Author Topic: Westland white shark  (Read 3175 times)

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
Westland white shark
« on: October 29, 2016, 01:15:47 AM »
(True), Westland built a number of twin float Wapiti aircraft, as used by among others, 84 Sqn RAF at Basrah, in the 1930's, along with standard models.
(Whiff)  Trying to gain some of the floatplane market from Fairy etc, Westland tried to make a lighter floatplane using, a single center float with small outboards, to save weight and drag. They did better with the former than the latter, using the later Wallace aircraft.

The gunners position was not popular due to the airflow whipping round the canopy when raised. Later mods to add a clear side panel that raised with the rest did little to help.
Bombs, depth charges or SAR equipment could be carried, along with the two man crew, and it was in the latter role that the White shark had most success, in use with the SAAF in WW2. Fifteen were bought in 1936 and  the remaining dozen served in wartime until February 1944, in the SAR role only, after October 1942.
SAAF aircraft scared two RN submarines and sank one German freighter, but helped save twenty three lives.

Another sixteen were sold throughout South America, in threes and fours, but details of service are vague.

Bomb load = 1,600lb,  Guns, = 1x303 fired through prop by pilot, 1x 303 for gunner. Range fully loaded 380 miles,  cruise 129 mph, top speed 152 mph, service ceiling 19,500 ft.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 01:17:48 AM by pigflyer »
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Westland white shark
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 03:31:53 AM »
That's exceptionally well done! I especially like your mod to the rear gun. Your White Shark looks every bit the business!

Extra kudos for tackling a biplane! We don't see enough of them around here.

Brian da Basher

Offline pigflyer

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 06:41:52 PM »
 ;)Thanks Brian, thats the result of time off work and inspiration coinciding.  Maybe I can do something with spats soon.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 10:51:32 PM »
;)Thanks Brian, thats the result of time off work and inspiration coinciding.  Maybe I can do something with spats soon.

That would be great cheer to me.
:D :D :D
Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 08:12:45 AM »
Very nice! Frog/Novo Wallace with Kingfisher floats?
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 07:06:08 PM »
Very nice build Mr. Flying Porcine.

I am sucker for NMF finishes.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline pigflyer

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 01:00:44 AM »
Spot on my friend, new collector ring from the spares box, same source for gun and mount, some sprue (and beyond???) for the exhaust. Head rest was F16 I think.

Thank you BG, always great to please another whiffer or two. And in truth, it's you guys that inspire, so take some credit.   :) :D :D

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 01:19:33 AM »
Spot on my friend, new collector ring from the spares box, same source for gun and mount, some sprue (and beyond???) for the exhaust. Head rest was F16 I think.

Thank you BG, always great to please another whiffer or two. And in truth, it's you guys that inspire, so take some credit.   :) :D :D

I had a Novo Wallace about 40 years ago. Now I wish I had kept it.  ;)
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...