Author Topic: Gingie's Build Thread  (Read 198232 times)

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
Re: Gingie's Build Thread
« Reply #350 on: July 18, 2014, 04:47:49 PM »
Oooh, I want to hear what you have planned Rickshaw!

All that I am presently able to reveal about this top secret program is that it is the follow on from the T249 Vigilante...   ;)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #351 on: July 18, 2014, 09:09:42 PM »

I hope this conveys my feelings
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Zaskar24

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #352 on: July 18, 2014, 11:30:29 PM »
That looks really good.  Everything came together nicely and looks like it belongs. 

I am really interested to see what you do with the Bandai M61A5 AD version as I just picked that kit up myself.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #353 on: July 19, 2014, 02:06:25 AM »
Thanks fellas! :))

The Bandai kit fits together superbly! I'm thinking dual gatlings up front, and a large RWS behind the crew commander, like a Leopard 2A7. I haven't figured out sensors yet..maybe a short mast aft of the RWS.

Working on a heavy reconnaissance vehicle today....

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #354 on: July 19, 2014, 02:09:13 AM »
Working on a heavy reconnaissance vehicle today....
Where did you source that turret for this project?  Looks interesting.  A shame you can not moe the engine to the front to give you an access ramp/door at the rear of the hull. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Gingie

« Reply #355 on: July 19, 2014, 04:41:35 AM »
Jeff - Its the Pit Road JGSDF Type 89 IFV.

The Gepard hull was originally going to have the MGS 105mm turret, but I decided to put that on the Type 89 hull (which does have the front engine / rear dismounts). I envisioned a tracked MGS with deployable Infantry section as bridging the gap between tracked MBT and wheeled IFV.

So, its been a game of musical turrets!
Gepard turret on MGS hull
MGS gun on Type 89 hull
Type 89 turret on Gepard hull

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #356 on: July 19, 2014, 04:57:54 AM »
Jeff - Its the Pit Road JGSDF Type 89 IFV.

The Gepard hull was originally going to have the MGS 105mm turret, but I decided to put that on the Type 89 hull (which does have the front engine / rear dismounts). I envisioned a tracked MGS with deployable Infantry section as bridging the gap between tracked MBT and wheeled IFV.

So, its been a game of musical turrets!
Gepard turret on MGS hull
MGS gun on Type 89 hull
Type 89 turret on Gepard hull
I thought the turret looked familiar.  I have the Trumpeter kit and it has two ATGM launchers (one for each side) on the turret.  Looking at your images again I realize now that you only had the one launcher mounted and the opposite side still has the location point for the launcher. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #357 on: July 19, 2014, 07:31:08 AM »
The added side armor really makes it for me!

That's one mean looking recon tank!

Brian da Basher

Offline Gingie

« Reply #358 on: July 20, 2014, 08:51:57 AM »
I put the recce tank aside for the day. I just wasn't feeling the mojo for it. Instead, I've bashed on with another Air Defence turret. This one is a but more futuristic, in that the weapons are meant to be some kind of electro-thermal pulsed energy deals.

Turret is based on the very old Tamiya Gepard (figure I might as well start chopping them up now before Meng gives a new tool one, heh heh)
I chopped the rear of the Gepard turret as it was too long for the LAV 10x10 its destined for. Even with the shorter turret, I still had to notch out a section for the radar mast to retract into

I raided the spare parts bin for the rest...M-113 Engine parts, Bradley sight, T-72 fuel drum for the E/O sight, Cougar episcopes, Stryker antennas..etc. The guns are from Kotobukiya for a Gundam robot I think. I'm not sure what they are 'meant' to be for the Gundam world, but I liked how they fitted with the Gepard.

The optical glass in the sight is a coated plastic that shifts from gold to red depending on the viewing angle. I'm going to put the same stuff in the three circular lenses on the E/O module after painting.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #359 on: July 20, 2014, 09:34:33 AM »
That turret is incredible  :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #360 on: July 20, 2014, 11:15:27 AM »
Sweet! :D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #361 on: July 20, 2014, 11:40:45 AM »
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!  That is one hell of a wicked looking Gepard turret.  Definitely like the idea of your Gauss gun/Coil guns* as the primary weapon.  The sensors suite is looking great too.  The shiny plastic you refer to with the gold to red color changes is something that I have encountered in the various crafts stores in this area.  Usually comes in assorted small shapes and sizes for a very small price. 

Graeme,

I meant to ask this before but forgot to post the question.  The cables on your previous project that connect to the bottom of the radar mast.  What was the original product?  It looks a bit like shoe laces but it had me wondering as I like the idea of armored cables to protect the wiring. 

*Wikipedia - List of Electromagnetic Projectile Devices in Fiction
*Wikipedia - Electromagnetic Rail Gun
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:10:52 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline Gingie

« Reply #362 on: July 20, 2014, 11:53:37 AM »
Gauss gun.. gonna have to google that, but I love the sound of it!

