Author Topic: LF: 35th or Larger Scale Tank Tracks  (Read 2791 times)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
LF: 35th or Larger Scale Tank Tracks
« on: March 19, 2012, 08:57:49 AM »
Okay, this is rather off the wall, but I'm looking for a set of 1/24 M41 treads or something that could pass for same.  Why?  Because I acquired one of the old ITC T92 kits and the rubber band tracks really need replacing in that scale.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: LF: 35th or Larger Scale Tank Tracks
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 09:56:59 AM »
Okay, this is rather off the wall, but I'm looking for a set of 1/24 M41 treads or something that could pass for same.  Why?  Because I acquired one of the old ITC T92 kits and the rubber band tracks really need replacing in that scale.

That is going to be a serious logistics challenge trying to find something that will pass for tracks on that kit.  You could broaden your search to include the Tamiya 1/16th scale Sherman or toss reality out the window and find some tracks from one of those Teutonic Super-Dooper Paper Panzers that have very wide tracks.  Even the King Tiger for what its worth.  If you can wait a few days, I can drag a couple of sets out of the spare parts locker and send them along with the Arrow kit since there is still a bit of room in the box
:)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:46:31 AM »
That works for me since I intend to build it static, without the electric motor to propel it across the floor.  'Tis a kit I just "lucked into", combined with a number of aircraft kits on eBay.  Once upon a time I had the rather smaller Nitto kit of the T92 but that vanished somewhere over the years.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 04:23:21 AM »

I asked a retired colonel friend of mine that had experience with M551, M60, and other tracked vehicles while he was on active service.  The added bonus is that he is an excellent model builder and all around really nice guy to know.  Anyway Russell is suggesting that you may be able to solve your problem by using an existing US style track such as what AFV Club offers in 1/35th scale for the M26, M46, M47, M48 and M60 series tanks.  The T92 was smaller than the M48/M60 so the number of track links contained in the kit just might solve your problem.  It would certainly be better looking than going with a Tiger or King Tiger set of tracks. 

Here is a link to the items at Squadron which are offered with a discounted price at the moment:

AFV Club Models Taiwan, 1/35th scale M48 and M60 (Workable) Track links - (AC35010) @ $11.99 ea.
AFV Club Models Taiwan, 1/35th scale T80E1 Steel Chevron Pattern Track for M26 Pershing & M46 Patton (Workable) Track links - (AC35036) @ $10.99 ea.

The width of the 1/35th scale tracks on your 1/24th scale T92 should not be a problem.  The T80E1 tracks might be the best choice due to the price and time period when they were in use. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:30:16 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg