Author Topic: 1/35 KN1 Sea Tank  (Read 9879 times)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
1/35 KN1 Sea Tank
« on: April 10, 2017, 03:09:04 AM »
In 1946 the DOD realing from the near defeat in ww2 realised our costal defence was lacking and that we needed far more destroyers but lacked the funds to produce them after the collosal costs of the war it was decided we needed light weight fast vessels with the fire power of a destroyer, it was decided that only one designer could design such a vessel, after the success of his flying tank the handsome and clever designer kpnuts was the only one capable of building the new vessel. No one knew where he had gone and a massive manhunt began to find him.
A little older and more grey haired, but distinguishly handsome, he was found on a remote island off the Galapagos, he was set to work immediately, after exhaustive research it was decided the crusader 3 tank would be the basis of this new vessel.
The first 3 prototypes sank without a trace but KN1 became the most successful sea tank ever made. Watch this space for the story of what could arguably be called the most successful sea going vessel of modern times

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
Re: 1/35 KN1 Sea Tank
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 02:44:43 AM »
Hi all well the fun begins, I'm not worried about realism or true to life just having some fun, trying different modeling methods and materials.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 07:23:21 PM »
 :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 04:54:18 AM »
Hi all here is the next update

Going to add some outriggers at some point.

Offline 35th-scale

• On first name terms with someone called Nathan...
  • I wonder what scale he builds in???
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 09:48:40 PM »
Might be difficult getting volunteers to crew it 😄

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 12:15:57 AM »
Starting to look like a "20,000 Leagues" Nautilus with a turret. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 03:18:16 AM »
Hi all, well since the Thermopylae is shelved again I'm onto this again, here is where I am now.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 06:08:56 AM »
Hi all, well since the Thermopylae is shelved again I'm onto this again, here is where I am now.

You have two grid-shapes parts added to your stern section.  I have a couple of the same items in my parts stash and I have no clue what kit they were from.  Do you know?  I suspect it is from a Revell-Germany kit since the plastic is a very light blue-green/almost duck egg blue colour but that is about all I know about the things.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 01:30:51 PM »
Hi  Jeffrey they are from the 1/72 revell flower class corvette.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 04:13:42 PM »
Thank you for solving the mystery.  Never had that kit so it was kind of stumping me on the source of the parts.  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 08:59:29 PM »
Kpnuts an interesting build, as always!
8)  look forward to seeing more!

AnDonio

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 06:32:48 PM »
looks cool.  Nice work

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 08:52:14 PM »
Coming along nicely.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 08:26:24 AM »
"Sea Tank" nifty but new to me !
Seems they need a periscope to see any distance.  And stereoscopic for ranging.
Were they operated by Army or Navy ?
Is looking right, must be right.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 02:27:10 AM »
Hi all well as I said on my Spad build this yr I'm going to try and finish some of my shelved builds.

This one wasn't stopped for problems with the build. I started this on another forum that is ruled with an iron fist I got fed up with continuing complaints and warnings from the admin (everything I posted on there was exactly the same as here and other forums I frequent, with no complaints on here or any of the others) the final straw was complaining about the back story on this build (I decided I don't want to be on a forum where you can't even use humour in a topic) I've not posted there since and of course it put me off the build, well I've decided to start it again.
Ive removed the side shields as I'm intending to add inflatable type floats to it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 07:41:10 AM »
We enjoy humorous back stories here, Mr Nuts.

I really like this interesting concept and that pointed prow gives it a menacing look.

Brian da Basher

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 08:39:40 AM »
Captain Nemo approves!  :smiley:
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 11:18:59 AM »
Just the thing to operate off a nuclear-powered submarine LST.  It's really looking good.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 05:27:38 PM »
Good to see this baby back in the construction dock! :smiley: :smiley: 8)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 07:29:10 PM »
Good to see back under construction.  Just right to have for shallow water archipelago operations.  Compliments gun boats.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 05:00:41 AM »
This has a certain steam punk/diesel punk look to it. Keep forging ahead. I’ll be watching.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2019, 05:28:18 AM »
We enjoy humorous back stories here, Mr Nuts...

We do indeed. And driving the rivet-counters crazy is half the fun. Still, glad that the modelling-correctness-goons haven't put you off completely. Go Sea-Tank!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2019, 02:23:05 AM »
Hi all well I've added the wheel and a sort of nautical colour scheme, once the tracks are on I will add some outrigger pontoon supports, going thought my spares box I can't find any props of an appropriate size then I thought about adding paddles to the wheels (which I figure would allow it amazing manouverability and allow it to turn in its own radius) what do you think is that a feasible idea.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 11:13:06 AM »
It's got a great menacing steampunk vibe to it.

Kinda reminds me of the "dragon" from Dr No.

Brian da Basher

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 01:16:11 PM »
Many amphibious vehicles use water jet propulsion. Others just use the motion of the tracks for propulsion like the M113. You could just use the tracks unless you want some really high speed!