I'll try and track down the product. It is a metal sheathed cable and behaves very much like a shoe lace. Just today I saw a black elastic cord, like the kind price tags are attached to clothing with, and thought that would make a good substitute. The product I've used has no strech and is not as flexible as a shoelace which does limit it somewhat.

ah wait..I'll just go through my HLJ order history and it will be there...

http://www.hlj.com/product/WAVOP-486

Offline Gingie

« Reply #363 on: July 20, 2014, 12:04:58 PM »
OK, last one for the day.

This one from 9 months back:

Got rescued a bit.  I kept getting hung up on where to place the driver and the turret ring. I was thinking along the lines of an XM800W. Then a brainwave hit me - what if I made it an Unmanned Ground Vehicle? No need to worry about a driver station. And areas that would otherwise be occupied by a crew commander and loader could now be filled with bigger/more weapons & ammo.

That idea re-energized me to bash on with the upper hull front. I've noticed on  vehicles like the MATV and MAXXPRO that the hoods have a curved (civilian?) look to them. I tried to do the same here by laminating .040, squaring it off, and then rounding the edges down.

So, this will have a large RWS, some sensors, a few antennas, and lot of cameras. Thinking hybrid power too,so it can really stand on silent watch with zero noise signature and minimal thermal sig.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #364 on: July 20, 2014, 12:39:26 PM »
Ni-ice! :D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #365 on: July 20, 2014, 01:46:09 PM »
Love the modified Gepard turret.  :-* Especially with the "sci-fi" armament pods.
It's really cool to see a tracked/wheeled vehicle with Gundam-style weapons. There are so many illustrations of mechs sporting contemporary armament like Hellfires, FFAR pods, Bushmaster cannons, Miniguns and whatnot, that it's cool to see this reversed, with Gundam weaponry on contemporary base vehicles.

The black parts are from a Kotobukia 72nd scale 'rifle' for a Gundam type robot. It's been chopped, reglued, chopped again, maybe 1/2 of it remains  :)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10164023

Thanks for the heads-up!  :) Cool idea to use Gundam parts. Some of those kits are dirt-cheap and offer lots of interesting parts that can be put to good use on whifs.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Gingie

« Reply #366 on: July 21, 2014, 12:08:58 AM »
yes, the gundam stuff has opened things up for me for sure! Some of the detail is a bit clunky, but the parts fit quite well and many of the weapon kits are interchangeable. I easily spent double the time doing mock-ups than actually building. Its been a while since I scratch built anything, so kit bashing with the gundams was good way to ease back into it.

Here it is mounted on the 10x10:

Group photo:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #367 on: July 21, 2014, 02:37:14 AM »
the weapons are meant to be some kind of electro-thermal pulsed energy deals.

Alternately, they could be rail guns (similar to the Gauss gun in concept) with the propelling rails (and their attendant cooling) going all the way to the muzzle - hence the look.  Rail guns have been in development for some time and are getting close to introduction too.  The stretched vehicle could hold the requisite power generation for either weapon.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 02:42:12 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Gingie

« Reply #368 on: July 21, 2014, 02:56:38 AM »
For the Gatling gun, I think that large section after the gun breech could be some kind of power generating/storing/delivery system. So the bullets are still kinetic, they just don't use chemical energy to propel them. And at 30km/s, they would not need much lead angle to hit a crossing target!

Primer is on..what a difference. I love this step, its the real make it or break it point to see if everything is tied together design-wise. My first time using tamiya spray primer. I really like the stuff! A few PSR bits here & there before painting.

Offline Gingie

« Reply #369 on: July 21, 2014, 03:09:36 AM »
And the LAV 10x10 gets a shot of primer too:
(ps the E/O module is juts blu-tacked on...I will glue it on straight)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #370 on: July 21, 2014, 06:52:51 AM »
I have nothing worthwhile to say... this is just astounding  :o :o :o

Great work, great vision.. just great!!!!

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #371 on: July 21, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
I like the 10x10 chassis.  Something I've also been thinking about for some time.  Damn, I must extract digit it seems.  ;D

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #372 on: July 21, 2014, 03:20:46 PM »
Just... damn!  :icon_surprised: They looked cool in all their multi-colour kit-bashed glory, but with that primer applied, they look like they came that way straight from the box! As if they were never meant to be anything but this!  :)

Just edit in some Pit-Road/Tamiya/Trumpeter watermark, fake serial #, a "Coming soon..." slogan and "leak" it on Facebook!  >:D And watch the crowd go wild!  ;D

Any idea regarding operators and camouflages yet? I think they'd look the part in JGSDF camo and with a Kaiju/Godzilla Defence Force patch on the turret sides.... :P
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #373 on: July 21, 2014, 04:26:52 PM »
Daum !!! FAB stuff.  In the grey primer and with the quality of the images they look like pro company 3D renderings of the lastest "soon to be released" kits .....

Brent

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #374 on: July 21, 2014, 07:45:04 PM »
Gingie, as an alternative source of Gundam type weapons, you might want to have a look at Shapeways.  Many Gundam enthusiasts print alternative weapons.