Author Topic: HMAS Buccaneer - A submarine  (Read 5738 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: HMAS Buccaneer - A submarine
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2023, 03:49:43 PM »
With the cat dying yesterday I was in no mood for modelling when I got home from work.

Tonight, however, is a different story!

We'll see how far I get. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2023, 02:51:03 AM »
Man, I am sorry to hear about you cat. As a cat person myself, I sympathize. looking forward to the next pictures.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2023, 12:51:19 PM »
Thanks, Craig! I'm mostly a general "animal person" (not that that stops me hunting) but cats are, pretty much, the pinnacle of pets. I like their independent attitude. :))

Now, on with the build!

The fairings at the bases of the hydroplanes need more work to get them right & the conning tower bridge needs to be done (deck, bulkheads & periscopes, etc.), plus, while I'm doing those, I can finish off the few small panel/seam lines that appeared on this pass.

Not too bad, really. :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2023, 10:56:33 PM »
Condolences on the cat front mate…  :(

The model is looking very cool - Gerry Anderson would have been proud!  :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2023, 10:14:34 AM »
Condolences on the cat front mate…  :(

The model is looking very cool - Gerry Anderson would have been proud!  :smiley:

I second these sentiments!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2023, 06:30:36 PM »
Thanks, guys! (On both counts.) :icon_alabanza:

Just as a bit of an addendum:

This is outside of my primary Alt. History & the base scenario is made up just for this build (it's how my mind works best). In this scenario Australia becomes a member of the nuclear family in the 1950's (either with/without British/US support). They develop (again, either with/without British/US support) IRBMs (possibly based on Blue Streak), nuclear-powered submarines & SLBMs, cruise missiles, etc.

In my mind Buccaneer is the second of the Privateer sub-class of the Pirate-class* of submarines (HMAS's Privateer, Buccaneer, Corsair, Seawolf & Marauder) which are SSBNs.

Then there is the Bushranger sub-class (HMAS's Bushranger, Highwayman, Outlaw, Brigand, Bandit, Blackleg, Hunter, Huntress, Stalker & Tracker), which don't have the bulged top & are attack (hunter-killer) submarines, which carry a lot of VLS cells & 6 torpedo tubes. [Note: Brigand, Bandit & Blackleg could be considered a sub-sub-class, as they are fitted out for covert op's insertion, extraction, command & control.]

Finally, there is the Smuggler sub-class (HMAAV**'s Smuggler, Gunrunner, Bootlegger, Freebooter, Drummer, Merchanter, Trader & Courier) which do have the hump but, rather than missile boats, they're submarine freighters designed to re-supply the other submarines & supply ground forces operating adjacent to heavily contested waters & where air superiority/supremacy has not been attained. They retain the self-defence suite of the Privateer sub-class.

[*: Pirate was the prototype/test vessel of the class &, although commissioned, was never operational.]
[**: HMAAV = Her/His Majesty's Australian Auxilliary Vessel]

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2023, 01:03:34 AM »
 I like the class names, but I am, ah, piratically inclined, shall we say? ;) The only thing I'd do differently would be to square off the tips of the dive planes-the rounded tips don't jibe with the rudders and the sail. Does the Buccaneer use shrouded props or a fancy MHD propulsion system?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2023, 01:34:26 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2023, 05:52:30 AM »
REally moving ahead... still really liking this. A lot

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2023, 06:28:57 PM »
The fairings for the hydroplanes have gone somewhat awry, so the build is in a hiatus for a bit, while I consider what to do about fixing them or, more likely, removing them & rebuilding them from scratch. :icon_crap:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2023, 08:19:20 PM »
The fairings for the hydroplanes have gone somewhat awry, so the build is in a hiatus for a bit, while I consider what to do about fixing them or, more likely, removing them & rebuilding them from scratch. :icon_crap:

Use Thruster tech for axis control. Hydroplanes are so last century ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2023, 05:23:26 PM »
I've started the rectification process on this & have some parts* ready to (hopefully) create better fairings but, as I'm on night shifts for a while, there won't be much happening for a few days, at least.

[*: I'm pretty sure they're poorly detailed 1/72 BL.755 Cluster bomb halves ... But I could be wrong, I just don't think I am. ;) ]

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2023, 04:08:26 PM »
Ten days?! :o

Finally, I've had a chance to do a tiny bit more work & fit the fairings. :D

First round of putty should happen on them tonight. :smiley:

Offline Claymore

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2023, 11:21:54 PM »
I've started the rectification process on this & have some parts* ready to (hopefully) create better fairings but, as I'm on night shifts for a while, there won't be much happening for a few days, at least.

Mate, you need to kick that work nonsense into touch! To misquote: ‘If work offends, cut it out’  ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2023, 08:10:04 AM »

Mate, you need to kick that work nonsense into touch! To misquote: ‘If work offends, cut it out’  ;)

Unfortunately, I'm not in a financial position which allows that. To retire right now I'd need to win the lotto. :icon_crap:

I should have stayed in the military (on the old DFRDB* scheme) & retired 20 to 15 years ago on 75-80% of my final annual pay, tax free, un-means-tested. ::)

[*: Defence Force Retirement & Death Benefits]

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2023, 01:08:45 AM »
I should have stayed in the military (on the old DFRDB* scheme) & retired 20 to 15 years ago on 75-80% of my final annual pay, tax free, un-means-tested. ::)

Ah yes.  MSBS is nowhere near as nice as DFRDB...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2023, 01:42:35 AM »
Blimey, 75-80% and tax-free… nice…

I’ll put a word in with the lotto dudes!  ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2023, 03:59:57 PM »
1st round of putty, sanding & primer has happened on the new fairings, & they're looking pretty good.

Do need to do some more work, though, & photo's will happen after I'm happy with them. :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2023, 04:59:32 PM »
After a delay due to illness & injury ...

Photo's of where I'm at tomorrow! :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2023, 09:17:57 AM »
Photo's of where I'm at:

Photo's were taken in the garage as there's a bit of a stiff breeze outside. making photography a bit difficult against the usual backdrop.

Now a few edited shots:

Hope that satisfies the current cravings! ;)

Next up is a bit of scribing...

...followed by the paint scheme! 8)

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2023, 12:20:47 PM »
Does satisfy current cravings.   Looks on its way to being in a starring roll in a movie.  :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2023, 01:28:56 PM »
Submarine or Sci Fi Corvette.. either way, really great work. Smooth as the proverbial.

Great stuff.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2023, 06:16:04 PM »
Thanks, gent's! :icon_alabanza:

It has taken a while to get her that smooth &, even so, there are a few little rough spots left, but the effort of removing them is more than the improvement in the smoothness is worth.

Now to work on the sensor suite & scribing panel lines.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2023, 05:04:44 AM »
This is looking spectacular! And, as finsrin said, tamps down the cravings for now  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2023, 10:57:00 PM »
Thanks, mate! :smiley:

"Panel lines" for the hatches of the 15 Trident II sized SLBM's scribed.

Some more scribing to go & the sensor suite (Just how they jam that much ... stuff, all of it retractable, into a conning tower is mind boggling! :icon_surprised: )