Author Topic: RAAF Mirages  (Read 2768 times)

Offline ScranJ51

• Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!
RAAF Mirages
« on: February 26, 2019, 03:40:16 PM »
Some may have seen a post where I had 6 Mirages (1/72nd) under construction.

These are now finished (and complement the 6 1/48 RAAF Mirages!)

RAAF Mirages 2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

RAAF Mirages 1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

The kits are 4 Hellier and 2 Aussie ones (Dual and 1 single)

A3-84 is 77 Squadron - a Recce bird with 2 x 286 Gal tanks:
77 by David Freeman, on Flickr

A3-86 is 76 Squadron:
76 by David Freeman, on Flickr

A3-75 is 75 Squadron:
75 by David Freeman, on Flickr
(Note - Hornet style tail as I didn't have the Magpie Chevron available)

A3-99 is 3 Squadron:
3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

A3-102 is 2 Operational Conversion Unit - 2OCU:
ocu by David Freeman, on Flickr

The dual sits very high on the rear gear - the High Planes Kit (hard to build).

The High Planes Single was a mongrel - very poor fit - so is shown as a flying version in overall grey and the old 3 Squadron marking - not accurate I know!)
A3-69:
Flyby by David Freeman, on Flickr

The 76 and 3 Squadron singles are fitted with SUU-20's:
SUU-20 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Enjoy - I spent 1976-1986 as a Controller at Williamtown, Butterworth, Darwin and Willy again controlling these lovely birds!!!
Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!

Offline arctic warrior

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: RAAF Mirages
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 12:54:57 AM »
I do like those OZ Mirages.  :D

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 01:42:26 AM »
I do like those OZ Mirages.  :D

Me too! Yet more proof (as if any more were needed) that few things spice up an aircraft like those famous red 'Roos!

Brian da Basher

Offline Klown

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 12:45:57 PM »
Nice. Will you be doing others in different schemes, NMF, the brown and green camo scheme etc?

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 08:16:35 AM »
Good to see some Oz Miracles  :smiley:
In 1983 I was part of a Fly-Away crew to RAAF Williamtown from HMAS Albatross with 724Sqn A-4G's and Macchi's operating out of 2OTU's hangar and crowded hardstand.
We did get individual or small flocks of Miracles dropping in to Albatross on occasion but it was interesting to watch Miracles in their natural habitat but their very short legs was noteworthy as our A-4's would be out for two to three hours the Miracles would be back after only 45min!! The unkind would say 'cause they'd fallen to A-4's  ;)
Mind you, being a Miracle, there were the odd comments on "lawn darts" and "Starfighter like ...." abilities  ;)
Quite a few Miracles both camo'ed and wrap around grey had washable hi-viz stripes for visibility painted over them, got lotsa pics just gotta find 'em. Also there were Singaporean Hunters making their "Thunderbirds Wooooooo" fly-by noises.
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 09:41:55 AM »
Being an ex-ground pounder, I only ever saw the Mirage on one exercise - Kangaroo'83 and then it was flying overhead.   On one day of the exercise, we heard the Mirages in the distance and I just looked up, at the Mirage as it flew directly overhead at the same rate as it flew past and I saw it in considerable detail.  Apart from that, never, ever, saw a Mirage.   I suppose they were off doing Mirage like things somewhere else. 

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 08:12:49 PM »
Being an ex-ground pounder, I only ever saw the Mirage on one exercise - Kangaroo'83 and then it was flying overhead.   On one day of the exercise, we heard the Mirages in the distance and I just looked up, at the Mirage as it flew directly overhead at the same rate as it flew past and I saw it in considerable detail.  Apart from that, never, ever, saw a Mirage.   I suppose they were off doing Mirage like things somewhere else.

Yes, often the problem with Air/Ground* relations is that the Air part is not necessarily directly over the Ground* part when covering its arse.

*: Read "Surface", 'coz the same goes at sea, too.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 11:01:48 AM »

Yes, often the problem with Air/Ground* relations is that the Air part is not necessarily directly over the Ground* part when covering its arse.

*: Read "Surface", 'coz the same goes at sea, too.

Oh, I can appreciate that.  Seems a shame though when those nasty, naughty A-4s from the Musrurian Air Force snuck past the Mirages and raided us.  Luckily I was in a non-Tac "protected" unit.  If we had been hit, no one would have eaten, had POL or anything else, except Water (which was elsewhere).  It allowed us to watch the shenanigans around us as the Musrurians attacked! 

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 02:11:05 PM »
Yeah, sneaky b@$t@rd$, those A-4 drivers! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline ScranJ51

• Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 09:41:39 PM »
Hi guys,

Sorry - been away for quite a while in Europe.

To answer your question Klown, no other Mirages planned.

I have done some Mirages in 1/48th a while ago - 2 x Swiss Mir3C and 1 x Mir3R, plus a full range of RAAF Mirages (1 x IIIO for 3, 75, 76, 77, 2OCU plus 1 x IIID for 2OCU and another IIID in ARDU colours).

Also have an old MIR3R in French colours, a MIR 2000 and a MIR4, again both in French Colours.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 09:50:30 PM by ScranJ51 »
Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 11:57:36 PM »
I'm not a keen fan of the Mirage but I do have a few built, a Mirage III single seater, a two seater version, F.1, 2000 and the IV (all 1/72). I don't think I've any in the stash waiting to be built though --