Author Topic: Ballistic Missile Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 8386 times)

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
Ballistic Missile Ideas and Inspiration
« on: December 26, 2012, 02:15:25 PM »
Hi Folks,

A thread dedicated to your Ballistic Missile Ideas and Inspiration.

To begin with, here is some information on Blue Streak originally supplied by Brian (aka Rickshaw):

I have just come across a very interesting blog, the "Ghost Rocket".  The blogger has some fascinating articles on Blue Streak.   

Article 1- http://ghostrocket.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/blue-streak-ballistic-missile.html#more

Article 2 - http://ghostrocket.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/blue-streak-part-2-launcher.html#more

Article 3 - http://ghostrocket.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/blue-streak-part-3-range-coverage.html#more

Article 4 - http://ghostrocket.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/blue-streak-part-4-coordinate-system.html

Article 5 - http://ghostrocket.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/blue-streak-part-5-silo.html

Article 6 - http://ghostrocket.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/blue-streak-part-6-concluding-thoughts.html
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:08:07 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
Re: Ballistic Missile Ideas and Inspiration
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 12:10:24 PM »
I've wondered from time to time how the B-58 Hustler would do as an ALBM carrier.
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 01:23:40 PM »
I've wondered from time to time how the B-58 Hustler would do as an ALBM carrier.
According to the revised edition of the Aerofax book on the B-58, there were studies along those lines.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 01:31:29 PM »

B-58,,,  I be thinking F-15 style ASAT missile launch platform.
Try it with four F-15 engines.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 01:35:23 PM »

B-58,,,  I be thinking F-15 style ASAT missile launch platform.
Try it with four F-15 engines.
I'm doing one in a Pathfinder/Pathmaker mode with four PW1120 engines and four SRAM replacing the B43 stores underwing.

jetboy

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 05:46:54 PM »
Hi Folks,

A thread dedicated to your Ballistic Missile Ideas and Inspiration.

To begin with, here is some information on Blue Streak originally supplied by Brian (aka Rickshaw):

I have just come across a very interesting blog, the "Ghost Rocket".  The blogger has some fascinating articles on Blue Streak.   

Article 1- http://ghostrocket.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/blue-streak-ballistic-missile.html#more

Article 2 - http://ghostrocket.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/blue-streak-part-2-launcher.html#more

Article 3 - http://ghostrocket.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/blue-streak-part-3-range-coverage.html#more

Article 4 - http://ghostrocket.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/blue-streak-part-4-coordinate-system.html

Article 5 - http://ghostrocket.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/blue-streak-part-5-silo.html

Article 6 - http://ghostrocket.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/blue-streak-part-6-concluding-thoughts.html
Hi,just looked through this,in the first article,its the first time ive seen,photo no4 ,its a combination of two of my favourite kits,excellent for a diorama,going to have to look at this more,[slightly salivating],dont you just love randomly finding finding something good,thanks very much,must make some room on my bench,back at work next week,so need to get a move on?excellent thread BTW,cheers Don,   ps heres the two combined kits,imho

Don

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 02:11:18 AM »
Pershing III - an ICBM derivative of the Pershing II by adding a zeroth stage booster.  It would've been a simple way to expand the US aresenal, particularly after Pershing Ii's were removed from Europe.

Offline AGRA

• Took the opportunity to tease us with a RAAF F-82
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 08:26:37 AM »
That was a proposal for the SICBM (aka Midgetman) program. But I think under the INF treaty missiles had to be destroyed and couldn't be converted to other uses.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 11:15:54 AM »
That reminds me of an off-the-wall idea a friend and I came up with for rail-mobile SICBM.  The Soviets wanted to be able to observe them and we schemed to put a launch control car and three launchers at the back end of various Amtrak long-distance passenger trains and give the Soviets the timetable.  Given Amtrak's demonstrated on-time performance, they'd have real difficulty tracking them.

jetboy

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 04:22:51 PM »
HI,Im very suprised,that no one has modelled the V2 launchs,off railway wagons,must of been the first ever launch of this type,ive only
ever seen 2 photographs of said launch,s,but looked an intresting subject,aaaah two many models,too many subjects?...cheers Don

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 02:58:13 AM »
A Train based V-2 ala below would look interesting:

How about a Me-323 doing some sort of air launch of a V-2?

