Author Topic: Silent Death from the depths ...  (Read 9827 times)

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
Silent Death from the depths ...
« on: March 27, 2013, 05:26:02 PM »
Almost forgot to post my own build for this GB !!!   This is the Vladimir Putin . Latest in the secret development of cutting edge of weapons for Russia. It's an extend Typhoon class submarine with an exparmental underwater jet drive.  This is something I read about in Popular Mechanics back in the late 60's. It works by the use giving the water an positive charge as it enters the intake and the walls have a negative change which repells it out the back. This was supposed to be silent as well as very fast.  I'm using the leftovers from a model of the Red October sub a friend built back in the late 80's. It was cut with a step for strength on his model. I cut out a section of missile tubes for the lengthened Red October sub. I then had a shortened Typhoon,for myself. In this build I'll make a stepped box to lengthen the hull and be the base for the jet drive ,on each side of the hull. This is what I have to start my build ...
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Re: Silent Death from the depths ...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 07:48:34 PM »
Can't wait to see this one finished......

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 08:29:24 PM »
Nice one - wasn't that how the 'Caterpillar Drive' described in The Hunt for Red October was supposed to work?  The sub in that was a mod of a standard Typhoon (longer and wider, IIRC), to accomodate the drive system in addition to the subs standard gear.  Maybe Clancy read that edition of Popular Mechanics too...

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 02:21:58 AM »
I believe it was called magntohydrodynamic drive. Father ennis has it right, kind of like the ion drive in use on some space probes today.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 12:00:02 PM by kerick »

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 02:36:47 AM »
That's the one!  Great idea.

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 06:59:46 AM »
My inner Clancy fan approves!  Please proceed  8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline father ennis

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 07:19:26 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments,guys.  If I remember correctly, the catapallier drive was an underwater version of tank tracks. I remember my buddy was going to have to add the doors on the bottom of the hull. I thought it was used to creep along the bottom for sneaking around on the bottom without the noise of the props.  Does anyone know what if any development of this idea has/was been done over the years ?  I can't remember ever seeing anything about this over the years.  LOL, I'm beginning to think we should renamed this build. Seems most everything we're seeing is using leftovers for our models !!!   Either way I'm stocked to get this done and see it for myself. I'll try to show some in progress photos soon. 

I was wondering if there was interest in a fuller discription of some of the things I've done or will use here as an educational tool? What I mean is why I cut the sub kits like I did and methods I'm using which could be used by others on much different models. I'm not going to make this a tutorial,though as that would be outside the scope of this GB.
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Diamondback

• SC
  • Head of the crew dog fan boy club
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 08:49:52 AM »
IIRC, the movie version of Krazny Oktyabr was twelve meters longer and three wider than the standard Typhoon--I know the extra length carried extra missiles, and I would guess that the extra beam was a meter and a half each side outboard of the missile tubes, between them and the start of the rounds on the outer hull.

Saw the filming model at Planet Hollywood in Costa Mesa once, but it was beaten to crap and beyond ANY use as a reference, ditto the filming Dallas at PH Caesars' Forum in Vegas.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 12:11:55 PM »
Don't let the term "catapillar drive" mislead you. As I understand it, it has nothing to do with tank or bulldozer style tracks. MHD uses opposing electrical charges to move the water from the intake out the back for a jet type propulsion. The super quiet attribute is from the lack of moving parts such as propellors, pumps and valves that make noise.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetohydrodynamic_drive

Offline father ennis

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 03:01:52 PM »
I must admit I don't know that much about the Red October sub. It was my friend's idea and comment. I thought it was a track system but I really don't know. I would watching the movie but I need a new VCR combo unit before I can watch it again. I knew I should have bought the $5 DVD when I had my chance....   LOL !!!

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 06:08:58 AM »
Kerick's right on the names - both refer to an electro-hydro way to move the water in a jet.

However Russia did develop tank-tracked submarines for very-shallow work in enemy harbours - as used in Norway in the 1980's.  Somewhere I have a poor photo of the tracks left in the harbour bottom & of the sub itself.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 11:53:00 PM »
Looks like both are whiff possibilities. I can't imagine the tracked sub being very quiet. Put some hydrophone in the harbor and listen for the clank clank clank sound. Maybe it was a rubber track like on some M113s.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 05:12:24 AM »
I remember reading something about a paper project by the Germans during WW2 that involved a mini-submarine with tracks.  So it is not far from reality :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline father ennis

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 08:16:24 AM »
Now that its mentioned,I remember seeing a model of the submarine tank,but I can't remember where ???  Seems like it looked a lot like a boiler with tracks. Wish I knew where it was. I'm sure it was last year,but ....   Damn you now I'm going to have to look at EVERY site I've looked at in the last year to find it now.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 10:59:31 AM »
I've got details at home I think.  Give me a couple of days to dig around.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline father ennis

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 02:46:43 PM »
Father Ennis will give you his best blessing AND not ask for you to tithe most of your money,either.I haven't a clue where I saw it and its driving.me nuts !!!

Offline AGRA

• Took the opportunity to tease us with a RAAF F-82
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 07:22:39 PM »
Now that its mentioned,I remember seeing a model of the submarine tank,but I can't remember where ???  Seems like it looked a lot like a boiler with tracks. Wish I knew where it was. I'm sure it was last year,but ....   Damn you now I'm going to have to look at EVERY site I've looked at in the last year to find it now.

Germans built one in WWII called Seeteufel (Sea Devil). It was a mini submarine for coast defence and the idea of the tracks was to enable it to get into the water by itself down a beach.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=seeteufel+submarine&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=VspWUabsAemSiQf0yIHIAg&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=619

There was a lot of speculation in the 1980s that the Soviets had one because when the Swedes found one of their submarines in their waters (Whiskey on the rocks) they later found what looked like track marks in the sea mud. But then later they found out this was a signature left by one of their trawler rigs.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 03:53:00 AM »
Yep, that's the one I was think of.  Will see if I have more detailed info when I get home.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline father ennis

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 03:31:57 PM »
WoW !!!  That is really neat !!!  However,that isn't the one I remember seeing. Very interesting,thanks for the link.