Author Topic: The Joint Strike Fighter Program  (Read 20310 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: The Joint Strike Fighter Program
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2016, 02:57:01 AM »
The F-35 Helmet is one system that people often overlook.  In the F-35, the helmet constitutes another key system since there is no HUD what-so-ever.  Moreover, the helmet allows the pilot to do a lot - as per the video on this page:  https://www.f35.com/about/capabilities/helmet

BTW, it isn't just men flying the F-35 (as the video above implies).  Women are too:  https://youtu.be/R3pNMiHixmo
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2016, 03:17:12 AM »
BTW, if nothing else, the helmet just looks cool:

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 03:25:21 AM »
BTW, if nothing else, the helmet just looks cool:

Take me to your Leader!
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 04:49:20 AM »

More on HOBS and the effects:

From Janes, May 2001:
According to one source, US Marine Corps F/A-18 Hornets from the Balkans theater recently engaged in mock combat with Israeli Air Force fighters. The Hornets were armed with AIM-9s, and the Israeli fighters carried Python 3 and Python 4 missiles and Elbit DASH helmet sights. IDR's source describes the results as "more than ugly", the Israelis prevailing in 220 out of 240 engagements.

"Is the US Navy Overrated?" a study from Kightsbridge Univ:
The Israeli Air Force, perhaps the best-trained and most experienced in the world, has outshined the US Navy, and they have done so more than once. A joint USN-IAF air combat exercise in 1999 underlines and highlights the thesis that the US Navy is overrated. On September 14, 1999, The Jerusalem Post announced that the Israelis soundly dispatched the air wing from the USS Theodore Roosevelt (which, incidentally, was the same carrier the Dutch destroyed in 1999). Israeli F-16s squared off against American F-14s and F-18s. The final results were astonishing. The Israelis shot down a whopping 220 US aircraft while losing only 20 themselves. The 10:1 kill ratio was so embarrassing that the results were not “officially published ‘to save the reputations of the US Navy pilots.’” The magazine article on which the article was based, however, reported the kill ratio to be about 20:1.
This incident was not the first time the US Navy has found itself running behind the Israelis in air combat. Back in 1983, significant qualitative differences between the Israeli Air Force and US naval aviation became obvious when the US Navy botched a raid over Lebanon to suppress Syrian forces there. Aircrews from the USS John F. Kennedy were not properly briefed, launched with the wrong weapons, used outdated tactics, lost twenty percent of their aircraft, and in return, did very little damage to the Syrian positions. The Israelis, conversely, had enjoyed great success during hundreds of missions over the Bekaa Valley with negligible losses. Yes, the Israelis had far more experience flying over the region, and thus a major advantage, but even Secretary Lehman, himself a Naval Reserve aviator, granted that the Israelis were simply more organized, more creative, and had far better planning and tactics than the Americans did.

This was attributed to Helmet queuing and Pythons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMSfg26YSQ

Testing on Aim-9X^

So with this in mind, the Super Hornet and JSF had a much more different emphasis on how to bring weapon systems onto target.

Tell me again how you can't rely on missiles and a fighter has to have a gun, you know, those supposed
lessons of Vietnam. The real lesson of Vietnam in regards to air-to-air combat was don't get involved in
shit where you don't control the environment and the ROE.
 :-X
Conspiracy theorys got to be simple.
Sense doesnt come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatevers supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 08:11:04 AM »
BTW, it isn't just men flying the F-35 (as the video above implies).  Women are too:  https://youtu.be/R3pNMiHixmo

So what are we watching here, the video switches back and forth between an F-35A and an F-35C   ::)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2016, 11:37:47 PM »

Northrop Grumman JAST^

McDonnell Douglas JAST/JSF concepts:

very curious with the Gas driven proposal how much space and weight penalties there would be for all the pipes?

Looks like the Canards got dropped early on...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:40:29 PM by taiidantomcat »
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2016, 12:01:09 AM »
Let me put it another way: The F-35A is land-based CTOL, the F-35B is STOVL and the F-35C is carrier-based CTOL, but they're all based on the same airframe. To what extent is each type compromised in it's role by the need to build the other types from the same basic airframe, and to what extent are the capabilities of the whole programme compromised by the need to repalce so many different types?

In other words, would the F-35 be a better F-16/F-18 replacement if it wasn't also trying to be an AV-8B replacement and an A-10 replacement all in the same basic airframe, and vice-versa?

So a quick answer on the political side of things, we saw the ATF/F-22 which is almost the opposite of the JSF-- single service, single mission, single nation, "no compromises" (lol but play along) and we saw a long development cycle, delays, and hge cost increases, and having it curtailed with the GWoT raging, and charges that is had no value in such wars. I think the War on Terror underscores the difficulty in getting conventional weapons fielded as well. THe F-22  was curtailed, The Marines EFV was canceled and of the complaints was because it wouldn't be good in the WAr on Terror (keeping in mind it was never built to fight such wars), and we have seen the army struggle massively with replacing its scout helicopters, and field other conventional systems that replace older stuff.

I think if the various programs had not been rolled into 1 with JSF, all of the F-16, F-18, and AV-8 replacement programs would have been cut, or canceled and the funds "freed up" by doing that pumped into keeping the already fielded and fighting war on terror systems going (which we saw the Army do for example). Which is great and all, but considering it takes about a minimum of 10 years to develop a new airplane (and 20 is far more realistic) and it won't be IEDs and RPGs forever, I think everyone would be scrambling to replace the worn out teen series fighters and finding there was simply no money to do so, thus the can gets continually kicked down the road, and the War on terror doesn't seem to have an end in sight right now.

Joint programs are much harder to cancel, and have the benefit of combining funds from multiple sources. I think big picture its a blessing the JSF program is going to go through delays and all, because the alternative IMHO was basically NOTHING, thanks to the obsession with Iraqistans into perpetuity. So I think if if there are compromises, frankly it beats nothing. Which was a very realistic possibility. So even with hindsight, I would still say it was the proper choice. With hindsight we would try to avoid some of the pitfalls that happened, but the overall idea I feel is still a good one.

I understand that in a perfect world a service would say "we need this, and this exactly" and industry would design it and congress would gladly support it, and not dare cancel it but it really doesn't work that way. You have to get the politics right as they. It was the 1990s cuts and cancellations were happening left right and center  the USAF didn't really have the money for an F-16 replacement and the USMC didn't have the money for a harrier replacement. and then in 2001 the game changed. I think you would have 5 programs with 3 coming to fruition (2 canceled programs at least) and that is being highly optimistic in terms of an ASTOVL actually happening for example. The USAF would be trying to justify why it was replacing the F-16 with a stealthy multi role instead of an A-10 for example. the less enthusiastic example has multiple programs with none or maybe 1 or 2 coming to fruition.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 12:06:02 AM by taiidantomcat »

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2016, 09:02:29 AM »

So what are we watching here, the video switches back and forth between an F-35A and an F-35C   ::)

Its mostly about Lt. Col. Christine Mau the first female F-35 pilot.  She is in one of the F-35As and is shown at the start and end of the video. 

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2016, 10:09:12 AM »

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2016, 04:12:14 AM »
More iterations:

LM^

Boeing

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2016, 06:01:09 AM »
It might be a little boring for some but here is an interesting (if a little dated) presentation on some of the efforts to reduce the solution effects of the F-35:  http://www.asetsdefense.org/documents/workshops/MFW-5-06/BackgroundReports/7-New_platforms-F-35.pdf