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 04:48:34 AM »
you'd have to modify the Me323 with an aft ramp or hatch.  Trying to launch by opening the front hatch would be a dfificult undertaking at best.  Wonder how it'd do for launching a winged vehicle such as an A4b or A-9?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 04:51:14 AM by elmayerle »

jetboy

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 05:06:31 AM »
you'd have to modify the Me323 with an aft ramp or hatch.  Trying to launch by opening the front hatch would be a dfificult undertaking at best.  Wonder how it'd do for launching a winged vehicle such as an A4b or A-9?
HI,you have only to look at the V1,s most of them were air launched from heinkel,s i think?..Don

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 05:55:06 AM »
Avro “Big Wheel” mobile Minuteman launcher

Source: Aerospace Projects Review. Scott Lowther.

Full write up is here.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 03:27:40 AM »
Random idea:  Truck mounted version of Trident SLBM.

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 03:30:55 PM »
You know, I can't convey how impressed I am with the Soviets/Russians fortitude and resolution to design, build and field the full spectrum of missiles complexes - be it surface to air missiles, road-mobile anti-ship missile complexes, to their simply amazing battlefield to Inter-continental ballistic missiles!!😯 The West has nothing on them.

M.A.D

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2020, 10:26:27 PM »
You know, I can't convey how impressed I am with the Soviets/Russians fortitude and resolution to design, build and field the full spectrum of missiles complexes - be it surface to air missiles, road-mobile anti-ship missile complexes, to their simply amazing battlefield to Inter-continental ballistic missiles!!😯 The West has nothing on them.

M.A.D

When the State doesn't have to answer to the people in any way, shape or form, especially when it has sole control of all primary production, resource allocation & manufacturing, it can do anything it wants to. So, of course the Soviets could achieve more than Western governments, Western governments had to justify their military expenditure to the voting populace or get kicked out of office.

I don't know if modern Russia works the same way, but, under Putin, the results seem to be pretty-much the same.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2021, 03:02:01 AM »
Random idea:  Truck mounted version of Trident SLBM.

Originally from eBay:

The father of a friend worked for Lockheed Corporation's space and missile program for 35 years, during the 1950's-60's arms race of Cold War, when plans were being made to produce land-based mobile Polaris nuclear missile launchers, which were to look like normal civilian tractor trailer rigs. They never went into production, but this was a scale demonstrator model prototype example of what they proposed. Using the cab, axles, and wheels manufactured by the Smith Miller Toy Company, Lockheed engineers designed and fabricated the trailer and launch mechanism out of of aircraft aluminum. The missiles, which measure 21 in. in length x 3 1/4 in. in diameter are made of fiberglass with a Styrofoam core. The missiles are launched using a co2 cartridge, which is hand activated by a spring-loaded "firing pin" (see pic of control center). I haven't test fired the misslie, but there are few moving parts integral to actual firing. The launch tube is made of a PVC type of composite. The rest of the trailer, and launch tube lifting mechanism is of various metals, mostly aluminum, including countersunk aircraft type screws. This model was carried in a custom fitted Samsonite suitcase to transport for demonstrations. Although the case has protected the vehicle from damage, for the most part, the polyurethane foam used for cushioning has degraded over the years of storage, stuck to, and compromised the paint finish, mostly to one side. Looks like rust, but it is actually foam (see pics). Polaris missile decal is in good shape. The only real damage I see, outside of a seam split to the fiberglass covering of one missile, and some dings from missile landings, is broken/loose top hinges on the rear doors (We'll call it "light play" by rocket scientists). Truck measures approximately 31 in. in length, and weighs about 18 lbs. Will be shipped in suitcase. International bidders please email for shipping quote prior to bidding. Please email any questions prior to placing bid. Buyer to pay shipping.