Author Topic: SketchUp 3D Model - PAG-14 Concrete Airfield Plate  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
SketchUp 3D Model - PAG-14 Concrete Airfield Plate
« on: November 09, 2012, 02:21:31 AM »
PAG-14 Concrete Airfield Plates are available in resin and injection molded plastic for the modeler in 1:48th and 1:72nd scale.  I would like to see this modeled in 1:32nd and/or 1:35th scale but for now I have to be content with the smaller scale representations of these plates.  That did not stop me from trying to create my own interpretation of the PAG-14 concrete airfield plate in 1:1 scale using SketchUp 3D modeling program. 

Link to the finished 3D model that was uploaded to the 3D Warehouse at SketchUp: PAG-14 Concrete Airfield Plate (2.0 m X 6.0 m X 14.0 cm)

2D figure was added to provide a sense of scale in the first image. 

Second image is a profile view of the model.

Third image is a close up of the lifting ring details found at the sides and ends of the model. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: SketchUp 3D Model - PAG-14 Concrete Airfield Plate
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 11:34:46 AM »
I went back to my PAG-14 project and modified the original model to create a half-section of the full size PAG-14 plate which is purely fictional at this point unless someone can prove that it really exists outside of my imagination.  :)

After completing the half-section I decided to try my hand at modeling the hexagon shaped concrete airfield plate that was found at many of the Warsaw Pact and Russian airfields during the cold war.  While my 3D model is not spot-on it does capture the dimensions and with a few lifting rings around the circumference it looks convincing. 

The attached images show all three of the models in one image with a 2D figure to provide a sense of scale. 

If you wish to download the actual SketchUp 3D models you can go to the following links at the 3D Warehouse:

PAG-14 Concrete Airfield Plate Half-Section (2.0 m X 3.0 m X 14.0 cm)
PAG-Hexagonal Concrete Airfield Plate (R1.2 m X 14.0 cm)

Just in case anyone was interested in making their own physical model of the hexagonal shape the hexagonal shape in 1:1 scale is 2.07 m flat to flat with r=1.2m.  So for modeling purposes the scale calculations for the flat to flat dimensions of the hexagonal shape are:
1:72nd scale - 28.8mm
1:48th scale - 43.2mm
1:35th scale - 59.2mm
1:32nd scale - 64.7mm

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 04:49:04 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg