Author Topic: Panther tank and Jagdpanther  (Read 54498 times)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Re: Panther tank and Jagdpanther
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2022, 11:29:41 AM »
the Germans were experimenting with compound armour skirts - steel-concrete-wood layers in late '44/mid '45.  A few Panthers were fitted with mounts supposedly to take these but the same mounts were also fitted to other tanks to fit pontoon floatation devices for crossing rivers to Russia.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2022, 01:04:52 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2022, 03:19:59 AM »
In late 1940s, the Israeli high command considered starting production of modified Panthers but it was never realized. :(

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2023, 11:09:48 AM »
What if germans copied T-34 to produce a tank more german?

Offline Mig Eater

• Munch, Munch, Munch
    • Mig Eater Studio
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2023, 08:04:09 PM »
Something on my todo list, Flakpanther II with the Krupp 5.5cm turret, extra anti-air armour & maybe some Tiger II tracks.

Offline Mig Eater

• Munch, Munch, Munch
    • Mig Eater Studio
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2023, 08:14:15 PM »
Random idea:  Panther with Oscillating Turret.  Maybe even just use a turret from an AMX-13 and say that it was either a testbed vehicle or an upgrade?

Found this randomly on Reddit awhile ago, I quite like the concept & might try 3D printing it in the future.

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2023, 09:45:50 AM »
What if germans copied T-34 to produce a tank more german?

2nd iteration  :smiley:

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2024, 10:45:15 AM »
Saw this, thought "why?"
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/paper-panzer-productions-35008p-panther-mystery-brackets--939279

Found this on Reddit
This Panther A was found on a scrap yard in Eastern Europe. It has been sitting in a swamp for 40 years, and was later restored for the Littlefield Collection. When it was found, it sported six brackets on the sides of its hull. Their purpose is unknown. Suggestions are that they were attachment pointa for floatation devices similar to Allied DD tanks, or that they could take Wurfrahmen 40. There is also a picture of a Tiger 1 with those brackets.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #108 on: February 29, 2024, 07:30:06 AM »
These brackets were for mounting special armour skirts.  Seems the Germans did experiment with sandwich armour - concrete-sand-steel.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #109 on: February 29, 2024, 07:33:04 AM »
These brackets were for mounting special armour skirts.  Seems the Germans did experiment with sandwich armour - concrete-sand-steel.

Source, please

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #110 on: February 29, 2024, 07:34:54 AM »
I'll have to did it out of my old computer but I'm sure it came from a post on Missing Links some ears ago.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #111 on: February 29, 2024, 11:08:26 AM »
Can't find the article now as their forums have changed ISPs - attached some pics I saved from 2014.
some info here - https://www.track-link.com/forums/news_industry/44287

Pic of text below was saved in my old text files.  Sounds to me that someone is paraphrasing what the Polish worker's daughter said as HEAT projectiles etc were later than WW2.  But experiments with sandwich armour using concrete & wire-mesh makes sense.

Reliable research from Germany says that the initial purpose of Schurtzen was to defeat the Russian high-velocity anti-tank rifle.  Zimmeritt was to defeat the Russian "sticky bombs" (Bovington Museum said the zim on their tank was cancer-causing - contained asbestos etc).

Most likely these brackets were fitted to trial floating Panthers across rivers in Russia or to indeed fit wooden or composite Schurtzen against various RPG type weapons.  See pic of Pz-38t so fitted with floats below.
Panzer Art do a set for the wooden "zigzag armour" (not really believable -too modern) quite a few other German tanks (Pz-III & Pz-IV) used logs or planks.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 11:18:10 AM by raafif »

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2024, 10:03:07 AM »
This panther was rebuilt in France after the war by a junkyard owner.