Why 2 radiators?

I think that chin radiator would be too litle for an engine like Wright Tornado as it is designed for an engine with less than a half its power. Besides this, I am working with Frog P-40 which has an even smaller radiator and my plan is to reduce it a little more. This way chin intake for carburetor and oil radiator and ventral intake for water radiator. Like P-51, IIRC.

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 01:33:32 PM »
OK, I stand corrected on the P-51 style radiator. I wasn't aware of the Hawker P.1027 design at all.
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 10:28:29 PM »
Why 2 radiators?

I think that chin radiator would be too litle for an engine like Wright Tornado as it is designed for an engine with less than a half its power. Besides this, I am working with Frog P-40 which has an even smaller radiator and my plan is to reduce it a little more. This way chin intake for carburetor and oil radiator and ventral intake for water radiator. Like P-51, IIRC.

That makes sense  :)

FYI, the small intake the P-51 had under the spinner was for the air intake and supercharger 'aftercooler', the under-fuselage radiator housing had the water cooling and oil cooling installed there.  That's according to the Rolls Royce book on the Mustang.

Have you got the book on the Wright Tornado ?

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 11:50:06 PM »
Thanks for your brilliant technical advisory!  :)

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 05:36:27 AM »
Another possibility.

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 04:26:56 PM »
If I'm reading correctly, the Tornado engine was about the same power and weight as a Sabre II - and a little longer and slimmer. A later version would have more power - just like with the Sabre.

If you go with contraprops, something prettier would please me more. Like on Seafire 47 and Seafang.
Radiators.... Yes it will need some. Clearly, the P-51 style works. Perhaps something like that could be done without making everybody say that it looks like a P-51 radiator?

(once you get a little outside these experts' circles ( ;) ) anything with a doghouse radiator looks like a P-51D, and any jet with intake below the fuselage looks like an F-16)

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 03:10:25 AM »
Your older Hawker designs used under belly radiators too...  Fury, Hart and Hurricane so your design would be in keeping i think.. :)

Rock on !

Offline Nexus1171

• SC
  • I go by many names...you may know one...
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 11:04:22 AM »
I like it